• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What strange or oddball campaigns are you using d20 Modern for?

Psychotic Jim

First Post
What strange or unique campaigns are you using it for/have ideas for? My group has used it (and Urban Arcana) to run a few Illuminati University/IOU d20 games (originally a GURPS setting). I'm also thinking about running a quasi-anime fantasy mecha-game with magically powered mecha in a pseudo-medieval/Reinassance setting, with a few other magic-tech anachronisms.

d4

First Post
i had an idea for the typical "throw some modern people into a fantasy world" type campaign, except the fantasy world was going to be Frank Baum's Oz, re-imagined as a more D&D-esque dark fantasy world.

Moe Ronalds

First Post
We've been using it primarily for a humor game we've been running, with no real plot other than whatever havoc our characters wreak.

The characters so far include Eugene, The Geneticist- a decidedly twisted 12 year old boy with a giant underground lab, various pets (including a winged octobunny and a squeeglyspooch flaying illithid who was once a dog), a machete, a watch that clones him upon death (though the clones are usually damaged somehow) and head (sans skull and various organs) which is permenantly grafted to his hand like some sort of squishy sock puppet.

DIR, The insane Taco craving robot.

Serial Number 1138 (formerly carl), Eugene's younger brother and first experiment. It is unknown what exists beneath his bandages (which completely wrap him up) but 1138 can control said bandages at will, as well as use them to open a can of magical whoop-a:) :)

Brain- A brain. In a jar. Attached to a robotic platform with a variety of uses (not the least of which being releasing a fluid into peoples' necks via hypodermic needle, causing their minds to turn to mush and to follow the brains psychic commands). He also has a legion of Samurai Squirrels.

Ned The Narcoleptic- A doctor with a tendency to fall asleep. While asleep, dreams he is a Jedi. Conveniently enough, he possesses two lightsabres.

Some Dude- some guy we found when we broke 1138 out of the loony bin. Seems to have the power to teleport, as well as travel through time space and beyond.

So far our antics have included preventing a hostage attempt, genetically altering the hostages after we saved them, scouring the city for tacos, pouring gene-altering fluid into the slurpee machine at the mall, creating several small armies, permenantly altering Eugene so that every time he speaks there's a 5% chance he'll break into song and be unnable to stop (with Winged Octobunnies playing the instruments) and combating a giant Michael Jackson clone, and taking out half of New Jersey in the process.

All in all a fun time. :D

ElectricDevil

First Post
I'm working on a d20 Modern version of Steve Jackson's Munchkin game supplements, called "Modern Munchkin." Probably something I'll do as a one-shot, but so far it's been a lot of fun.

"Really Strong Hero", "Really Fast Hero", etc. :D

psychognome

First Post
So many ideas, so little time. For the record I've been planning to run at least one Mecha Crusade game with a lot of social stuff and teen angst, an Urban Arcana game where the characters are in College, and a whole bunch of less sophisticated ideas. I might use it to run a completely tongue in cheek game, but I'll have to get a good concept for that first of all...

takyris

First Post
My group is currently in discussion as to which of the four long-term campaigns they want to play:

1) "A Bit of Everything" Humans fighting against a covert alien invasion that has been going on for thousands of years, using surreptitious help from the fey, reincarnation to past lives (adventures in different points in history), and modern-day action to fend off the invaders.

2) "Law & Order & CSI & Homicide & Faerie" Law enforcement people (PCs could be detectives, CSI scientists, police psychologists/profilers, or even district attorneys) working together on cases and gradually realizing that the new crimelod in town is a whole lot weirder than they'd bargained on...

3) "H.P. Lovecraft meets the Sopranos" For generations, the Garloni family was a major contender among the powerful crime families. Then, when they discovered dark forces trying to make their way into the world, they turned their criminal interests to better use, albeit reluctantly, using the money from their criminal organizations to fund forces to defeat the shadows. PCs can play members of the family or reluctant folks who have seen too much and must now either join up or wear cement galoshes.

4) "Stargate only here" When an archaeology team uncovers what just might be the lost city of Atlantis, they have to figure out who the Atlanteans were, where they went, and why, in defiance of all logic, Atlantis seems to be located a few hundred miles off the coast of Washington state. And when they realize that the Atlanteans were attacked, and had time to escape, it leads to questions about whether the Atlanteans ever really left Earth at all...

Voneth

First Post
For starters I am throwing together:
  • One part d20 Modern conversion of Fantasy Flight's "Mad Max" one-shot product called "Redline"
    One part d20 Modern psi classes
    One part "SG-1 slipped into an alternate reality from the Stargate" epsiode concept
    And maybe one part from the novel "Snowfall" where it was an ice age that did civilization in, not WW III.
"You see, you see none of this is really real! You, you were never a gas station attendent -- well maybe in high school, but I am only guessing. You are an officer in the Air Force! And this guy here, he's not even human from where I come from."

Last edited:

Skinwalker

First Post
My d20 Modern campaign is called New Moon Investigations. The PCs are investigators of the supernatural.

Magic is real, but weaker than it once was. Psychic phenomena really can happen. The walls between the realities of various dimensions are thin in some places. There are those who walk among us who are not natural, but supernatural. There are dark conspiracies made behind closed doors. Large-scale secret organizations exist, with goals ranging from espionage to global domination. Aliens from other worlds go around turning cows inside out and abducting people for bizarre experiments.

Full details are available at www.aldenminor.com my campaign home.

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Hmm, where to start? My campaign is a conglomeration of Rifts, D&D, and Star Wars. It's primarily the Rifts setting, with D&D and SW races placed into key areas. There are no cyber kinghts, with Jedi Knights replacing them. I'm working on ideas to expand the setting to the stars. I'll be using the Aliens Unlimited books to expand the Milky Way Galaxy, and maybe even put in some hints to the Three Galaxies/Cosmic Forge Region.

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads