• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the heck!!!

Brian Compton

First Post
I can see WotC being nervous about investing in something that may or may not happen. However, of all the RPG businesses out there, they could afford the risk. Also, Chapter 11 is not typically a sign of a massive problem- I believe you have to qualify for this by making a plan to pay back creditors and get the business back in the black. If you aren't able to make this happen, then you don't get to go into Chapter 11 (which shields you from creditor lawsuits to force you to pay back your debt irregardless of ability). Having business people, I'm sure WotC knows this. That they're still worried is a bad sign.

Also, I don't think 4E work is at fault. If anything, this should have been a well-planned massive roll-out of 4E, as this is the second major con (I'm guessing Origins will have 4E available) where it can be played in full and discussed, and the first one to really have strong ties with WotC. This should have been a grand climax of 4E's release, with big previews of upcoming material and chances to ask questions directly about rules and "Why did you..." decisions. Again, that WotC is worried about using this big of a platform to promote 4E could speak volumes.

2008 could be a very sad year for gaming- it has seen the end of Gary, and it may soon see the end of Gary's convention.

mxyzplk

Explorer
Brian Compton said:
2008 could be a very sad year for gaming- it has seen the end of Gary, and it may soon see the end of Gary's convention.

I wonder if that's WotC's plan - they are really pushing "D&D Experience" and maybe they see it as a competitor that needs to go.

mxyzplk said:
I wonder if that's WotC's plan - they are really pushing "D&D Experience" and maybe they see it as a competitor that needs to go.
Hardly - D&D XP can't hold a candle to GenCon

I think you misinterpreted my meaning about 4e. Yes, this should be the Big Kahuna, roll-out, however, the RPGA events are where most of the WotC events are docked. It is no secret inside the RPGA (of which I am a member) that they have been behind the 8-ball a bit due to the change-over from 1 edition to the next. Unlike the last time, they are bringing the system out a little bit at a time on the RPGA circuit instead of waiting for the big roll out at GenCon or some other event.

The RPGA is sponsored by WotC, but make no mistake, they aren't a subsidiary and with a couple of exceptions ALL of the staff position are volunteer. Not really a whole lot of incentive to try and stay ahead of the game, when the company you 'work' for isn't all that sure what's going on. Frankly, I see this as much ado about nothing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
mxyzplk said:
Except that D+DE is in the middle of bloody winter, and held even further away than Indianapolis. And, it's RPGs only, where GenCon has card games, board games, etc., etc.

I suspect, in the end, WotC will end up going to GenCon if only because it's giving their competitors too much of an opening if they don't go.

Lanefan

marv

Explorer
Gary is rolling in his grave!

<rant>
Shame for shame on Hasbro! I can understand the business world of risk aversion, but his is no ordinary risk. This demonstrates a complete contempt for the history of DnD. Certainly, at this point GenCon needs DnD more than the other way around, but such was not always the case.

I suppose I should expect no less from a company that would remove Law and Chaos from the DnD alignment system. They can’t even through GenCon a frik’n bone for an event that can only HELP their 4th Edition sales!?!?!??!?!

Pathetic.

</rant>

Brian Compton

First Post
I don't think WotC's intent is malicious- if anything, it's not personal; it's strictly business. However, seeing as WotC business execs aren't stupid, and that GenCon would normally be a no-brainer can't-miss opportunity with 4E only two months old, the fact that they think it's risky to be involved in GenCon at this stage in the game says a lot. And let's be honest, between their vendor booth and the gaming celebs they bring in, not having WotC present would be a huge hit to GenCon, on both the financial and image fronts.

Having not seen the schedule, by saying "WotC isn't on the list," does this include any events involving MTG, any other CCG by WotC, DD Minis and other Mini lines, and any non-RPGA role-playing events directly sponsored by WotC? Yeah, that's a big chunk of stuff.

mxyzplk

Explorer
In reverse order,

1. Yeah, it's everything Wizards, and

2. "Just business" and "malicious" aren't mutually exclusive. It may be "just business" to try to drive competing businesses, open gaming, etc. out of the market but it is also malicious (specifically done to harm the other party).

Hmm, after reading this, has anyone thought, they may be trying to drive GenCon, LCC to sell the convention back to them, so they can complete a three-way deal with another company? That would alleviate the debt of GenCon, LLC, get the licensing back to Hasbro (if only for a short time) and possibly make room for a sell off at a profit...

You want to talk business, that would be a stroke of genius.

Brian Compton

First Post
But who would you get to buy Gen Con, and why wouldn't such an investor just buy it prior to WotC making a claim?

If the Chapter 11 is resolved and Gen Con is safely back in the black in time, I don't see WotC sitting out this event. It's too key a marketing tool. Also, this is a huge event for all those publishers WotC wants to sign onto the GSL. A strong Gen Con is in WotC's best interest. Remember, Adkinson bought Gen Con from WotC in part because WotC no longer wanted to be in the convention-organizing business. If they kill Gen Con intentionally, they or someone else will have to create a similar event, and if it's someone else, WotC does not necessarily get the favorable relationship that it currently has with Gen Con. Also, part of Gen Con's mystique is its tradition, something a brand new con lacks; it will take a long time to build up such a tradition, and that could hurt attendance. D&D Experience is young and doesn't sound like it's trying to be a viable competitor with Gen Con- and again, since it only covers D&D, WotC would have to make it bigger to encompass it's other brands, which puts it back at the same spot it wanted to escape in the first place.

WotC would be stupid to want to kill Gen Con. That's what makes their current decision all the more disturbing- why do they think the convention is on shaky enough ground to warrant a "wait and see" attitude when they're normally the first ones in line to get a booth and spots in the event calendar? What do they see that we don't?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads