• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What (type of) Book Would You Spend $100 On?

A Generic setting/campaign box set which takes the characters from Levels 1-20 includes the following:

1. Easily adaptable to any campaign world (similar to WH "Enemy Within")
2.Detailed NPC booklet, including adventure related organizations and PrCs.
3. Handouts and maps, including large "combat" maps for specific areas.
4. Optional minis? or cardstock cut outs for Monsters and NPC's

J-Buzz

First Post
Book of Encounters:

Broken out by generic areas (Wilderness, city, dungeon, castle)
Grouped by CR within the areas.

Kept somewhat generic. IE: Your party sees a campfire burning off in the distance. Then description of what the party sees if they approach, any DC's for spot checks etc and treasure, maybe list some possiable plot hooks. Tatics for the monsters so I will not forget any juicy special abilities. IE: The balor will summon another demon on the first round....etc

Have an Appendix of NPC's of various levels.

I would love somthing like this so when players do somthing unexpected that I am not prepared for, I could just wing it easier, and pull out the book open to wilderness setting, and turn to the pages with the proper CR. Usally when I am bored I write up generic encounters so I have them in the future. Problem is when I DM (not very often) the characters are at a level that I do not have encounters for.

MonsterMash

First Post
Personally no one book at that kind of price point. A boxed set possibly, but it does look like the Wilderlands of High Fantasy set is going to cost less ($70 predicted).

Aristotle

First Post
Lots of interesting responses. Mine would be...

A complete setting. Every rule, feat, spell, or whatever that pertains to the setting is included. A detailed history is included. All sorts of plot elements that you could use for campaigns are included. It could be a new setting, a setting made famous in fiction, or an old setting (my vote would be for Planescape).

It would be the ultimate "stand alone" campaign book with little need for additional sourcebooks to be published (in fact, the urge to do so should be suppressed to as few books as possible). It would then be supported by one or two adventure paths of well-written game modules.

CZHorse

First Post
Frukathka said:
A book of chock full of Dungeon magazine adventures from 1st & 2nd Edition updated to 3rd.

I think that I'll have to agree with Frukathka on this one, as I have every Dungeon from issue 1, and have read each and everyone - great magazine. However, all 80 or so pre-3.0 need to be reprinted for play with post-3.0 rules. That would rank high on my list.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
2- A compilation of all WotC PrCs and feats and skills & spells;

That's definitely worth $100. Well, for the amount of content from the variety of books, yes, the specific quality, you'll have to judge for yourself.

Kaji

First Post
Shade said:
I'd consider shelling out $100 for any of the following:

• A book similar to Ed Greenwood's Nine Hells articles in Dragon, that goes into incredible depth on any (or all) of the lower planes.
  • A complete 3.5 update of an entire defunct campaign setting, such as Dark Sun or Spelljammer.
  • A book with all the monsters that have ever appeared in Dungeon and Dragon magazines, all updated to 3.5 with artwook by Wayne Reynolds.
  • An updated Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting detailing every region in the level of detail given in the regional sourcebooks.

Even for one of those, I'm still unsure if I'd fork over $100. That is just far beyond the normal thresholds I'm comfortable with.

I'm pretty close to this response. It's just a ton to fork out for one item, set ot not. It would need heavily integrated features, electronic support, maybe some electronic tools (spreadsheets, custom programs) to support the material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads