• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What spells have an effect through a Wall of Force?

Zenon

First Post
Basically, see the thread title for the question. For example:

I am in a room and someone casts a Wall of Force, covering the doorway. Assuming I do not have the ability to either dispel, teleport to the other side, passwall through a stone wall or disintegrate it, what can I do? How can I affect things via magic/spell-like abilities that are on the other side?

Can I Summon a creature via Summon Monster and have it appear on the opposite side of the wall than the caster? Anything else?

As a secondary question, what effects of spells on my side of the room can penetrate the Wall and affect creatures on the other side? For example, I cast Darkness. Does the effect penetrate to the other side of the wall or is it contained by the wall? Gaze attacks? What about other spells? How do I determine if a spell needs a line of effect along with a line of sight besides the obvious ones like Fireball or Lightning Bolt?

These may be simple questions, but I'm just blanking out on the answers to them. Help!

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My first inclination is to say "gaze spells only," so you can use eyebite. But since the wall is transparent, regular light will also travel through it. Magical effects like searing light will not.

I'm not sure about darkness; I'm pretty sure that it doesn't, and virtually everything else is blocked by having no line of effect. You can't summon a monster on the far side, either.

As a reminder for folks who haven't read it recently:
Line of Effect: A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by
a solid barrier. It's like line of sight for ranged weapons, except it's not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit
normal sight.

The character must have a clear line of effect to any target that the character casts a spell on or to any space in which the
character wishes to create an effect. The character must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell the
character casts. For bursts, cones, cylinders, and emanating spells, the spell only affects areas, creatures, or objects to which it
has line of effect from its origin (a burst's point, a cone's starting point, a cylinder's circle, or an emanating spell's point of
origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell's line of effect.
Such an opening makes a 5-foot length of wall no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell's line of effect (though the
rest of the wall farther from the hole can still block the spell).

Note that you COULD summon an earth elemental and, if you spoke terran (or had tongues active), have it travel right through the stone wall to fight your foe. If you are powerful enough to summon monsters that CAN teleport or dimension door, that would be another way to get over.

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
Ahh, thanks for the quote PC, that's what I was looking for.

Yeah, I was hoping for direct effect spells. I didn't think there were many (if any at all) that could go through it.

Actually, this situation came up in game (with me as the DM and one of my NPC's cut off like the question states). I didn't have him cast anything through the wall because it was nagging at me that he couldn't, but I just wanted to be sure if it came up again.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Force effects would still work right? So you could target someone on the other side with Magic Missles or a Bigby's Clenched Fist, I think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads