• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the best moment of Gen Con for you?

Iceman

First Post
Piratecat said:
Whenever people bitch about RPGA judges, I offer up Vic as the opposite example. :)
Head... Swelling... 8)
Though, in all honesty, I usually make such references to you and Tom.

I also remembered two other highlights for me...
Chit-chating with Matt Shimkus of Gamers fame.
We've both done some stage combat and after a few minutes found ourselves mocking some tv shows (*cough*Highlander*cough*) for how much they relied on the basic six sword positions in their fights.
Really a bunch of friendly, cool guys.

And running into a couple people I have not seen in several to many years.
Just walking down one of the convention center halls. Both times.
Kismet. :)

-VIC

Visskar

First Post
My best moment at Gencon would have to be split between the Living Arcanis Battle Interactive and the LA special Ss'ressen mission. When I convinced my wife to let me attend this year, the LA BI was my high priority. A high risk opportunity to contribute to the future history of the world, who could ask for more. Then to find out just a week or two after I pre-regged that there would be a one-time special mission for my chosen race. A chance to play with a group comprised completely of fellow clutchmates. I had a new high priority. And neither disappointed. During the special Ss'ressen mission, I found myself along with 29 brothers and sisters getting the opportunity to save our race. Then to face off against a living legend, and later find myself near death getting chewed on by a T-Rex. A complete blast. And then came the Battle Interactive. Six encounters fighting for my life, with the best module story told in between each. As the story progressed to near-bitter end, and hearing the room erupt in applause and cheering at each thrilling moment, made the weekend my definite best gaming experience yet.

GTseng3

First Post
Lets see. Probably the emotional rush that is 130+ people all in a room together for the Living Arcanis Battle Interactive. The shout that went up from everyone as the good General Menesis val'Tensen began pushing his troops through the line of demons, to meet up with our heroes, desperately battling to keep them away from the Arena, the last stronghold left in the city of Sicaris. The look of shock and horror on everyone's face as the Infernal Horde appeared to defeat us. The grand triumph of the appearance of the Airship "Cadic's Grace" to save our butts, followed by the horror of defeat as the Airship "Inferno" arrived to intercept and disable it.

Part of that was the spectacular writing, very emotional text told in great style, and the knowledge that we were walled in and were literally fighting for our lives in a very tough battle. The fact that several players sacrificed their characters to save the rest of us. Just a tremendous event with a lot of story and emotion.

That was probably my high point.

Having an RPGA module that premiered there and having people come up and tell me how cool it was was a really good point too, but only because it fed my ego :)

rpace

First Post
grodog said:
My favorite parts were probably meeting the many folks who stopped by the booth from ENWorld, the Necromancer/Pied Piper/Troll Lords/Acaeum/and other online forums :D

Wow -- didn't know you were there! It would have been great to finally meet you face to face!

~Richard

brunerr

First Post
GenCon

There were lots of great moments.....but the best was the final 10 second countdown to the end of the Living Arcanis Battle Interactive....after 8 hours of intense, nerve-wracking combat to know that not only did we survive...but we suceeded.

Brill

First Post
My magic moment

Seeing the look on the player's faces when they were told what 'Sundering Missle' does. The Arcanis BI was AWESOME.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Izerath said:
I can't even explain the joy of winning the RPGA Open after playing for 7 years and never even advancing to the semis once, mainly because we couldn't get the players to compliment our group of four. To meet JollyDoc and Joachim by chance and run away with the Open 1st prize was the thrill of a lifetime. It will be very hard to match that memory for years to come.

We couldn't have done it without you guys, and would have missed the opportunity to have made some fantastic new friends if we had tried. Fate smile on us all that fateful Friday morning.:eek:)

grodog

Hero
rpace said:
Wow -- didn't know you were there! It would have been great to finally meet you face to face!

Bummer Richard---were you in the art show? If so, I probably walked right past you and your fabulous work :(

rpace

First Post
grodog said:
Bummer Richard---were you in the art show? If so, I probably walked right past you and your fabulous work :(
Naw -- passed on the art show since I didn't want to be tied down during the con. As it was I still managed to miss a pile of stuff.

I spent much of Friday and Sunday sketching at the PCI booth, which kept me pretty busy, and was really the highlight of my con.

~Richard

Carmilla

First Post
LF High Level Rocked!

Mike has it dead to rights. The Living Force High Level, as run by Sith Lord Vic Polites, scared the freaking Force out of me. I was thrilled to have teammates I trusted, because I really wondered if I was gonna make it out alive. (I almost didn't.) And that heart-pounding sense of urgency ... Wow! I'll remember that game for a long, long time. Something like 11 hours, but it sure didn't feel like it.

Kevin, you're absolutely right, Vic is awesome. (Although we missed seeing your own lovely face, kiddo.)

Linda
Another Vic Groupie

Remove ads