What to do with a Death Knight

jdavis

First Post
We have had a Death Knight in our campaign who has turned into a reoccuring character (He's actual died and came back from The Nine Hells but I'll get to that in a minute).

Ars Pellios the fallen Paladin King who betrayed his god and his people to defeat his enemies. His city was destroyed and he was cursed to a undead existance. For 700 years he haunted his ruined city, reliving his sins, until out urstwile adventurers showed up. Their first encounter with him went very badly for them, and he set them a task to clear the caves under his ruins of Drow who were encroaching on his territory. They then found his ancient sword (a holy avenger with a very high ego) which forced them into a second encounter, this time with the help of the sword they defeated him, then later they found that he had been seduced by a half Erinyes witch 700 years ago, so they ended up journeying to hell to bring him back to help him gain repentance from his god (thus he is now reborn into a new non-undead body). Long long story but he was more of 700 years bitter type evil than vile type evil. He scared the heck out of the party on multiple occasions and beat the crap out of them their first encounter.

I have always been partial to the Darth Vader type of Death Knight, a betrayer who is tormented by his own deeds. All the more evil because he truly believes in what he is doing.

s/LaSH

First Post
Ooh. This is so tempting... I've got death knights in my campaign, but I can't say why because that would spoil a major suprise. They are MAJOR players, though, and were part of the setup scheme since before 3E came out and I put the campaign together. Keep reading Dungeon Damage, and you'll see what I'm on about eventually.

If you're a paranoid supergenius, you might be able to figure it (or part of it) out from clues already in the comic. What's in a name? Everything. That's why I disguised it. If you can spot this, you might be able to see where I'm going...

Sorry if that's a little cryptic, but it's all I'm giving.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Actually Darrin, that's an interesting question. Mainly because my Scarred Lands High level campaign WILL involve Death Knights, but not as the principal villian. But they will be movers and shakers. Oh and I decided to grant them a few other powers via the Faithless Knight, Unhallowed from Creature Collection 1. But rest assured, should my party make some bad choices, they will face the wrath of the Knights of the Overlord.

Valiantheart

First Post
It depends what levels you are playing your characters at of course. I have used my own DK version and i typically place them as secondary BBEG. They might hold sway over an entire nation, but ultimately i give them a superior.

Why? Because DK usually have very narrow goals unless they are expressley working for someone else.

Grishnak

First Post
Talking of Death Knights, has anyone seen Lord Soths updated stats etc? Would like to see how he's been created with classes etc. Also any stats for Drizzt? (I know wrong thread but what the hell:) )

Hackenslash

First Post
Hmmm...Death knights...!!!

Hello All,

I think the quintessential death knight is the fallen hero, who has to spend the rest of eternity in pain and suffering, because of some unforgivable betrayal or evil act, but still has his code of honor and integrity intact. Also, I think that I would use the "Death Knight" as a powerfull pawn of some even more powerfull outsider or entity. It would be cool to witness the humbleing, maybe thru clenched teeth, acts of the Death knight when he speaks to, or is in the presence of his "Master". Maybe it was the actions/abilites/spells etc... of the "Master" that turned the once noble hero into a Death Knight during a moment of extreme stress and/or weakness on the heros part. How about even letting the PC's free the Death Knight thru some extremely heroic acts to turn him into an "Emancipated Spawn" (Savage Species) type character who will eventually regain his former morals and ethics but would still forever be cursed with Undead Status. However the PC's gain a valuable ally in the future as they now have the thanks of a "Death Knight" who is no longer under the control or at the whim of the "Master". Some cool possibilites there I think. Our fellow Enworlder and my personal friend "Lord Vangarel" should have a say on this thread as his "alter Ego" is a Death Knight, from his own campaign world, www.aranor.co.uk. Over all I enjoy the concept of the Death Knight and would recommend anyone to use one in his/her campaign. Cheers all :D

Pants

First Post
Note: Fairly long...

In my current campaign, I used a Death Knight as the principle villain in one of the story arcs. The story arc started around level 1 and ended around level 8.

Karloth Avernus was a minor rule of a minor kingdom, but he had major problems, namely he was a bit too ambitious for his own good. He had one dream for his small kingdom, that his fierce determined citizens would rise above the filth and excrement of their neighbors and be able to live the easy and pleasurable life.
So he attempted to subjugate the rest of the small kingdoms that surrounded his lands, but lack funds and fierce opposition quickly emptied the coffers of his country.

Becoming desperate, he became indebted to an old Elf named Eltian, who helped to fund to his ambitions. However, Karloth lacked two things that he needed in order to fullfil his desires for power; a longer life and great, personal power. Eltian, who was a connoiseur of ancient relics, had discovered an ancient statue of a tentacled monstrosity that bore a pair of baboon heads. Knowing exactly what it was, Eltian gave it to Karloth subtely hinting that it would be a conduit to fuel his ambitions.

Karloth eventually discovered a way to utililize the statue and a demonic voice proclaimed to him that he must sacrifice something for his wishes to come true. Karloth had become greedy callous during the years and sacrificed his people to the statue.
Karloth however, was betrayed, during the night that he was to ascend to death knighthood, his people, sick of wars and endless death, opened the gates and allowed the soldiers of his enemies to come rushing in. Karloth became immortal and powerful, but he lost the kingdom he had been dreaming of.

Several years later, in order to repay the debts that he owed to Eltian, he was tasked with breaking into the vaults of the great of Karm and steal a particularly vile sword. Karloth did just that, but he took the sword for himself and fled away into the mountains, earning both Eltian and the city of Karm's wrath.

Finally, near 150 years later, the PC's are tasked with hunting down and retrieving the sword that Karloth stole. After many crazy misadventures, the PC's find Karloth hiding in an ancient Dwarven mine, ruling nothing but his own festering hate and anger. The PC's defeat him in a climactic battle and return the sword to the city and were eventually raised to the status of nobility.

Remove ads