• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What was Paizo thinking? 3.75 the 4E clone?

Shadewyn

First Post
dmccoy1693 said:
I don't know about "story", but the can and do fundementally alter characters in that story. I just finished up a campaign where I played a halfling necromancer that hated undead. What did he do? DROP ABILITY SCORES LIKE NO ONE ELSE!!! He was great. Its really hard for a caster to cast spells when his INT suddenly droppes to 8. No matter who you were, you were in trouble if you failed your saves against my Spirit Worm attacks. Clerics weren't even able to crawl away after an empowered split ray of enfeeblement.

Guess what, his entire character concept doesn't exist in 4E since there is no such thing as ability damage.

Well Players can always swing a module WAY out of balance.

Tell a player that they are getting to play Shackled City and suddenly a Psion / Rogue is born with the mind ripping info skills and social skills so far in the stratosphere that either you abandon the who game arc or everyone in town just took 10 level in expert to get the scores needed to survive and "protect" the plot. Oh ... 90% of the game is misdirection? Well we jump off the plot rails, mind rip the target and based on that info kill X, Y, and Z. Now what Mr. GM?

Shadewyn

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
If you're running an old setting, chances are you're not using dragonborn or tieflings. I know some people are. They're not core. They've never been core. Them being core CHANGES fundamental assumptions about the setting.

Isnt that solved by going to the lowest common denominator between systems you support?

If you write a story about a dragon ... check to see if all editions/versions have a dragon. If they dont then refer to it as a giant lizard and in some its a dragon and others maybe a dinosuar.

I agree if you are writing about the 3rd tiefling revolt against halfling riverboat piracy in the southern dragonborn kingdom you are in for some issues.

But frankly I rarely find modules that specific.

I could drop the Age of Wyrms or Shackeled City ... maybe even Savage Tide into just about any edition of D&D. If I wanted to restat the monsters.

But i am lazy ... and buying the Paizo products in the first place becuase I realize that I am lazy. Sure if I had 100 hours to kick about I could world build and stat things up ... but its a better use of my time to just gearhead tweak a Paizo product.

elnopintan

First Post
Shadewyn said:
But i am lazy ... and buying the Paizo products in the first place becuase I realize that I am lazy. Sure if I had 100 hours to kick about I could world build and stat things up ... but its a better use of my time to just gearhead tweak a Paizo product.

Here you can see what is the opinion of Paizo about making hibrid products. If they have to put the stats for NPCs and Monsters for various systems, they'll have less resources and less space in the book to put really useful information.
If I find the link

abeattie

First Post
Shadewyn said:

am I the only Lazy GM out there that just grabs stats that work from one monster, change the description, and roll that out as the odd/unheard of foe? takes almost literally no time.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Rauol_Duke said:
I'm still confident that Paizo knows their business better than you, or any of the various busieness professional on this board, since they have grown their business in the past five years .

Yes. And I'll add that they grow their sales ... while EVERYBODY ELSE, including the almighty WOTC is complaining about declining sales and doomandgloom.

Maybe they know better than the "professionals" ?

Orcus

First Post
Shadewyn said:
Room: A 10x10 room stands befor you with an angry orc and a tasty looking stolen pie lies behind him

Remember, in 4E that will have to be a 60 x 60 foot room. Someone will undoutedly have teleport and the ability to shift the orc or the pie. We have to give the PCs enough room to move around have have fun with their minis! Hey, dont we need a mini for the pie?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Orcus said:
Remember, in 4E that will have to be a 60 x 60 foot room. Someone will undoutedly have teleport and the ability to shift the orc or the pie. We have to give the PCs enough room to move around have have fun with their minis! Hey, dont we need a mini for the pie?

That's got to be the most critical thing I've seen Clark post about 4e yet.

Snark becomes you, oh great demon lord.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Orcus said:

Who are you and what have you done with Clark Peterson?

Dark Mistress

First Post
Orcus said:

Very cute and very surprised to see you feeding us anti-4e people pie.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads