• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the heck am I doing??!?!

Jesus_marley

First Post
T-12 days and I am going to be on a one way flight from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Vancouver, B.C. I have sold everything that I can't carry with me. I have resigned from both of my jobs and I don't have one where I am going.... yet. I have some offers but am unsure if I will accept.
I decided on this course of action in February, so it isn't exactly impulsive, though it is remarkably foolish and irresponsible. I am, however strangely comfortable with that...

Overall, I see this as an adventure. I have no clue what awaits me out there and I think that is why I am doing it.

Now for the interactive part of the show: Have any of you ever done anything similar to what I am about to do?

Tewligan

First Post
In April of last year, I was living in Kentucky. I took a vacation to visit some friends in Los Angeles, and after a few days decided that I liked California a helluva lot better than Kentucky. When I returned home, I saved up for a few months, quit my job, loaded my car, and drove to L.A. in August. I love it here.

IronWolf

blank
I sure have! Graduated college - worked some odd jobs while I raced mountain bikes and road bikes for about a year. Decided it was time to go and sold anything I could, moved what didn't sell to my folks basement and packed up three bags - one with clothes, one with backpacking equipment and one with rockclimbing equipment. Threw them into my Chevette with 150,000 miles on it and headed west.

Spent four months on the road - lived out of a tent the entire time. I hiked/backpacked/climbed all through out the west. Did lots of solo backpacking trips, climbed with people I only knew for a few days and made some great friends along the way.

Eventually I ran out of money and ended up in Tucson, AZ on Thanksgiving day with a tank of gas and $60! Ended up living out there for about six years before finally heading back to where I was from.

It was a great time and great experience. Everyone should do something like that.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Yes, May of 2002 I packed everything up i wanted and moved accross state to Cape Cod. Best thing I ever did. I did have a placed to live lined up before though.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I had a coworker that organized everything into three categories: sell, throw away, keep.

That even included the house!

He accepted a position at Sun in Ireland. So his wife and 17 year old son all moved out there. The son moved back to the states shortly thereafter, and eventually he and the wife came back since the job kind of went sour for him after a while.

Took a lot of balls though. I couldn't do it.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I had a "giving-away" party before I moved to Japan -- gave away everything I owned -- books, records, whatever anyone wanted, they helped themselves to.

Then I flew to Japan, got a job, and lived in Tokyo for nearly 4 years.

GREAT experience. Very happy I did it.

And welcome to Vancouver! Let us know where you end up settling.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads