What was your first year of DMing like? Mistakes new DM's can avoid..

Dragonbait

Explorer
As fascinating as you think some new NPC that you just created is, they should NOT be the focus of an adventure, let alone a campaign. Players want their characters to be the foucs, not the GM's pet NPC. As much as people would think this is obvious, I've seen this too many times to expect other GMs to realize this.

Most beginning groups want to fight stuff and take their loot. D&D is based on that, and on the surface the rules seem to promote that. Foster role-playing, but don't force it or expect grand sessions. Run little scenes at first, to wet the appetite. While doing this, keep the action moving. Open with a fight in the first 30 minutes or so, if possible. It warms players up.

If you run an investigation adventure - Know the details of the crime, but do NOT set the clues and their locations in stone, or else the PCs may never find them. See where the PCs are going, and throw a clue or two at them, even if they don't ask the fisherman #12 (out of 20) who pulled up the murder weapon but did not tell anyone else.

The DMG2 is a great resource on how to GM (and not just in D&D). I have not read Dungeonmastering for Dummies.

FolcoTook

First Post
Asmor said:
*snip*Look for what people are trying to make their characters good at, because that's what they want to do.
You know, that's one of those things that's so obvious it's easy to miss. Thanks. I'm actually getting a new group going and, as I haven't played with most of them, I'm in the boat of not really knowing play style preferences. I have been trying to find out what they want to do and this should give me one more arrow in the arsenal.

-FT

Asmor

First Post
Dross just reminded me of something...

Especially when you're new, try to stick to the stuff published by WotC. If you MUST use a monster or something from a third-party company, scrutinize it VERY carefully. I'm not saying that WotC's stuff is all well-balanced and that third-party stuff is all poorly-balanced, but you're a lot more likely to run into something that screws your game up with the third-party stuff. For example, in a game I was playing in, we were all like level 8 at the time, and the DM threw us up against a demon of Lust. It was only a CR 3 or 5 or something that should have been easy, but it had the ability to charm all of us with a really high save, even for our level. He ended up having to fudge things to prevent the demon from having 5 new permanent servants. No way in hell a creature with that ability should have had such a low CR.

FolcoTook said:
You know, that's one of those things that's so obvious it's easy to miss. Thanks. I'm actually getting a new group going and, as I haven't played with most of them, I'm in the boat of not really knowing play style preferences. I have been trying to find out what they want to do and this should give me one more arrow in the arsenal.

-FT

I can't take credit for the idea. I think it was Treasure Tables that had the idea (they called it looking for flags).

ssampier

First Post
This bears repeating:

It's not the DM versus players.

The DM should play the monsters realistically as possible as he was an impartial judge (neither caring whether the monsters or PCs won)

Emirikol

Adventurer
Looking back over the years, the biggest problems I see fledgling judges make are very similar to those posted above:

1. Trying for too grand of a scope of a campaign..i.e. working too hard at first and not realizing that players don't ever appreciate that kind of stuff
2. Trying to make their own scenarios. The problem is balance. Players ABUSE new DM's and next thing you know you're handing out +5 swords and fighting demons in the first week of your group's career together.
3. Playing too high of a level in the beginning
4. Not playing under a 'real' DM before assuming the role. I think the best thing I ever did was play under a couple of adult DM's who ran very balanced and reasonable groups. As one poster mentioned, playing a couple of RPGA or RP-Artisans scenarios can really help a new DM claim a consistent style.
5. Not cultivating relationships with the players that bear mutual respect (i.e. a guy to look up the rules, a guy to help out with something else, a guy to make sure everyone has their characters straight, etc.)

jh

Wraith Form

Explorer
I've been reading the D&D books for years. Seriously, since the original boxed set days. I'm 36. I'm DM'ed a few one-shots or 3 - 4 week dungeon crawls, but nothing long term.

A few weeks ago I decided to be the DM--I mean, long term--for a group of friends. I saw the Dummies book for Dungeon Mastering and bought it, and enjoyed it. I've had the DMG2 for quite a while, and liked that as well.

Yesterday we did some "practice runs" with the combat, since I'm kinda scared silly of the d20 combat rules (2nd Ed AD&D rules were a lot less....detailed). Everyone knew it was for "practice" and that we'd be looking rules up as we went along as needed...and it was needed, often and repeatedly. :)

But everyone laughed, had a good time, and was very patient with me, which was cool. Next week, they begin the Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho (changed slightly to reflect a more human-dominant world).

I just want to say THANK YOU to all the above DMs who took time to post. You inspire me. I feel great that I can--after nearly 20 years of being a wallflower--comfortably and with confidence sit behind the Big Man's Screen and weave some stories with my friends knowing that it doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's fun.

You guys rock.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
For new DM, I would suggest the following.

Keep it simple to start. Using the core rules only and playing the lower levels make getting a handle on the basic mechanics much more managable. Be up front about why you want to keep things simple as well.

Varianor Abroad said:
... start small, with a couple "trial" campaigns to get their feet wet. Use published worlds and adventures and learn the ropes. Then start in on more detailed, personalized games.

Definately. I didn't initially. Going back and doing so helped me see what others were doing, and understand why. Then I started modifying things a bit, then moved back to creaeting things from scratch. Starting with smaller one-off adventures allows you to reset things if they aren't working out.

... read the Dungeon Master for Dummies and Dungeon Master's Guide.

I haven't read these materials, but agree that new DM's should do a little reading before jumping in. The DMG guides have been mentioned a few times as a good resource. Then re-read the material after a session or two. Points that didn't register initially may do so the on the second or third reading. The process of analysis and evalution is foundation of learning. Reading articles like those above will help kick that process along.

Asmor said:
Don't be too hard on yourself. As long as everyone's having fun, that's the important thing. Don't sweat the rules too much. Just make something up and keep the game moving.

Absolutely. And if you don't know something, be up front about it.

Some of the other advice I would hold off giving until the DM has got their feet and taken a few steps. Stuff like scenario vs story, know your players and what they want, know the characters and give everyone a chance to shine, avoid a DM vs player mentality etc, I would leave until later. I know when I came back to DM'ing after quite a few years off, I tried too hard to incorporate all of this all at once, and ended up getting tied in knots. Small steps.

thotd

Remove ads