• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to get in d20's last gasp?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
With the end of the D20 STL, a lot of 3e products are probably going to disappear after this year. So... what should I ask for for the winter holidays before they're gone? ;) Please list the best books that you wouldn't have wanted to miss. And don't worry what I might have, since maybe other people will find this useful.

I know there have been similar threads in the past, and I'll go look for them, but I also am interested in current opinions looking back. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
With the end of the D20 STL, a lot of 3e products are probably going to disappear after this year. So... what should I ask for for the winter holidays before their gone? ;) Please list the best books that you wouldn't have wanted to miss. And don't worry what I might have, since maybe other people will find this useful.

I know there have been similar threads in the past, and I'll go look for them, but I also am interested in current opinions looking back. Thanks!

Pretty much anything by Green Ronin that you don't already own. I don't think I have ever looked at a Green Ronin book that didn't have *something* I could use. And a lot of their stuff is on sale at the moment.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Most companies using the OGL stopped using the D20 logo years ago, so it's kind of a tough call. I'd probably go with Tome of Horrors 1 - 3 (or any that you don't already have), Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, any and all of the Goodman Games DCCs or the Necromancer modules (I'm particularly fond of Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia).

Don't be surprised if we start seeing most of the disappearing products released to PDF sans D20 logo.

danbuter1

First Post
Book of Fiends
Book of the Righteous
Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary
Wilderlands of High Fantasy box set
City of Brass box set
numerous Goodman Games adventures
Tome of Horrors I, II, and III
Ptolus

Probably others I am forgetting.

Psion

Adventurer
I could tell you, but then I'd have competition for what I am looking for. ;)

First, I'd consider what we know is going away, and publishers we know aren't going to be re-issuing material with nixed logos. That would include goodman games and Scarred Lands (since it is going GSL).

Most companies using the OGL stopped using the D20 logo years ago, so it's kind of a tough call. I'd probably go with Tome of Horrors 1 - 3 (or any that you don't already have), Green Ronin's Book of Fiends, any and all of the Goodman Games DCCs or the Necromancer modules (I'm particularly fond of Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia).

Mesopotamia is already pretty much a collectors item that's gone from most major distributors.

Though NG has expressed the desire to keep selling stuff as long as they cane, realities of taking the time to do rebranding could put a crimp on that.

City of Brass is still in stock in lots of places, and a GREAT high level campaign.

I'm already having a hard time finding Malhavoc stuff, particularly Arcana Evolved stuff.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There are plenty of good third party books, for use with D&D 3e. Are you interested in those that alter the core system to any significant extent - or complete variant systems, even? Or would you rather stick to pretty much 3e stuff proper?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
There are plenty of good third party books, for use with D&D 3e. Are you interested in those that alter the core system to any significant extent - or complete variant systems, even? Or would you rather stick to pretty much 3e stuff proper?
For myself, mostly proper 3.X material, but I'm open to other suggestions. And, like I said, maybe others will find this useful. So list away whatever you think shouldn't be missed.

Aus_Snow

First Post
OK, here are some I recommend investigating, to see if they might suit your 3e games:

• Legends of Sorcery (RPG Objects) - A simple, elegant replacement for pseudo-Vancian spellcasting, otherwise usable with D&D as is (spells, classes and all).
  • Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin) - A mighty fine alternative to psionics, with a totally different approach.
  • Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin) - Lots of monster templates.
  • Book of Templates, deluxe edition (Silverthorne/Goodman) - Plenty more monster templates.
  • Book of Fiends (Green Ronin) - Demons, Devils, Daemons, done right.
  • Hot Pursuit (Adamant) - A chase system for d20 games.
  • Hot Pursuit - On Foot (Adamant) - Handy, with the above item.
  • Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Age (Green Ronin) - Especially along with some of the other Mythic Vistas line, it's great stuff. Only if you like mythological/historical fantasy gaming, of course.
  • From Stone to Steel (Monkey God) - Weapons and armour from various cultures throughout the ages, statted up for D&D, plus a bit more.
  • Tome of Horrors (3.5) (Necromancer) - A ton o' monsters, many of them old classics redux.
  • Dynasties & Demagogues (Atlas) - Politics etc., in D&D.
  • Crime & Punishment (Atlas) - Justice systems and related matters, in D&D.
  • Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin) - Sample pantheon, and guidelines for such things.
  • Arcana Evolved (Malhavoc) - Nearly total rewrite of 3.5, but they can be combined quite successfully as well, in part or wholly.
  • Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc) - Many interesting and neat options for arcane types, and various other additions to the game.
  • Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc) - Add-on subsystem for combat manoeuvres and stunts, usable by all characters.
  • Torn Asunder: Critical Hits (Bastion/Dragonwing) - Another set of add-on rules, this time for critical hits, fumbles, called shots, and a few other things.
  • Anger of Angels (Malhavoc) - An excellent treatment of Angels and associated beings. Better as a replacement for standard D&D angels, not an addition to them, IMNSHO.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads