• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What was Paizo thinking? 3.75 the 4E clone?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I've now read through a lot of the Pathfinder playtest threads here and elsewhere. After reading the discussions debating not only what is or is not broken, but what the fix should be, I'm increasingly convinced that 3.x is beyond redemption.

Now, am I wrong in thinking that you had fun with 3e before 4e was announced?

If so, don't you find it odd that you think 3e "is beyond redemption" now?

This is exactly what I mean about the shine wearing off. And, while a new game (Pathfinder, 4e, whatever you haven't played yet) seems shiny now, how long do you expect it to last before you are increasingly convinced that it is beyond redemption?

That's the big problem with this sort of "Edition Vs. Edition" comparison. Every edition has strengths and weaknesses, and, depending what you focus on, can seem as amazing as a gourmet dinner....or as unsatisfying as Spam on toast. I expect that Pathfinder and 4e will be no different. Best to examine which game best matches your basic assumptions -- whether that be a new game, or even an out-of-print game like OD&D.

(Cue Diaglo.)

RC

Fobok

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
If all of the unique 4e monsters, dragonborn and tiefling as core races, warlock etc as core classes, and so on, do not make 4e feel "not like D&D", then I seriously doubt that neglecting a few names will make Pathfinder feel "not like D&D". After all, there are OGC snake people in the Tome of Horrors II & III, one can easily include OGC "itthidil" and "eye spheres" that DMs and players can easily translate if they want. I suspect that Pathfinder will do just fine.

RC

Of course, you have to remember that a large portion of Paizo's initial audience are the ones who are saying 4e doesn't feel like D&D.

Raven Crowking said:

Nobody had ever fun with 3e. That was an absolute imagination that fooled us all.
But luckily, some of us picked the blue pill and know it better now. ;)

This is exactly what I mean about the shine wearing off. And, while a new game (Pathfinder, 4e, whatever you haven't played yet) seems shiny now, how long do you expect it to last before you are increasingly convinced that it is beyond redemption?
My initial bet is something around 8 years. Or whenever 5E is announced and the designers give us hints and insights about flaws in 4E and how 5E will make these all go away.

That's the big problem with this sort of "Edition Vs. Edition" comparison. Every edition has strengths and weaknesses, and, depending what you focus on, can seem as amazing as a gourmet dinner....or as unsatisfying as Spam on toast. I expect that Pathfinder and 4e will be no different. Best to examine which game best matches your basic assumptions -- whether that be a new game, or even an out-of-print game like OD&D.
Okay, this assumption might be made out if ignorance, since I never actually played AD&D or OD&D, but I believe that D&D is improving or "evolving" over time. Subsystems for missing aspects get added, or existing subysstems they get cleaned up, streamlined, better integrated and overhauled.

Still, contrary to what people sometimes seem to believe, evolution isn't a straight path that leads us to perfection. Sometimes, a change that improves one aspect leads to a weakening of another aspect. And in some ecological niches, this simply doesn't work. Some animals began crawling to the land and adapted to it. They work great on land, but few of them can survive for long in the water. Maybe in terms of games, this means that they might gather a new audience of players, but leave an old audience behind. So to speak, OD&D is a fish, and Diaglo is the sea. ;)

But still, there are some noteable advancements. But advancements are never free. For a larger brain to support complex social structures and development of mechanical tools, human bodies became more and more focussed on supporting the large brain, and other aspects were neglected. (On the risk of this being read as me claiming 4E is "dumbed down") Maybe 3.x is a case where the brain became so big that the body sometimes couldn't support it, and a "fix" of the evolution is to simply a little stuff.

The priorities (or likes/dislikes) of each individual gamer describe an "environment" where the game system can "try" to thrive. Some game systems are highly specialized, so they fit the needs of a very few gamers perfectly and don't really appeal to others, but in evolution, this is just as valid as trying to be "adaptable" to fit most environments. But environments aren't always stable. (You don't always need a Meteor Strike for that, and I guess there has never been a Meteor Strike equivalent for game systems and gamer priorities.) You might always find something specialized that fits the criteria of a given group of gamers better then another one. But still, the one that comes close enough for enough has still a good chance to populate.

Or, simply put: What you said.
Editions change, and everyone has his favorite edition, since the edition fits best to his priorities. Some editions might hit larger gamer priorities then others. And yet, they aren't absolutely better. Overall, for the time being, they are fitter. But don't count on them being in this place forever...

In a way, D&D seems to always have been the game that fits the largest audience.
[/Rambling]

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:

I can certainly have fun playing 3e. But it depends heavily on the DM, and what house rules they have if any. I would never play 3e RAW, and haven't since it came out. And I have no interest in DMing it anymore. The problem is my design philosophy is going to radically differ from other people. When I say irredeemably broken, I mean that I don't think a minor rules fix here and there will be enough to fix some of the fundamental issues I have. Level drain, save or lose, wonkiness with high level play, christmas tree effect, out of control buffs and stat boosts and damage.

I have been suffering from 3.x fatigue for some time now. Bo9S helped alleviate some of that. And Paizo Adventure Paths made DMing a high level game tolerable for a while since they basically did most of the heavy lifting.

I think at this point the game needs a massive redesign. In other words, 4e.

I will concede that 4e may also disappoint me since I haven't seen it yet. But so far, I really like what I hear. I guess I'll also say that the finished Pathfinder game could surprise me and totally blow me away. I just don't think they'll be able to change enough to satisfy me and still be backwards compatible. Not to mention keeping all their other fans happy.

Indeed, I'll agree with you here. :)

Cryndo

Explorer
Brennin Magalus said:
I can count the number of people Paizo has lost that I have observed on one hand. (Although, if I put some effort into it, perhaps two!)

How many will Paizo gain though? They will keep a bunch of old customers, but do you really see them growing their customer base significantly? I'd be shocked.

You can add me to your one handed counting cause unfortunately I won't be playing Pathfinder. Now, when they move to 4E, I'll be the first one back in line.

Aaron L

Hero
I read the PDF, and I think it looks cool. Judging from the talk of my gaming group, it will be switching to 4E, but I, at least, will be buying Pathfinder because I think it looks interesting.

And a lot of the stuff I've seen about 4E... just rubs me the wrong way.

Keoki

First Post
Raven Crowking said:
Some parts of 3.5 are not in the SRD, and thus cannot be easily referenced without the 3.5 books. As 3.5 goes out of print (if it hasn't already), this information will be harder for new players to come by. Specifically, this refers to XP & level progression, as well as some flavor text that is necessary for a new player to "get" the game.

I've only skimmed the Alpha document, but I seem to recall Paizo including their own XP chart. And flavor text can always be changed. So I don't see any reason Pathfinder couldn't continue beyond the print life of the 3.5 core books. As another poster here has already mentioned, however, while some 3.5 fans may switch over to Pathfinder, I don't see Paizo gaining many new players. While they may get some through word of mouth or Pathfinder players inviting them into their gaming groups, the average joe in a bookstore is going to go for the D&D books that have much more name recognition. So I think Pathfinder's initial core of constituents can't help but dwindle and the game will eventually die. In the meantime, though, it looks like a lot of fun.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Cryndo said:
How many will Paizo gain though? They will keep a bunch of old customers, but do you really see them growing their customer base significantly? I'd be shocked.

Why does Paizo have to increase its customer base significantly?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads