What treasure do you wish was in upcoming adventures?

NeverLucky

First Post
I'm not seeing magic items or other special rewards as being a corrupting or disruptive issue in the slightest in my area. The main thing most people want is a magic weapon by Tier II so they aren't SOL against creatures resistant/immune to normal damage. Fantastic items and treasure is one facet of being an adventurer. Sure, they're rare, but when your vocation is risking life and limb in dangerous places, risk should have reward - if you want it.
In my experience, weapon-based classes without magic weapons in tier 2+ (and even some tier 1 adventures) are pretty heavily gimped. It's hard for a damage dealer to do their job when all of their attacks do half (or no) damage. I really hope future adventures have more magic weapons to provide for those characters, especially for those who can't go to a convention and access Fai Chen.

CapnZapp

Legend
In my experience, weapon-based classes without magic weapons in tier 2+ (and even some tier 1 adventures) are pretty heavily gimped. It's hard for a damage dealer to do their job when all of their attacks do half (or no) damage. I really hope future adventures have more magic weapons to provide for those characters, especially for those who can't go to a convention and access Fai Chen.
In those cases you would imagine the party putting a higher priority on consumables and spells that fix the problem.

Unless, of course, you play in the equivalent of a pick-up group, where the spellcasters are perfectly content "their" men-at-arms can't steal their thunder.

Since most fights are sufficiently easy, the full damage output of the fighters aren't needed, only their damage-absorbing quality of being there.

As an added bonus (for this hypothetical spellcaster), his or her disproportionate activity justifies taking long rests as often as necessary.

Or so my theory goes...

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer

I have a similar opinion, but to me the answer is either the +0 "magical weapon," or taking a level of sorc or wizard (or the magic initiate feat) so they have melee cantrips like green flame and they can at least land a blow and actually deal the damage they roll. Since the first isn't really a thing, as much as I'd like it to be, the second is what you're left with whether or not it fits.

RulesJD

First Post
I have a similar opinion, but to me the answer is either the +0 "magical weapon," or taking a level of sorc or wizard (or the magic initiate feat) so they have melee cantrips like green flame and they can at least land a blow and actually deal the damage they roll. Since the first isn't really a thing, as much as I'd like it to be, the second is what you're left with whether or not it fits.

Just FYI, GFB/BB don't make your entire attack magical. Only the extra rider damage (Fire/Thunder) is magical for the purposes of bypassing non-magical BPS resistance.

NeverLucky

First Post
In those cases you would imagine the party putting a higher priority on consumables and spells that fix the problem.

Unless, of course, you play in the equivalent of a pick-up group, where the spellcasters are perfectly content "their" men-at-arms can't steal their thunder.

Since most fights are sufficiently easy, the full damage output of the fighters aren't needed, only their damage-absorbing quality of being there.

As an added bonus (for this hypothetical spellcaster), his or her disproportionate activity justifies taking long rests as often as necessary.

Or so my theory goes...
AL is organized play. Pick-up games are a very large portion of overall games played. You can't expect much party coordination from a group of strangers that just sat down at a convention or store. Plus, only the Magic Weapon spell helps in this regard; you can't buy Oil of Sharpness in AL, and throwing Alchemist's Fire isn't exactly worth a tier 2 character's time.

Given that the latter solution doesn't work with Extra Attack (which most weapon users rely on to deal significant damage), doesn't work with ranged weapons, and relies on questionable rules interpretation (not all DMs will allow it), that doesn't seem like a great solution.

I would think that a fighter, rogue, barbarian, et al would want an equal crack at a CR-appropriate foe as those wielding spells. There are places for ultra-low magic-item games. But AL is not one of them.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
AL is organized play. Pick-up games are a very large portion of overall games played. You can't expect much party coordination from a group of strangers that just sat down at a convention or store. Plus, only the Magic Weapon spell helps in this regard; you can't buy Oil of Sharpness in AL, and throwing Alchemist's Fire isn't exactly worth a tier 2 character's time.

Given that the latter solution doesn't work with Extra Attack (which most weapon users rely on to deal significant damage), doesn't work with ranged weapons, and relies on questionable rules interpretation (not all DMs will allow it), that doesn't seem like a great solution.

I don't think it's a great solution either. in the absence of magical weapons (I consider a silvered handaxe a +0 magic weapon because it overcomes mundane weapon resistances, at least some of the time) it's just a frustrating situation. I did boltsmelter's book once and had to solo a gargoyle for the whole final battle, which was slow going without either an adamantine weapon (which IMO really ought to be functionally parallel to silver and another type of +0 magic item) or a magic weapon. I did not get a sense of satisfaction from having overcome the obstacle at long last or anything like that, it was just tedious and annoying.

NeverLucky

First Post
I don't think it's a great solution either. in the absence of magical weapons (I consider a silvered handaxe a +0 magic weapon because it overcomes mundane weapon resistances, at least some of the time) it's just a frustrating situation. I did boltsmelter's book once and had to solo a gargoyle for the whole final battle, which was slow going without either an adamantine weapon (which IMO really ought to be functionally parallel to silver and another type of +0 magic item) or a magic weapon. I did not get a sense of satisfaction from having overcome the obstacle at long last or anything like that, it was just tedious and annoying.
It would actually be awesome if we can buy adamantine weapons for, say, 500 extra gold, and treat them as +0 weapons. That would solve the resistance problem at higher levels and give another use for gold.

TwinPeaksGuy

Explorer
It would actually be awesome if we can buy adamantine weapons for, say, 500 extra gold, and treat them as +0 weapons. That would solve the resistance problem at higher levels and give another use for gold.

I agree, but barring content in another update like the SCAG I strongly doubt we'll see AL legal Adamantine or Mithral available for purchase. That would have been the place to put it. Of course non-AL DMs can simply houserule it, but. . .

Remove ads