• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What things do you like to know about a campaign world?

geezerjoe

First Post
Hey guys and gals,

I was trying to come up with a good list of some general (and not so general) things that everyone wants to know about their campaign world ... here are some of the things I have so far excluding size shape gravity and other things that only aliens would note ...

Entire world info
Number of Rings and Moons
Length of the year
Length of a day
min/max absolute temp
moon phases
?????

Regional Info
Daily Precipitation
Daily temps hi/low
Population centers
Population demographics
Races, trade, size, and etc
Rulers and people of note
Features of note
Terrain
Random encounter tables
Monsters of note
????

This is where I begin to feel like there are things I'm missing ...

Thanks

Joe Too Old

Kamard

First Post
I agree, I think the players only care about their regional info and its effects on da crunchies.

All the rest is fluff you can introduce in game.

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
Any significant deviation from a 'standard' earth-like fantasy world so that the players can visualise them. This would cover the suns and moons, but also other differences that a visitor from Earth would notice. For example, my own world doesn't have a day-night cycle, more of a night - long twighlight - 2-3hr 'day' - long twilight cycle.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
There is literally a ton of information you could give to players to help flush out a new fantasy world. However, I wouldn't give them the a facts and figures style list. Look at it more like a handbook of useful information that they can use to enliven the playing of their characters.

The recent setting competition by WOTC gave a few short questions which tried to parse down what made your campaign unique from others. Use this example in the messages you send to your players about the game world. Show why it's different and enjoyable to game in.

Give the players an idea of the personalities who populate the world, so they can get a better idea of the personality they will want to play.

Give them some idea of the fantastical things they can do in the world. This should give the players some motives during play; not just what goals they'll list on their PC's sheet.

Try giving a couple descriptions on interesting places. Or a list local terminology. Or an example of cultural mores in the region. What makes your world stand out?

While I'll agree that a stat block would be handy for the portions of the world you will play in, I find they often lock me into one way of thinking. Stats on government, current ruler, imports/exports all help you as DM, but have never really sold me on a game as a player. Pick up any encyclopedia, flip to a country's entry and you will have a good working template.

For players, I would try and keep information short and memorable. Describe the most important information for playing the game. Most likely these will be the ideas that have got you really hopping to play the game, anyway. Once things get rolling via character development and introduction, you can add more color to the game as you go along. While you should probably have a lot in mind ahead of time about the directions you want to go, starting slowly is important because it gives players an opportunity to help build the world with you, insuring their investment in the game. It also keeps you from creating things that will never be seen.

A good rule is not to create anything that isn't likely to come up during game. Again, anything that doesn't get played out on game day is not improving the game. IMHO, while campaign consistency and verisimilitude can allow for a certain degree of believability during play, I would rather play on the fly in a living world with it's own sense of identity. Stick with your themes and keep going back to them. If it's really working, the momentum will carry you over any consistency snags.

I know a lot of players who love rules and are playing because of the game aspect of rpgs. With the new edition you should be able to personalize the world more than ever. Prestige classes, regional feats, variant rules, etc. can all help define your world. These house rules are probably the other thing you will want to give to a new group of players early on.

[okay, rant off]

Voadam

Legend
Big ones not included,

The Gods and their effects (active Greek meddlers, big church followings, no gods just divine spellcasting traditions?)

Differences from standard magic (new systems/traditions that are native to the world).

Utrecht

First Post
Couple of others:

What is the primary economic activities of the region?

What are some of the regions/countries enemies?

Extending Voadam's comments - is there a state religion?

Uller

Adventurer
Too much information at the start of a game is bad. I make it a general rule that the intro to a new campaign world should be no more than 2 pages as an absolute maximum. Anything more is a waste of time for you and simply overloads the players ability to absorb information.

Start small. Give only information that is relevant to the opening adventure. Also, let the players come up with their own ideas for cultures, organizations of note, intersting monsters and events, etc. That is the beauty of homebrews...it can be as much the players' world as it is the DMs!

Last edited:

geezerjoe

First Post
Wow, good stuff guys, but I've misworded my question. I guess what I really want to know ... is what things does the GM want to know that s/he can pass to the players when it becomes an issue.

I want to create a list of information that I can set aside about each region and if the characters ask "Why should I ever buy a winter set of clothes" I can say something like ... "Well because in three weeks the temp usually drops to about 20" (I live in Mississippi where it can be 70 one day and 20 the next.) Or something to that extent.

I don't want to bog down the players, I understand the potential problems with that, but I do want to be able to be consistent when they ask questions in a role-playing sense. Thats why I've included the World Information too ... if a character contracts lycanthropy, when will s/he change? What is to be expected?

Thanks again.

Joe2Old

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads