• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What super hero game is for me?

Ok i love super heroes (specifically DC comics).
Ive tried M&M 1e and 2e. Neither offer me enough customization for me and to be honest are too simple. Im one of those guys that like really complicated games, but makes sense once you get into it. I only like the OWOD Storyteller as far as simple systems go, so i have considered Aberrant as my Supers game, thouhg im afraid it's really limited.
I looked at Hero system 5th edition(though i would like to see some iconic characters made with this system. Like what would Superman, Spiderman or Batman look like in this system if you really spent alot of time making the characters?) and thought it looked like my cup of tea, but dont know much about it.
I dont want classes and levels in my Supers-Game. Point based works really well.
I have played the WEG DC Universe and it's ok, but if i want to say make the hulk with his ability to get stronger the madder he gets, it isnt really possible with the WEG's system.

So can anyone point me in the right direction for a really detailed game.

Anyway thanks for any help you guys can give me.

teitan

Legend
By your standards I suggest Hero 5 or Silver Age Sentinels. To get an idea of how characters look in Hero 5 pick up the Champions sourcebook and Champions Universe which have several "Icon" style characters in them. SAS has a lot of characters in its core book already that would fit your criteria of a look at how the system handles the "icons". Hero tends to run a wee bit slow until your players and you get used to the system (I still use 4th) and SAS does just as much as Hero but runs much smoother and faster from the getgo.

J

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Well, since you don't want levels or classes, you don't want d20.

Things to keep in mind, not all supers are created equal. Even in a point based system, some characters (Superman, The Hulk, assorted gods) require vastly more points than others.

Based upon what I have heard and know, Hero system (i.e. Champions) is probably for you. Very flexible, very super heroic, completely point based. Making characters takes hours (sometimes days) unless you are very good at what you do, and resolving a combat ... well, we never finished it, though maybe we're just a bunch of quitters.

Good Luck!

(You don't want d20, and while that means many things it also means that this thread is probably in the wrong forum and should be moved to General.)

Your right it is in the wrong forum. I had a brian fart sorry.

Yeah i kinda wanted a whole "not all supers are created equally."

Thanks, i think im gonna get hero 5th edition. It sounds like it's what i want. I dont mind long character generation or long battles. I just wanted some confirmation from people who have played the various games.

Crossfire.ue

First Post
Use the Tri-Stat version of Silver Age Sentinels if you want to stay away from classes and levels. The nice thing about that is, if you do decide to switch to D20, there is a D20 version of SAS as well, with nifty conversion rules included.

Look for the free download of the Tri-X rules in PDF format from (the now defunct) Guardians of Order.

R.

Have you looked at Palladium Books Heroe's Unlimited? it is a Level and Class system but is really good system and there is a bunch of books out for it as well. I use to run the system and you can find the equivalent powers for the Icons you are talking about, if not you could go to their forum and someone will help you out with which powers the characters would have.

I ran a Villian's campaign and was quite fun especially when I tried a Villians and Heroe's campaign where the Heros were tracking them down, bad thing was that young kids were playing the Heros and young adults were playing the villians. I even had one of the villians follow the heros and tried to give them clues as well. We were trying to inspire leadership and team-work for the younger players at our shop.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Arashi Ravenblade said:
Ok i love super heroes (specifically DC comics).
Ive tried M&M 1e and 2e. Neither offer me enough customization for me and to be honest are too simple. Im one of those guys that like really complicated games, but makes sense once you get into it. I only like the OWOD Storyteller as far as simple systems go, so i have considered Aberrant as my Supers game, thouhg im afraid it's really limited.
I looked at Hero system 5th edition(though i would like to see some iconic characters made with this system. Like what would Superman, Spiderman or Batman look like in this system if you really spent alot of time making the characters?) and thought it looked like my cup of tea, but dont know much about it.
I dont want classes and levels in my Supers-Game. Point based works really well.
I have played the WEG DC Universe and it's ok, but if i want to say make the hulk with his ability to get stronger the madder he gets, it isnt really possible with the WEG's system.

So can anyone point me in the right direction for a really detailed game.

Anyway thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Sighs.

If you want a complicated game, then why are you passing up on the long-established Champion RPG (powered by the HERO System from HERO Games)?

And what is so wrong with simplicity? Way too beneath you?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmm...I know you checked it out, but M&M is pretty doggone flexible. Its my second favorite system after HERO- 85% of the flexibility and 50% of the complexity. And there are groups that will post archtypes for their use. Check out http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/mnm_hall_of_heroes/

At this time, you probably can't find too many archetypal supers in HERO stats form in print for the game anymore- there used to be several in some OoP game mags, like the Teen Titans, X-Men, Magneto, DNAgents and many many others- but that was 2 editions and many years ago.

You might, however, do a search on the web- there are several groups (like the one I mentioned above) out there that might do just that. You should especially check the HERO message boards.

As for other issues- while each PC in HERO starts off with the same amount of power points to distribute, PCs can vary greatly within a given point total depending upon the care taken in PC construction.

Pretty much, HERO can model whatever you conceive. In all my years of playing the game (back to the first version), the only problem I've seen is making a true "homing" attack- the only ones I've seen have been some unofficial/semi-official "homing" power advantages. Of course, you can make the attack as arbitrarily accurate as you wish (simulating homing), or you can use on of the undefined power advantages and work out its value with your GM.

Last edited:

Remove ads