• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What style of RPG Adventures do you prefer ?

What style of RPG do you like to play ?

• Pure sandbox

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • mostly sandbox

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • a mix of sandbox & plot/goal

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • mostly plot/goal

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • pure plot/goal

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • something else, I will explain below...

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I do not play RPGs

• I'm confused, what' the difference between sandbox & plot

• Poll closed .

underfoot007ct

First Post
I like non railroady adventures. I do not want to sit back as the GM hands us his story, and I am not huge into pure sandbox either. i want interesting situations, powergroups and characters with plen of freedom. I like adventures that are driven by the interaction of these things. So quite into urban adventures, particularly investigations and intrigue.

I think that the "railroad/linear" adventure is mostly a product of the beginner/rookie DM. With time & experience DMs can create better adventures, I know that is very true for myself. Even if the players have few choices, they need to have the illusion of choice.

I think that the "railroad/linear" adventure is mostly a product of the beginner/rookie DM. With time & experience DMs can create better adventures, I know that is very true for myself. Even if the players have few choices, they need to have the illusion of choice.

The illusion of choice is still a railroad, just disguised by the gm. I dont mind plot. But i do mind the gm not allowing pc choices to matter or direct the flow of events.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I prefer plot with options, meaning I want a story, and a preferred direction offered by the DM; some form of plot. But I don't want to hand-held, just pointed in the right direction. All adventures I design whether for personal games or publication, there is a definite goal in mind - deliver the package, rescue the princess, escape the pursuers. Just how to get there isn't set in stone, allow the PCs the freedom of deciding how best to pursue the goal.

I've played many total sandbox games, and honestly, they bore me to tears. I prefer an overarching story or plot that drives the goals of the PCs. Walking in the fog and fighting single encounters after single encounters without rhyme or reason is the kind of game I don't want to play.

And regarding HowandWhy's post of computer versions of these games... I'd rather be stabbed in the eye seventeen times then to ever play a computer game. I don't need some 3D modelers idea of what the terrain looks like - I see a better version in my head and it probably won't match what the 3D artist considers it does.

And this is coming from somebody who does 3D modeling from time to time, as I also incorporate some 3D objects for my mapping. I consider tabletop RPGs and computer RPGs as apples and oranges. And really, really, bad tasting oranges at that...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads