• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What tabletop software do you use?

What tabletop software do you use?

• Roll 20

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Fantasy Grounds

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • OpenRPG

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Maptool

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Epic Table

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • D20Pro

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other (care to tell?)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Poll closed .

wolph42

First Post
Maptool by a long shot. I play warhammer 40k rpg and it's quite a complex system. Maptool allowed me to build a fully customizable framework which greatly supports the game.
If you really want to make a deep dive in the vtt world then Maptool is the only software out there that can go the distance.

Balesir

Adventurer
I admit that MT has the largest learning curve for connectivity and installation (easy now, though it can trip up a new user). But once you really start using it and playing around with its powerful macroscript language the sky is the limit. The individual player views/vision/lighting (you see what your token sees, not what everyone sees), extremely powerful tokens, and macros have pretty much sealed it as the VTT I'm likely to use for a very long time.
I tried out Maptool way back - I really should do so again. The setup I found clunky back then (and BRPG does most of the same stuff, just lacking the auto-line-of-sight function), but I daresay they have improved that by now. Does it handle cards as randomisers, yet? Or still just dice?

(a dagger should be faster that a greatsword!)
That's actually a myth, originating from old misconceptions about how a longsword (aka "hand-and-a-half" sword) or a greatsword is used, but if you like it that way, go for it.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I like the ideas behind a lot of tabletop software. Some have too high a learning curve. Others seem to crash for ridiculous reasons. Finally, I often find that people who are well versed in Excel can make a much better tabletop spreadsheet than any of the available options. So I guess until there's a program that can read my mind to do things the way I want it to, it's Excel or old fashioned pen(cil) and paper, or of course typing.

aliasmask

First Post
MapTool.

I started off slow with MapTool instead of jumping head first in to all the advanced macro features and downloads. I started with Table Top and a large screen TV to show maps and token positions. I then started exploring some user created content including frameworks. The Pathfinder/3.5 FW was well developed and the macros were pretty obvious (Attack, ChangeHP, Skills...). Really, it's the user created content that really makes MapTool the best VTT out there. That and the community is very supportive. I combine MapTool with EpicWords for campaign management and since both are full featured and free, I don't really see the need for any other VTT. Roll20 seems popular and has a prettier interface, but for me it's just too limiting.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Easily roll 20. I like map tools but my players can't be bothered to learn it (oh god how I have tried). Roll 20 is easy, integrated and does everything I need it to. I couldn't really imagine using anything else at this point.

Full Bleed

Explorer
I tried out Maptool way back - I really should do so again. The setup I found clunky back then (and BRPG does most of the same stuff, just lacking the auto-line-of-sight function), but I daresay they have improved that by now. Does it handle cards as randomisers, yet? Or still just dice?

Depends what exactly you need to do with the cards. MT has had table support forever, so you can load a deck into a table and draw a random card very easily. What you do with the card besides display it in the chat window is where you'd have to learn a little bit about the macro system. But there are several frameworks that use decks for some pretty complicated stuff... and, recently, someone put out a custom build with new some card-friendly functions. I use Paizo's Crit and Fumble Decks in my games but that's pretty simple stuff so I'm not really the one to cover current card support.

I will say that, given time, there isn't anything you couldn't do with cards using the macroscript... it's just not a native part of the program.

aliasmask said:
Really, it's the user created content that really makes MapTool the best VTT out there. That and the community is very supportive.
This is very true. Maptool is aptly named. It's a well build set of tools. You can do more with it than any other VTT out there if you're willing to learn a few things about how to use those tools and the community is very helpful to get you through the tough spots (though they do expect people to watch a few tutorials and read a FAQ or two before trying to re-invent the wheel).

Honestly, if only the very basics of VTT gaming is in someone's future I usually suggest they look at Roll20 for the ease of use and pretty interface. But if you've ever used a VTT and said, "Man I wish it would do XXX" chances are some else has said the same thing and figured out a way to do it, and hundreds of other things you haven't thought of yet, in MT.

Balesir

Adventurer
Depends what exactly you need to do with the cards. MT has had table support forever, so you can load a deck into a table and draw a random card very easily. What you do with the card besides display it in the chat window is where you'd have to learn a little bit about the macro system. But there are several frameworks that use decks for some pretty complicated stuff... and, recently, someone put out a custom build with new some card-friendly functions. I use Paizo's Crit and Fumble Decks in my games but that's pretty simple stuff so I'm not really the one to cover current card support.
Thanks for the reply - sounds like it's high time I tried it out again and got a trial session together...

wolph42

First Post
Thanks for the reply - sounds like it's high time I tried it out again and got a trial session together...

if you do, let me advise you to look for b90 in the forum. Its not officially released yet but its the version that *should* be official by now. Don't worry its very stable. The main reason I point to that version is cause its the first since quite some time that has working upnp for modems and a good launcher (old one was rendered disfunctional due to java 7).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
if you do, let me advise you to look for b90 in the forum. Its not officially released yet but its the version that *should* be official by now. Don't worry its very stable. The main reason I point to that version is cause its the first since quite some time that has working upnp for modems and a good launcher (old one was rendered disfunctional due to java 7).

b90 gives me a missing file when I try to download it from your link.

I dabbled with D20Pro as it has a Linux installer, but I found that in general the other players didn't enjoy the interface. Also, trying to connect to each others games could take most of our play time.

These days I tend to stick with roll20 as I love the integration with Google+, though I'll have to take a look at MapTool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads