Starfinder What Starfinder stuff should I grab after Christmas?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm not a huge Pathfinder fan, but after my brush with Spelljammer 5e, it seems like Starfinder is definitely the way to go for "D&D in space" with more publisher support than a single (pretty railroaded) campaign (and better support for creating your own adventures). So...

I already own the core book, core book pawn collection, and the GM screen. I'm thinking of picking up the first Alien Archive and the Beginner Box. What other books should I pick up (assuming I'll have some extra scratch after Christmas)?

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
As someone who just started collecting Starfinder a couple months ago...
I don't find the Beginner Box so great. The rules are way stripped down and may prove a confusing transition to the full game (in ways the Pathfinder boxes were not). But just my opinion.
I liked the campaign book of the Pact Worlds. The Armory has useful equipment. The Operations Manual has some cool new classes.
I haven't seen Unchained yet, but theoretically it has new options and revised starship combat, if that's something you want.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Oh! That's good info on the Beginner Box. I might just buy some of the flip mats separately, then. And Pact Worlds seems like a must have upon further investigation. Thank you for the tips!

As someone who just started collecting Starfinder a couple months ago...
I don't find the Beginner Box so great. The rules are way stripped down and may prove a confusing transition to the full game (in ways the Pathfinder boxes were not). But just my opinion.
I liked the campaign book of the Pact Worlds. The Armory has useful equipment. The Operations Manual has some cool new classes.
I haven't seen Unchained yet, but theoretically it has new options and revised starship combat, if that's something you want.
Do you think the Pact Worlds book would be a good pickup just to read? I’m interested in Starfinder, but not sure I’ll really have time to get into it since I already have 2 games I run.

Retreater

Legend
Do you think the Pact Worlds book would be a good pickup just to read? I’m interested in Starfinder, but not sure I’ll really have time to get into it since I already have 2 games I run.
I thought it was interesting world building. It's also not on Archives of Nethys and will likely be mostly backwards compatible with the new edition.

I thought it was interesting world building. It's also not on Archives of Nethys and will likely be mostly backwards compatible with the new edition.
That's what I was thinking. I also just noticed I apparently have the PDF from a Humble Bundle. I should probably starting checking my PDFs more often to see what I already have.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I ended up putting Dead Suns on my wish list, as well as Drift Crisis and the accompanying flip mat. Also, Pact Worlds and Near Space. And a friend picked me up the Alien Archive as a Yule gift. I think that seems like a pretty solid place to start. What say you?

Remove ads