• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was your irratating DmPC's backstory?

Akaiku

First Post
Whilst reading the Mary Sue and Have you been overshadowed by some gm contrivance threads, it occurred to me that people do tend to have stories about that one gmpc that irritated the crap out of them.

So, thus the question I ask for fun!

What is the backstory/justification given to you by your gm that is WHY said person is 'just better than you'?

Descended from or is a god/goddess? Ancient king/queen? Or true heir to great power? Super artifact? Something else?

Come on... it'll be fun, right? :angel:

Ktulu

First Post
I can't remember his name, but in what I consider the WORST CAMPAIGN EVER, the DM had a Mary Sue that just ticked me off (though, to be truthful, the entire session was the worst game of D&D I've ever played and caused the break-up of my original group, so complaining about one guy isn't much).

He was a quickling/god of sorts that interrupted our combats and defeated enemies, took all of our weapons when we, as players, were about to fight eachother, could traverse any distance or location instantly, even passing through traps that we couldn't.. The irritating part was he was played with this squeaky voice and there was never a backstory on the guy (at least in that session).

___

But the worst one. The one that takes the taco has to be Aloyicious. He was a "merchant" of questionable morals in a campaign back in 3e. He funded all our adventures and was quite antagonistic towards us. Nothing we did could harm or irritate him, and we were forced to just do whatever the DM made us do, through him.

No matter where we went (including a massive travel across the continents) he was always there. Around level 6 we were fighting off some drow or something when an ancient wyrm black dragon appeared to destroy us for plot-points we couldn't understand. Before he could attack, Aloyicious showed up said, "no" and "wished him out of existence"..I don't get it, either. Turns out, Aloyicious was a pit fiend in disguise using us to do his bidding. He was angry at having to "save us" and thus killed my character and the party barbarian out of spite.

He was some sort of "character" from a previous planescape game the DM played in with his older group. The character was trying to win the blood war and we were his pawns. Nevermind that nothing we ever actually did served to forward that goal, they were just odd little things that meant nothing. And, the fact that he killed half the party when irritated...

It was a stupid campaign that pretty much ended after that; it lasted 2-3 more sessions before we dumped it in favor of playing anything else.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I used to call these PNPCs (Player Non-Player Characters). :p

While I can't compete with that last one, I had a Shadowrun GM who had to have her pet character from a prior campaign tag along constantly. She came along constantly because she had some skill we didn't have.

With that in mind, I was determined to get a rank in every single skill (save for the magic skills). After I did, the GM pulled that one again. I told her that there was no need 'cause I had a rank in every skill in the book. She informed me that this was a special homebrew skill that wasn't in the book. :p Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. ;)

With that in mind, I was determined to get a rank in every single skill (save for the magic skills).

The whole DM v. player dynamic makes no sense to me -- aren't you all just friends?

I get that people seem to a union rule or an allergy against the DM having a character, but I don't get the passive-aggressive stuff between DM and players, in either direction.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Let's see---the worst DMPC to ever **** up a game was a 4th generation Malkavian based upon Harlequin (from Shadowrun).

There are nights I still wake up screaming.

Holy Bovine

First Post
This thread just sparked a memory I had thought long forgotten but it had to do with a neophyte Storyteller (it was for a Vampire game) and her attempt at a 'realistic' vampire story. We, as players, played ourselves (I knew this going in and figured it would be a change) and we were quickly ambushed and turned into vampires.

I was having great fun playing myself as a Nosferatu who suddenly found he could talk to his housecat but then she has herself appear in game - of course she is beautiful, intelligent and seems to know exactly what has happened to us . She is stronger than us, more connected to the local vamp community and just generally better than all of us and managed to play out some passive aggressive revenge scenarios on the male portion of the group (of which I was one) except her current boyfriend (not me thank gawd) who became...blood bonded? Something like that anyways so that became this awkward sex/violence thing that quickly devolved from there.

And that was the first, and last, time I played Vampire:tM.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
My gaming group had fallen apart and I knew an old freind of mine had a game going so I ask him if I could sit in for a while.

He told me that they were nearing into a battle so I'd have to start right in the middle of combat. I said ok and rolled up a quick druid,

We were fighting some sort of black knight, 5 of us hammering away on this guy who every few rounds quaffed a potion of full heal as a free action, this went on from about 9pm, to about 6am when the black knight shapeshifted into a dragon and flew away.

He then congratulated us on a such a good job, and we all went home.... I realized that just becuase we're freinds doesn't mean we can all game together.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The whole DM v. player dynamic makes no sense to me -- aren't you all just friends?

I get that people seem to a union rule or an allergy against the DM having a character, but I don't get the passive-aggressive stuff between DM and players, in either direction.

I think you might be misinterpreting the situation a bit. We were all good friends and had a great time. I was a lot younger then (by about 16 years!), so maybe it irked me more than it would have these days.

Thing is, the player characters should be the stars. NPCs shouldn't overshadow the player characters. I have no issue with the DM having a character tag along, as that's their "voice" in the game. I do it all the time. However, the DM's character should be there to give the players a boost, not to take center stage.

He then congratulated us on a such a good job, and we all went home.... I realized that just becuase we're freinds doesn't mean we can all game together.

There's a certain truth to this. I have a group of friends who I used to game with. They tend to play more mecenary games. I tend to play heroic games. Good friends, but our gaming styles just don't mesh.

Last edited:

Mine was randomly rolled. We were assigned backstories commensurate with "special abilities" by dice. Rolled by the co-DMs. Then, if our "special abilities" mattered, the co-DMs (boyfriend and girlfriend) went into the other room for a "DM Conference" and came back (mussed) and nerfed your power.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
We were fighting some sort of black knight, 5 of us hammering away on this guy who every few rounds quaffed a potion of full heal as a free action, this went on from about 9pm, to about 6am when the black knight shapeshifted into a dragon and flew away.

Dude... I would've walked out after an hour so of that crap. I can't believe you stayed for seven.

Remove ads