• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the origin of "Use Magic Device"?

KrazyHades

First Post
When looking at the skills on a character sheet, Use Magic Device always stands out to me, especially because it is on the Rogue's skill list but not the "real" magic users. Is UMD in 3E because it had a history in earlier editions? I have no idea, because I've only played 3E. Maybe UMD is around to give the rogue something to do against an un-sneak attackable opponent (like using a Scroll of Fireball instead of an attack). Or perhaps to save the party if the cleric goes down (with a Wand of Cure Light Wounds).

Does anybody know definitively? If not, I'm happy to hear theories.

Spatula

Explorer
In 1 & 2e, thieves of high enough level could use some magic items that were restricted to other classes (mainly scrolls I believe), with a % chance to bungle it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
KrazyHades said:
When looking at the skills on a character sheet, Use Magic Device always stands out to me, especially because it is on the Rogue's skill list but not the "real" magic users. Is UMD in 3E because it had a history in earlier editions? I have no idea, because I've only played 3E. Maybe UMD is around to give the rogue something to do against an un-sneak attackable opponent (like using a Scroll of Fireball instead of an attack). Or perhaps to save the party if the cleric goes down (with a Wand of Cure Light Wounds).

Does anybody know definitively? If not, I'm happy to hear theories.

Rogues in AD&D had a percentage chance to "fake it" enough to cast spells from scrolls, be they clerical or magic-user (wizard, in 3E terms). It was called "% chance to read spell from scroll" or something similar. In 1E, it was 75% at 10th level, and didn't get higher. In 2E, you could put as much percent into it as you wanted out of a pool of "points" for all the thief skills, but no more than a maximum limit, until you got to a certain level.

As far as I know, someone took this, and expanded it to "faking it" for all magic items. That's why originally, Rogues were the only ones to get it in 3E.

KrazyHades

First Post
Where could the original idea have come from? I mean, how likely is it that a given thief is far better at guessing how to activate a scroll or find the word to a wand when compared to some other person? Does it just go with the idea that rogues are very lucky?

Glyfair

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
I thought it was from Vance's character, Cugel the Clever. Doesn't he misread a spell at some point?
I think it is mostly from Cugel the Clever. In Eyes of the Overworld...

[SBlock]Cugel specifically casts a spell from Iucounu the Laughing Magician's spellbook to have a demon appear and carry him away. Cugel mispronounces some words and is carried away himself.[/SBlock]Sounds almost exactly like the AD&D thief ability.

Gray Mouser may have been an influence, but the ability is more Cugel (who had no magical training) then Mouser (whose background lead some versions to have low level MU abilities).

Li Shenron

Legend
KrazyHades said:
Where could the original idea have come from? I mean, how likely is it that a given thief is far better at guessing how to activate a scroll or find the word to a wand when compared to some other person? Does it just go with the idea that rogues are very lucky?

It goes with the idea that Rogues are very flexible rather than lucky. They're the kind of adventurers that sometimes pick up some stray abilities or at least fake them. Indiana Jones and James Bond are Rogues for example.

It makes more sense to me that UMD is exclusive to such characters, than easily available to everyone.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
It's always stood out to me too, especially the part that lets you 'trick' an item into believing you're a different alignment or race or whatever. I mean, how exactly does one 'trick' an inanimate object?

Remove ads