• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What stuff from 3.5e/3e/2e/1e/od&d should go into 5.5e?

Faolyn

(she/her)
That's all true. But given that these days multiple classes can use the same spell, the spell section is a resource for multiple classes, not unlike combat or environmental conditions. As vestiges are only usable by the one class, it's more like including 28 pages of Battlemaster maneuvers.

I'm not saying I don't like it. It's just very space-intensive.
I'm looking at a list of vestiges on the GitP forums, and it seems like you can probably condense a lot of the vestiges into just a few lines if you replace some abilities with spells. Plus there's probably a few that wouldn't get converted.

For instance, the vestige Andras (grabbed at random) seems to grant some sort of weapon proficiency, advantage in Animal Handling, and the spells summon speed, enemies abound, and probably either a paladin-like smite or the ability to cast one or more of the paladin's smite spells, each usable X times. The only iffy bit is the description talks about something called "Sure Blows" and I don't know if that would be advantage on attacks, a flat bonus, or something else, and if it can be used with any weapon or only a specific one.

Now, since I don't know the binder class (looks cool, though), there's probably some vestiges that would be a lot harder to convert like this. But I'm pretty sure you could reduce each vestige to a couple of paragraphs at most and save a lot of room.

Remove ads