• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What TV series related to the "Matter of Middle-earth" would you prefer to see?

Mercurius

Legend
What about a series based on whatever the Rangers of the North were doing all that time, in the Third Age, while no one was looking?
That could be fit in with my Angmar idea, though I think the rangers didn't really emerge until after that (when the last king died). But I've always been intrigued about that period of a thousandish years before LotR - which is when the rangers would have been rangering.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
It's precisely because so much of this is original that it can be spread out more easily: to follow those more detailed stories makes that more difficult. Rings of Power only needs to keep a few bullet points in place, whereas Beren and Luthien has a complex story to tell, bit big enough that a movie might be too small, but specific enough thst five seasons would be too much.

See also, The Hobbit. A story that has been adapted comfortably in 90 minutes stretched to nearly ten hours.

Put another way, Rings of Power is working largely because it is essentially an original story that goes into what happens off-screen in Tolkien, an adaptation of a detailed short story stretched out causes problems.
We agree that Jackson's Hobbit suffers from too much of the wrong sort of embellishment, but I think, in an episodic format, The Hobbit could be much longer, with a slower pace, and capture the feeling of the original book much better. Same with the LotR.

RoP has a similar issue, IMO. It's a retelling of a story which takes place over thousands of years in the appendices and for which Tolkien wrote enough detail to outline the major plot points. The writers of the show have gutted much of that framework and filled it in with details that aren’t needed for the original story: things like the whole Southlands subplot, the Stranger/Nori subplot, the idea that anyone was ever "hunting" for Sauron, and the idea that mithril would have anything to do with slowing the fading of the elves. Jackson’s LotR has some insertions of this type, mostly pulled from the appendices, but is more noted for what was cut rather than what was added.

Of course the story of Beren and Luthien is written out in greater detail than the material in the appendices from which the show draws, but that just means there would be less detail to add. I don’t think having that level of detail would prevent the introduction of subplots or other embellishments to expand the existing story. Drawing some of those details from other parts of the Silmarillion would, of course, add grist to the mill.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
We agree that Jackson's Hobbit suffers from too much of the wrong sort of embellishment, but I think, in an episodic format, The Hobbit could be much longer, with a slower pace, and capture the feeling of the original book much better. Same with the LotR.

RoP has a similar issue, IMO. It's a retelling of a story which takes place over thousands of years in the appendices and for which Tolkien wrote enough detail to outline the major plot points. The writers of the show have gutted much of that framework and filled it in with details that aren’t needed for the original story: things like the whole Southlands subplot, the Stranger/Nori subplot, the idea that anyone was ever "hunting" for Sauron, and the idea that mithril would have anything to do with slowing the fading of the elves. Jackson’s LotR has some insertions of this type, mostly pulled from the appendices, but is more noted for what was cut rather than what was added.

Of course the story of Beren and Luthien is written out in greater detail than the material in the appendices from which the show draws, but that just means there would be less detail to add. I don’t think having that level of detail would prevent the introduction of subplots or other embellishments to expand the existing story. Drawing some of those details from other parts of the Silmarillion would, of course, add grist to the mill.
Theybare telling their own story, yes, but thematically it is Tolkienian and every element, thus far, is on point for the integrity of the show as an artistic unit.

I could see maybe one Season for the Hobbit, but that is still a stretch. One benefit of a drawn out version of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, they could actually include all the songs. One of the most important elements of the books.

The Young Aragorn Adventures?
Per a recent story in Vanity Fair, this was in fact one of the multiple series that Netflix pitched when they, Amazon, and HBO were all competing for the rights. And the estate hated Netflix's ideas so much that they left tens of millions of dollars on the table to strike a deal instead with Amazon, which had been significantly outbid by Netflix.

(It's not definitively clear that the estate hated the "young Aragorn" idea as such—Netflix may have bungled the pitch rather than the concept—but the article does imply that this is the case.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Per a recent story in Vanity Fair, this was in fact one of the multiple series that Netflix pitched when they, Amazon, and HBO were all competing for the rights. And the estate hated Netflix's ideas so much that they left tens of millions of dollars on the table to strike a deal instead with Amazon, which had been significantly outbid by Netflix.

(It's not definitively clear that the estate hated the "young Aragorn" idea as such—Netflix may have bungled the pitch rather than the concept—but the article does imply that this is the case.)
There may have been other factors than money and the creative element that would give Amazon a keg up from the Estate perspective: Amazon is the world's largest bookseller, and the Tolkien Estate's business is selling books. I can imagine Amazon had a cross promotional campaign on offer that probably means more money in the long run for the Estate.

Remove ads