• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was CAR WARS?

Kilmore said:
It was great. :D it isn't a RPG as much as it's a tabletop game, though there are roleplaying aspects to it, and SJG has a roleplaying suppliment "Autoduel" for GURPS that deals with a Car Wars RPG campaign.

My van driver was T&A Plenty. Says most of it. To top it off we used GURPS for background. I was rolling hot that day. I had several 100's and 97+s. In the end she was filthy. filthy rich spoiled army brat sleaze with her finger on the button of several key political figures. Lota fun!

Bagpuss

Legend
They had an excellent Car Wars arena at GenCon UK once, with a pit in the middle a raised roadway round the side and a four way cross over jump in the middle over the pit.

I managed to T-bone another car while jumping the pit, there was much satisfaction and rejoicing as both cars fell into the pit.

Chingerspy

First Post
Great game!! we used to play it occasionally on silly games night. Alas I moved away from the area and don't meet up with these guys anymore :)

Lots of good ol games like that still bring big smiles to faces :) calssic. Its a card game now aint it?

Tone

Corinth

First Post
Car Wars still exists, and in multiple formats. The tabletop RPG spinoff is called Autoduel, and it's a GURPS product. (So it's properly GURPS Autoduel.) You don't need GURPS Vehicles to make full use of it, and I am not so certain that it would help to do so. These days, I'd just use d20 Modern.

mistergone

First Post
God Allmighty I loved Car Wars in every brief interlude I had with it. Oh sweet Car Wars... so fun. My favorite pedestrian memory (I SUCKED at the game, really, I mean, I found myself as a pedestrian many mnay times with my car shot up and immobile.) was in a particularly heated duel, my car shot to all Hades I was running like a madman for the exit gates, when the last car running finished off its final victim and made a run full speed at me.. and missed his control roll and crashed into a wall! I sprinted to safety through the gates. A pyhrric <sp> victory.

Roderick

First Post
Bagpuss said:
They had an excellent Car Wars arena at GenCon UK once, with a pit in the middle a raised roadway round the side and a four way cross over jump in the middle over the pit.

Yeah, I remember that one it was back in 92 or 93. My english wasn't that good back then, so I rather participated in boardgame events. After ten minutes I somehow lost control of my car, and hit the outer wall at full speed. A short, but funny game.

Darius101

First Post
Hehehehe Man I love this game.
Car wars is a cross between Madmax and Death Race 2000.

We used to love to run the scenarios in Studyhall in High school and the most run scenaios were two cars on an open road going at each other with guns blazing. Of course there were many pedestrians watching the duel.
And the scenario where you drive through a mall chasing down each other and tring to get as many pedestrians as possible.
Ahhhh the memories, I gotta go dig for the little box sets now.
Darius

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads