• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was your favorite 1e/2e magic item?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Actualy, the only individual magic item that I have any real memory of is from the Palladium RPG (that item being the Ultimax Deathstone). Most of D&D's magic items were rather unremarkable, IMHO (specifically because individual magic items tend not to stand out much in a veritable sea of magic).

Rod of Wonder.

I didn't even look at the item description. I just knew that, when I pointed at anything, something happened. And I freakin' loved it :)

Back in them days it was a wand of wonder:)

Ring of shooting stars was one of my favorites too. Right up there with the trident of fish command.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
My Favorite Magic Item?

Although not an "official" magic item, I had a Forrest Gnome Beastrider that had a "Horn of Ventriloquism" made. It caused as much chaos for the party as it did for opponents (he was a Gnome after all, what better way to pull off jokes on his friends than with a magic horn of ventriloquism;)).

Bullgrit

Adventurer
What one item has the most nostalgia for you as you think back on early editions of D&D?
Blackrazor, Whelm, and Wave

There were many very cool magic items in the DMG, but most felt "generic" or "known" (even, dare I say, "commonplace") because they were listed in the DMG for all to see. Theoretically, anyone could have a staff of the magi just by random roll.

But the three magic items in White Plume Mountain were truly unique. You had to go through that adventure to get those specific items. Plus, they were something totally outside the standard rules -- they were "special", even more than the artifacts and relics listed in the DMG.

I used to game with a guy who's 13th-level thief owned Blackrazor. I thought that was the most awesome thing in the world.

Bullgrit
Total Bullgrit

Treebore

First Post
My favs were campaign/DM customized items. As for book items I probably like the Decantur of Endless Water and the Wand of Force best.

Andre

First Post
What one item has the most nostalgia for you as you think back on early editions of D&D?

Staff of the Magi...yep, that was always fun. Do I absorb that incoming spell or not? Oops...

Gauntles of Ogre Power + Belt of Storm Giant Strength + Hammer of the Thunderbolts...instant giant killer.

But my all-time favorite? Portable Hole. We would just stuff everything in there, and sort it out later. Bodies, bookcases, chests, coins, whatever. Our group gave real meaning to the phrase "anything not nailed down".

Good times. :)

darjr

I crit!
I always wanted Baba Yaga's Hut. It was just the thing for me. Dr Who in D&D and all. Still intrigued by the idea.

Anyway, speaking of the wand of wonder, in case you have not heard the story, Wolfgang Baur gives us R. A. Salvatore's Wubba Wubba story, just be sure your sitting down and not drinking any thing before you start listening.

edit to add that I'd never heard it before.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads