• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Subclasses would you like to see?

aramis erak

Legend
I feel you're getting hung-up on labels. It doesn't matter if it's called a rogue or a fighter, what matters are the results.

I agree with you that Thieves' Cant sticks out, and I'd prefer a way to do without. But skill monkey? When was the last time we saw a swashbuckler character who wasn't athletic/acrobatic/silver-tongued? Skill monkey makes perfect sense.

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done as a fighter, just that--to me--rogue is actually a better fit.

You're showing a bias towards the Musketeer period duelist...

But duelist also applies to certain 13th and 14th century judicial champion types, and to certain others of that ilk. It also applies to many Celtic tribal types, and some "Viking" types. All of whom tend to be far less multi-talented, and far more single-weapon or sword-n-board types, in chain or bezanted.

And it also can be applied to the gladiators.

It can even apply to the Jouster, tho' he's as likely as not a different sub-class of fighter... the Cavalier.

For those types, a fighter subclass is a better fit. Only for the Musketeer era is the default character a wise-cracking skill monkey as portrayed by Alexandre Dumas and his imitators.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
"Swashbuckling" may be more of a genre rule than an archetype. Maybe it doesn't belong in baseline D&D -- and if you're playing in a more swashbuckling genre, maybe you give all PCs a new unarmored option, rather than expecting everyone to pick the same subclass/feat.

Delandel

First Post
Its not a subclass but 2 feats were tossed out in Morrus's feat thread that might work for you in a pinch.

Daggermaster
Thrown Weapon Master

I do agree though that a daggermaster subclass might work well. Might add that to the to-do list. What do you think the concept needs that can't currently be done (or do the feats pretty much cover it)?

Hmm. I quite like it. The idea of being encouraged to swap between melee and ranged is quite nice and makes dagger throwing stand out compared to other ranged attack methods. I think it's still a bit behind the bow/xbow, because you're taking 2 feats instead of just Sharpshooter. You ignore disadvantage in melee and you have a conditional advantage every other turn (a bit clunky, it's stuck on that target, and rogues wouldn't benefit from this as much), but Sharpshooter has the almighty power attack.

Hmm, for a full-fledged subclass, I would like the 3rd level ability to bump up the dagger's damage to at least match a bow/xbow. I imagine dagger throwers to be the flashy/unorthodox type, using precise shots to disarm / pin / trip an opponent. In terms of utility, we've got a Thief and Assassin, what about a party face as the daggermaster?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I have also thought that switching a class ability for a feat at first level would be a good way to make specialized classes.

Eric V

Hero
A 4e rogue would have done you just fine. If you don't play 4e, would not the Swashbuckler class with the Duelist prestige class have done the job for you? I get it means not making multiple attacks necessarily, but it also prevents multiple attacks -against- you.

I may be wrong; I barely remember 3.5

In which edition? In d20, the version I'm most familiar with, what most tends to force that is the iterative attacks. If you want to actually be successful as a fighter and deal significant amounts of damage, you can't move. If you can't move, you'll fall down very quickly without heavy armor.

I've tried many, many times to make lightly-armored fast moving "strikers" in d20, often utilizing combinations of barbarian and ranger and more to multiclass my way into effectiveness. I've played around with all kinds of rogue/fighter hybrids and swashbuckler/duelist classes.

All of them, compared to a heavily armored stationary fighter, end up with relatively low AC and relatively low damage output potential. The best I was able to get was a barbarian/ranger shifter with the reachrunner prestige class which gave me, essentially, the Pounce ability from the MM (it had a different name, and it was a class feature, but that's more or less what it was.) With that, I could be extremely mobile and yet still deal significant damage. Although after I hit, I was toast after taking a few hits back.

EDIT: The rogue from Trailblazer is also somewhat effective, but again, with its low hit dice and only situationally decent BAB, it's not really a contender for being effective in the archetype.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Okay, I have seen a few versions of 'light fighters'/swashbucklers around here, but none quite gave me what I was after.

After pursuing new classes, I ended up with a simple 'Unfettered' class option (much like the 'no-spell' ranger). You can see it here on our D&D Classes Page: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-classes

This simple and easy option doesn't overcomplicate matters and even better, means it can still be combined with any archetype.

While we are on archetypes, I had a go at developing 3 of those too. 2 of them really play on light fighter archetypes, the 3rd any fighter.

The archetypes can be found by following the links on the Classes Page, or here: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/fighter-archetypes

BTW: Do people think these would be suitable for submission to En5ider?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads