• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to kill for an extra invocation?

Joker

First Post
Assuming you would allow it, what would you charge for an item or a ritual which grants a warlock an extra invocation known?

Just spitballin' here but I thought for items I would base it off of the pearls of power and times the cost by 1.5. The spell level for the item to based off of would use the highest level in the invocation grade. Let me explain with numbers.

Least (2nd level) would cost 6000gp
Lesser (4th level) would cost 24000gp
Greater (6th level) would cost 54000gp
Dark (9th level) would cost 121500gp

These items would allow a warlock to learn a new invocation. They would also have the caveat that you can only have one such item in your possesion at a time. Or maybe one of each grade.

As for the ritual, I don't know. I don't think it should be as simple as a gold and XP investment but should rather require rare components for which you have to quest/adventure.

If anyone has some concrete ideas or advice, drop a post.

Crothian

First Post
I would price out each invocation seperately. So, instead of finding or making an item that could grant any lesser Invocation, one would fine one that gave Charm or The Dead Walk. The pricing that you have though I like.

I have no ideas on the ritual.

starwed

First Post
Well, surely they should be priced as an item which simply granted that ability, with a reduction for being restricted to a particular class.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
starwed said:
Well, surely they should be priced as an item which simply granted that ability, with a reduction for being restricted to a particular class.

QFT. At-will abilities should cost like at-will abilities.

C, -- N

The Extra Invocation feat can grant up to Greater invocations, and I believe a feat-mimicking item costs 10,000 gp, increased for appropriate prerequisites (ie level). An item granting Dark invocations would then get the x10 epic modifier.

Joker

First Post
starwed said:

The thing is, if I'm understanding it right, is that invocations are very different than use-at-will items, what with caster level and DC's and such. So I thought it would be better if I would just create an item which granted extra invocations to avoid all the fuss.

Servitor of Wrath said:
The Extra Invocation feat can grant up to Greater invocations, and I believe a feat-mimicking item costs 10,000 gp, increased for appropriate prerequisites (ie level). An item granting Dark invocations would then get the x10 epic modifier.

Truth be known, I never liked that ruling regarded item costs for feats, given the different power levels of feats but I think I see what you're getting at. What if the items have a base-cost of 10000gp with the cost of the different invocations (like what Croatian mentioned) added to it?

About the rituals, does anyone know if there are any source-books which I can use for info?

evilbob

Explorer
One of the newest books - I think it's Complete Mage - gives a price list for items (rods, I think) that grant extra invocations while being held.

Off the top of my head I remember that the "least" invocations cost 4000g, and they went up from there. So I'm guessing you were headed in the right direction with pricing, but overshot just a bit. :)

Stalker0

Legend
I think you do have to work it out per invocation.

For example, one invocation gives you +6 to bluff, diplomacy, and one other (forgot). So by skill boost costs, that would be 6*6*100 = 10,800. If its a slotless item, that's 21,600...and even more if you rope all of the costs into one item.

6000 is dirt cheap to me.

Stalker0

Legend
evilbob said:
One of the newest books - I think it's Complete Mage - gives a price list for items (rods, I think) that grant extra invocations while being held.

Off the top of my head I remember that the "least" invocations cost 4000g, and they went up from there. So I'm guessing you were headed in the right direction with pricing, but overshot just a bit. :)

That one is 5 times per day, and ONLY an invocation that applies to your eldritch blast.

FireLance

Legend
Stalker0 said:
I think you do have to work it out per invocation.

For example, one invocation gives you +6 to bluff, diplomacy, and one other (forgot). So by skill boost costs, that would be 6*6*100 = 10,800. If its a slotless item, that's 21,600...and even more if you rope all of the costs into one item.

6000 is dirt cheap to me.
I suppose the key mitigating factor is that it can't be used by anyone except a warlock, or someone emulating a warlock's ability to use invocations with UMD.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads