What to Expect from PATHFINDER UNCHAINED!

Check the official thread. You have designers popping up and giving a bit more info. http://paizo.com/products/btpy97vo/discuss?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Pathfinder-Unchained-Hardcover#tabs

turkeygiant

First Post
Do we know for sure if this book is meant to be used in conjunction with the old pathfinder corebook, like an upgrade or errata, or is it going to be a book that is contains the entire game system, not just the elements that have been changed from the last pathfinder corebook?

turkeygiant

First Post
Do we know for sure if this book is meant to be used in conjunction with the old pathfinder corebook, like an upgrade or errata, or is it going to be a book that is contains the entire game system, not just the elements that have been changed from the last pathfinder corebook?

Ok I answered my own question, this book is just going to be a upgrade, it doesn't seem like it will stand on its own. I kinda agree with the thoughts that it might just be a trial balloon to test fan opinion of doing a overhaul of the entire line at some point, I could see how Paizo would be worried about stagnation in their system.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I think this book might take Pathfinder beyond the pale for me. "Lots of other systems" isn't, in my mind, what the game needs. It's complicated enough already. It was complicated enough when it was still D&D3.5. I agree with the assessment that this book is not an edition revision in and of itself, but will quickly become one if subsequent materials treat it as such.

That said, I loved the D&D3.5 UA, and I'm sure there will be some great ideas here. But it is hard not to see Unchained as yet another crunch-heavy book to memorize.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I kinda agree with the thoughts that it might just be a trial balloon to test fan opinion of doing a overhaul of the entire line at some point, I could see how Paizo would be worried about stagnation in their system.

Every rules product that every game system releases beyond the core is, in a way, a "test" to see what people want.

I expect you will see these new/altered classes in new adventure paths just as you have the new classes they've already released in previous products (Advanced Player Guide, Ultimate Races, etc.).

Barachiel

First Post
More skill points? I always felt like there was simply not enough skills in the game. When you have a group of players with 5+ skill points/level, every character ends up mostly being good equally at the same exact crap (all arcane casters have the same Arcana and Spellcraft ranks, all warriors have Acrobatics and Intimidate, all Rogues have Acrobatics, Bluff, Perception, Stealth, etc.)

There is nothing unique between the classes in terms of skill. It feels like the skill point system shouldn't even be there, just make it a Trained/Untrained like in SWS or 4E D&D.

Now this "2 tiers of skills" thing sounds promising. It says something about where to put the "extra points" so maybe they have finally made skills more diverse and more of a reason to make use of all of them.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
It's a big book of optional rules meant to be used in conjunction with the Core Rulebook. It is in no way a replacement for that book.

It does have several optional ways to treat different rules aspects, from new approaches to skills and combat feats to new takes on a handful of classes.

It's very much a "piecemeal" sort of book. I'm doing a final pass on it right now, and while the book definitely _does_ include a lot of rules crunch, it simply isn't designed to be used cover to cover. In fact, some of the suggested hacks are mutually exclusive.

There are systems in this book that make the game simpler (in some cases _much_ simpler), and there are options in the book that make the game more complex, or at least offer lots of different new options.

Basically, it's a bunch of cool ideas and an invitation to take what you want and ignore the rest. That's obviously also the case with all RPG books, but sometimes you need to be explicit about it.

Pathfinder Unchained is explicit about it.

Perram

Explorer

This is just a supplemental rule book, it does not stand on its own. Its a set of optional rules and game elements you can use with Pathfinder, but you'll still need the core Pathfinder rules to play.

Barachiel

First Post
Would it be fair to say that it sounds like an Unearthed Arcana?

Fair? It's exactly what it is. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I think all big RPG systems deserve their own "here're some new things to try out or tweak for your main game, if you like."

It's kind of like a build your own pizza. I mean everyone starts with the dough. After that you can make it into whatever shape you want, put whatever sauce and toppings you want, etc.

The thing about magic items advancing in power automatically is cool, preventing the *constant* treadmill of Magic items, but I'd still like a non-magical alternative, especially for NPCs. The treasure of even mid-level opponents is staggering.
I've muddled together an inherent bonus system for my current campaign but an official variaant would be nice.

Remove ads

Remove ads