D&D 5E what version of the Ranger do you use?

GlassJaw

Hero
Yep. For a while I was using the 'Consensus Ranger', which was a Ranger fix that I think basically the entire Unearthed Arcana subreddit got together and tried to create that used almost everything that people thought the ranger "should" have.

However, I just prefer regularabsentees' job on revising the WotC UA version. It's clean and it includes things that I like for the ranger to have.

Cool! I haven't seen this. First glance: it's pretty freaking good.

5ekyu

Hero
I modified the explorer feat to kick in for "local terrain" after 24 hours in an area - getting the lay of the land - plus your chosen terrain. So you will have the current terrain pretty favored after just a bit of time.

Beastmaster - when not ordered, it's an NPC ally and will act as GM determines. The "order" cost gives the player hard control of the NPC.

Other than that - as is regular ranger PHB XCtE.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
We use the Revised Ranger, but I tweaked and modified it quite a bit to be less crazy. I still need to make some changes to it, because the beastmaster companion has survivability issues; my player who loves Rangers and pet classes ended up retiring the character entirely after a while, because the pet just isn't able to survive long.

CydKnight

Explorer
I've had a Ranger in the last 3 campaigns I've run and not one of them had buyer's remorse using the PHB base class version. One was a Hunter while the other two were both Gloomstalkers.

MiraMels

Explorer
I'm running a 1st to 20th game with the Player's Handbook ranger - no hacks, no house rules, and no subclasses or spells from other books. The party is at level 8 at the moment, one of my players is playing a Beast Master, and neither of us have run into any issues yet. She's having a blast, and i'm not having any extra trouble running things on my end.

One simple, but important thing, is that I was very clear about which environments would show up in the campaign and when, so that she would be able to make an informed decision when it comes to choices of terrain for her Natural Explorer feature. It's a ship-based campaign, and I decided that the open ocean wouldn't count as a terrain type, so there's no way it can be active all the time. The most common terrain would be Coast, but she opted to start with the Forest environment, so she gets to use it most of the time the party is heading in-land, but not all the time. It still feels impactful, despite her not having the most common terrain type yet.

Unless we run into some serious issues in the next 12 levels, i don't foresee myself ever opting to use an alternate ranger setup as a player or as a DM in future games. Most of the revisions (including the official WotC one!) remove the double proficiency bonus aspect of Natural Explorer, and that's a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
Had two of my players play PHB rangers in the last campaign and now two different people playing the Revised. Some noticeable differences but I would edge my players towards rolling a Revised instead...

Remove ads