• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do with a crappy PP power?

DracoSuave

First Post
The responses aren't 'You can't do anything about it.' The responses are 'You -shouldn't- do anything about it.'

The Paragon -Path- ain't broke. No need to fix it for a utility power.

Mika

First Post
If the Character Builder is any indication, I can't use a multiclass feat to swap out a paragon path power. Are there any other ways to convert a lackluster power into something else? I really don't care for my Euphonic Bow's utility power.

There are a variety of feats (familiar feats and racial heritage feats come to mind) that let you swap out any utility power, not just one from your original class. There are also some multiclass only classes (Bravo, Cutthroat, Poisoner, etc.) with their own power swap feats that also are not restricted to powers from your original class. Either of those approaches should solve your problem -- at least until the folks at Wizards get around to errataing these feats....

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is not a matter of one person being able to see something that someone else can't (because anyone who thinks they're smarter than me is probably kidding themselves)

I don't care how smart you claim to be, you have to stick by the rules if you want to post - and that means you don't get to be outright insulting. Tone it down a few notches, dude.

Felon

First Post
The responses aren't 'You can't do anything about it.' The responses are 'You -shouldn't- do anything about it.'

The Paragon -Path- ain't broke. No need to fix it for a utility power.
Except that--and please pay close attention here--that's all purely a matter of opinion, and clearly one that I don't share. Neither you nor Herschel anyone else in this is the arbiter of what justifies the desire to swap out a PP utlitiy.

Have you ever heard of the Is-Ought problem? Because I think that's basically what you're getting at. Another way of putting it is "you can't get an ought from an is", and I think that's ostensibly what some people here have been doing.

Statements like "it's actually an OK power anyway" or "the paragon path is balanced with the powers being unswappable in mind" are basically descriptions of the way the game is. What they don't do is provide any reason to conclude that it ought to be that way. They also don't really answer the question Felon asked, which is why I assume he's getting a bit frustrated by this (beg pardon if I am assuming too much).
Very well-said, actually. They're entitled to their feelings, but their behavior in this thread is not constructive, and indeed I question that constructive contribution is at all their intention.

Oddly (given these types of reactions), there are at least two things to do with your utility powers, as indicated by posts 3 and 4 in this thread, making statements like "suck it up" sound kind of presumptive. Or at least thats how it sounds to me, as it seems to imply something like "you can't do anything about it, so deal with it" when that isn't the case.

Maybe you should get the disembodied hand familar. That would ironically make what you're trying to avoid--juggling implements and weapons--a lot easier. :eek:
That sounds perfect, but I'll bet that's in a Dragon Mag article, right? I hope not, because that's off-limits.

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
If Dragon material is off limits, I think the familiar swaps from Arcane Power are your only option. The other familiar swaps, heritage feats and non-class multiclass feats are all from various Dragons.

t~

Runestar

First Post
Which wasn't what he asked anyways. He wanted to know if there was an alternative for what he felt to be a lack-luster ability, not if it was that weak.

The OP doesn't care whether he should or not. He wants to - that is a fact. The key responses that would matter here, IMO, is how he can achieve that goal.

So I don't see why that response should matter at all, given that this was never a mitigating response when it came to optimisation. :erm:

It is basically like the "It is not an issue since you can always houserule it" defense. No offense, but what is it with people sidestepping the crux of the discussion and opting to answer their own imaginary questions?

Marshall

First Post
I'm not really sure how this is an example of the implement rules not being 'fully developed'.

WotC came up with this cool new concept for 4e called "Implements" that are like weapons for non-weapon using classes...they then went back to 1e's weapon proficiency rules to grab the proficiency system for them.

Thats what I mean by not "fully developed"

Felon

First Post
If Dragon material is off limits, I think the familiar swaps from Arcane Power are your only option. The other familiar swaps, heritage feats and non-class multiclass feats are all from various Dragons.
Yes, you're likely right. The main thing I could have overlooked in print was some way a magic item could allow you to burn a daily power to get a benefit. The Cannith Goggles suggested earlier were a good idea.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I don't see cover and concealment bonuses occure very often in this campaign. You might in yours, I don't in mine. I guess I could encourage the DM to apply those penalties with more fervor so I could as much utility out of this power as you think I should, but somehow that solution seems unfulfilling. :)

Have you asked your DM if you can swap out the power, since he doesn't use cover/concealment enough for it to be worth it? It seems like this power is balanced for the mythical "average" campaign, but not for your DM's campaign, so maybe he'll be more lenient about changing it.

Mythlore

First Post
I agree...

If the question is about balance, then I guess you'll have to hash it out.

But if it's about "what else can I do?", I think the answer is also 'hash it out' -- with your DM. If the power needs a different flavor for your character, and you can work it out, great. I think there's always opportunities to break away from the rote.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads