• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the heck is that instrument?!?!

RichCsigs

First Post
So I was watching the Loreena McKennitt concert on public television last night. During one song (I didn't catch the name), a man in the background is playing one of the most unusual instruments I've ever seen. It was guitar/lute shaped and he was turning a crank on the side of the instrument while his other hand was where the strings were except I don't think they were strings. It looked more like he was pressing big buttons, or maybe pressing down small plates. I couldn't really tell because they never had a good shot it.

Does anyone know what this instrument is?

Torm

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
Sounds like a hurdy-gurdy, though I didn't see it, so I can't be sure.
You are correct, sir! It is a hurdy-gurdy, or as it was classically called, an organistrum.

Loreena McKennitt is very big on the use of unusual and archaic instuments. The one you are talking about can also be seen in the video for "The Mummers' Dance" and one other of her videos, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Remove ads