• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E What we want in our Golarion...

Crothian

First Post
False: You're LYING. Nobody has warned you about buying the current Campaign Guide (which is hard to find, I might add). You're making it up!

It's hard to find? I ask because just yesterday I saw two at the local used books stores that were in good condition for nice and cheap. I have a copy so I wasn't looking for a second and hopefully someone will be happy when they find them.

A new PFRPG Campaign Guide to the inner sea, with 64 pages of additional text and crunchy bits, is due out early this fall. It's not completely the same though, and I'm not sure what it is that Paizo might REMOVE from the current guide.

So, a new one is coming out then? Knowing that and hearing that the current one is hard to find I can understand why someone might wait for the new one.

SoldierBlue

First Post
I've read through the original Campaign Guide, but I'll hang on for the Inner Sea version to purchase.

I was extremely impressed with the River Kingdoms. The way that the varied authors brought a shared vision to the assorted parts of the River Kingdoms, and the way the whole area was built for adventure, was awesome.

If you want to do campaign design right, you could do no worse than pick this up. If you're looking for good bedside reading, pick it up. If you're playing Kingmaker, buy it.

So on the plus side for Golarion? River Kingdoms...

I would like to see more room for demi-humans, either in the form of some exclusive cities, kingdoms, etc.

Love Golarion's gnomes. Less keen on halflings.

IronWolf

blank
Whatever the case, the beauty of a kitchen-sink world like Golarion is that if there is some aspect of a fantasy world that you prefer, you can find some analogy to it in the setting. You then focus on that slice of that world and use what detail there is to flesh it out more clearly to be your "main campaign area". In that way, you focus on that highlighted area to convey the flavor and mythological roots and context to your particular campaign that you want. Most everybody can find some way to get out of the setting what it is that they want in that fashion.

This is certainly how I would use the setting if I set a campaign there (and if I run another campaign someday, this would be the world). I am not a fan of all parts of the world, but as you said - I can choose a region and base my campaign from there.

And in the future if my tastes change I can keep my games in the same world, just choose a different region and get a completely different feel for the game.

Steel_Wind

Legend

And you are RUDE. Very rude. Please don't do that again.

C'mon man: Chill OUT. It was CLEARLY a joke poking fun at the way his question was phrased. Is is True/False someone told me this? You're a liar. No one told you this - "You're making it up!"

Moreover, the second paragraph of the response clearly confirms that what he asks is true.

Ease up on the hair trigger please.

Last edited:

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Here's the number one thing that I don't want to see:

World-changing events. It's fine to have them be a potential outcome (a la Second Darkness if the PCs were to fail), but I certainly don't want to see an official "BTW we just blew up (insert nation/diety) because (insert lame reason here)". The only exception that I would make to this would be if some catastrophe was implemented to remove Halflings... but I can easily do that on my own :) (let's face it, Golarion gnomes are way more interesting)

Here's what I would like to see. More throw-away plot hooks. Paizo has generally been very good about this as evinced by Jame's response in SoldierBlue's Carrion Hill thread. Adding in little references that aren't explained away later in the text adds a certain depth to the campaign world that I find enjoyable.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
The revised hardcover won't be at Gen Con unless I finish building my time machine. I'm still working on the revisions to the book, after all, and the deadline to get products to the printer so they'll be at Gen Con was 3 weeks or so ago.

And there's not going to be any world changing cataclysm hitting Golarion anytime soon. The most you'll see us doing that is putting in some pretty crazy end-game resolutions to adventure paths in case the PCs fail to "win." We assume that enough PCs win adventure paths that, overall, Golarion is on average saved more often than it is destroyed. ;)

SoldierBlue

First Post
Four points:

1) I'll be buying the Inner Seas book. I think it's fair that they release a new book with some repetitive material - knowledge and understanding of the world will inevitably grow and change with time. Golarion's world-myth, deities, and how the races fit together, are all well done, and worth reprinting.

2) Halflings - Golarion gnomes are great, but halflings should stay in Mr. Tolkien's books where they belong. I don't see the necessity of having two "tiny" races.

3) Love the open plot hooks - they add to the sense of ambience and believability in Golarion.

4) Acknowlege James Jacobs' point that no world-changing events are in the offing. I wonder if we'll all feel this way 5 or 10 years from now? Will we start itching for a Golarion "Crisis on Infinite Earths"?

Stay low, move fast...

MerrikCale

First Post
2) Halflings - Golarion gnomes are great, but halflings should stay in Mr. Tolkien's books where they belong. I don't see the necessity of having two "tiny" races.

I always thought gnomes were second fiddle to halflings. Paizo did a nice job of getting the gnomes back in the mix

Remove ads