• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What the hell is this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614&nav=EQlpWjof

A highschool kid in Kentucky was arrested and is being charged for a felony terrorist threat because he wrote a short story about zombies in a highschool...

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

What is this country coming to? I don't really want to start a political flame war, but I think it's messed up that a kid can be arrested for writing creative fiction... Wow, a real terrorist. Judging by the grammar in the article, I think the kid is probably more literate than most of the adults who are running things in his area.

BTW, if writing fiction about killing people/zombies/monsters is now a felony, how many years are you all going to be serving in federal prison... I know that I've got a few life sentences racked up by now. :(

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Captain Howdy said:
Judging by the grammar in the article, I think the kid is probably more literate than most of the adults who are running things in his area.

Aren't the grammar mistakes in the direct quotes of the author/kid?

(Hard to call an 18 year old a kid. He can vote, go to war, etc.)

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Mark said:
Aren't the grammar mistakes in the direct quotes of the author/kid?

Some of them are, but how about "faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge", or "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky".

Grammar isn't really the point though, it's the stupidity of the grandparents and the judge/prosecutors. The kid (he is in highschool, he is a kid) didn't do anything wrong... I guess it would be nice if his english teacher defended him though.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Joshua Dyal said:
What the hell is it? It's already discussed in this thread, that's what!

It'll get combined if someone goes to the trouble of sending both urls to a mod who can do it. Will it be you, Joshachu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads