• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What spells do you not allow?

dungeon blaster

First Post
Are there spells that you think are overpowered or just plain "broken"? I've heard some bad things about the book of exalted deeds. Any spells in there that you wish were never invented? :)

dungeon blaster said:
Are there spells that you think are overpowered or just plain "broken"? I've heard some bad things about the book of exalted deeds. Any spells in there that you wish were never invented? :)

I've heard some people complain that a lot of the spells in the Spell Compendium are overpowered or broken but I don't know which ones specifically.

Olaf the Stout

Nyaricus

First Post
I'm slowly switching over my games to Elements of Magic, so in that case: all of them :p:D

But otherwise, I've never banned any spells, and my players are a ways from being 'D&D masters', so I don't have anything really to worry about right now :p

Some, I've eyeballed and reduced in power, or otherwise changed them if I felt it was needed. But I'm not really much for magical stuff anyways, so this really doesn't come up all that much - in my case.

cheers,
--N

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I usually open up most books for feats, classes, PrCs, and magic items, but I have yet to allow players to pick spells from outside the PHB. I occasionally give access to non-core spells as special rewards. (and the players get *very* excited about them)
-blarg

Shemeska

Adventurer
Outside of ruling that casting 'Sanctify the Wicked' is an abhorrently evil action in most circumstances, and adding a save to Harm/Heal, there's nothing I've really restricted or altered, and nothing that I've outright banned.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I rarely ban anything ahead of time (unless it doesn't fit my campaign world), but I insist on approval before taking anything outside of the Core + Completes, plus a certain few additional books like Hyperconscious, Oriental Adventures, and Book of the Righteous.

And I run pretty wide open campaigns- 3rd party stuff is perfectly welcome at my table.

Particle_Man

Explorer
1) BoED is 3.5, but BoVD is 3.0. Go figure.

2) I haven't banned spells as such, but some campaigns I have restricted to various classes, which in effect stops certain spells on certain class spell lists. And once in Iron Heroes I just banned all casters period, so there I guess I banned all spells (but allowed myself to use the Dire Sorceror Villain Class, mwahaha!).

3) If I ever got high enough level I might worry about Mordenkainen's Disjunction. And I would have to take a look at Polymorph (I am moving towards a list of critters that you could turn into, along the lines of Summon Monster X).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads