• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will be the cross-training differences?

Abstraction

First Post
Will there be any mechanical difference between a 10th level Fighter who chose Wizard Training at first level and a 10th level Wizard who chose Fighter training at first level?

Universal progression of BAB, saves, benefits & powers. Universal hit points? Maybe. There might not be any difference between the two options for Fighter/Wizard. Do we have any info confirming/contrary?

Mr Jack

First Post
My impression is that a fighter with wizard training will be an effective fighter who can dabble a little in spells (and vice-versa).

Dunamin

First Post
I certainly hope there will be a difference.

While I like freedom and options in my D&D games, I'd like to think there's something special about the class you start out as, considering how you've spent the better part of your upbringing practicing your initial trade and far less time on your later classes.

The idea that the fighter that trained under the city watch captain for 10 years to be the best swordsman in town and then later learned a few arcane skills, being equivalent to the wizard that studied away his child and teen years in an isolated tower under his stern mentor and then later learned to excel with a tower shield... well, I just don't see them being one and the same, even if they're both technically a lvl 1 Fighter / lvl 1 Wizard.

OOTS pictures it nicely.

am181d

Adventurer
Abstraction said:
Will there be any mechanical difference between a 10th level Fighter who chose Wizard Training at first level and a 10th level Wizard who chose Fighter training at first level?

Universal progression of BAB, saves, benefits & powers. Universal hit points? Maybe. There might not be any difference between the two options for Fighter/Wizard. Do we have any info confirming/contrary?

I'm under the impression that the "training" option just gives you one ability from another class. It doesn't scale as you level. You would need to take the training option multiple times.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Abstraction said:
On further consideration, will the cross-class training preempt the need for classes like the Swordmage that was mentioned?

No, because a fighter with Wizard training will have completely different abilities than a Swordmage.

Dronehound

First Post
What I hope is that crosstraining and powers will finally enable effective soloing, and not get into: you will die 100% chance because you are not a Rogue with the Trap sense ability, or no Cleric so no healing, etc. Sometimes soloing sessions or games in which the party is splitted up is fun. 3.X completely made that impossible with the enforced roles and the CR / EL dynamics.

Khaim

First Post
Dronehound said:
What I hope is that crosstraining and powers will finally enable effective soloing, and not get into: you will die 100% chance because you are not a Rogue with the Trap sense ability, or no Cleric so no healing, etc. Sometimes soloing sessions or games in which the party is splitted up is fun. 3.X completely made that impossible with the enforced roles and the CR / EL dynamics.

I think it'll be even better than that. You won't need a special character build at all to solo. Traps? You can beat them with any number of skills, including player improvisation. Healing? Everyone gets some- not as much as a cleric, but you won't die quite as fast. And with Wizards being brought down to earth, you won't need any great arcane power as well. Or vice versa- a solo wizard will at least be slightly viable without a meatshield in front of him.

Remove ads