• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will happen to 4th edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people want a PF-esque "this game is exactly like 4e so you can use all your old books" or do they want more of "this game plays like the definitive 4e, with all the subpar options removed and some of the clunkiness fixed"?

My Personal Stance
I dug 4e about 40%. The core ideas were pretty good, but the implementation was often lame. Like, I have very little interest in keeping my 4e books relevant, because they're filled with thousands of marginally-different but narratively-uninspired character options. But I wouldn't mind having a game that played a lot like 4e, just without all the chaff and fiddliness. Let me have interesting mechanical options in combat, but do so with elegance.

("If you're on difficult terrain and are flanked, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with flails," probably was not actually a feat in Dragon magazine, but it could have been. "This necklace lets you get resist 5 psychic against a single attack once per day" actually did exist, and was boring as hell, especially since there were 10,000 other magic items that were equally boring.)

I'd like to take 5e's concept of bounded accuracy, and its impressive feats, but mix in the pushing/maneuvering aspect of 4e, as well as the status conditions (but not as many of them, and with safety valves for solos). Get rid of the slavish adherence to math-balance, throw in a few more broad and flavorful powers (a la, "You can control fire, and here are some examples," instead of "Once per encounter you can use this one particular fire attack and you'll like it!"), and probably shrink the number of levels to 10.

I don't want small mechanical effects that make me incrementally better. I want dramatic and flavorful abilities that are all strong and fun. The game Go is amazing and complex, where tiny moves develop your strategy as you slowly overwhelm your opponent. But God of War is a lot more viscerally exciting.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Do people want a PF-esque "this game is exactly like 4e so you can use all your old books" or do they want more of "this game plays like the definitive 4e, with all the subpar options removed and some of the clunkiness fixed"? (snip)

I just want offline versions of the online tools that I can back-up and know I have access to forever.

I agreed with a lot of the rest of your post - including, inter alia, some magic items really are both boring and lame and horribly overpriced - but we've been playing enough that we seem to have found all the good bits.

After 33 years I am tired of new editions. I'm camping out right here... and I always have 13th Age, Savage Worlds, or Star Frontiers when I feel like something a bit different. :)

I will go with the fine wine analogy...

And on the subject of ageing gracefully like a fine wine, 4E remains the only published edition of D&D where the quality of the products improved during the edition's life. The designers actually improved in their mastery of the rules whereas, with every other edition, the TSR/WotC designers' skills devolved. If only we had had another year.... ;)

Ditto this. With every other edition of D&D, my GMing became less enthusiastic in proportion to my waning interest in running the system. 4e reversed field on this trend and dramatically. The more I have run it, the deeper enjoyment I have derived from it and the more profound my comprehension of its possibilities. Outside of a singular angry fist at the injustice of it all (and then a quick about-face as I walk away whistling and uncaring), I don't much care that 5e bears absolutely no resemblance to and has no ability to reproduce the 4e games I've run these last 6 years. I'll keep playing it hell or high water. I'm not going to act like a jilted lover (and I don't feel like one).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Ditto this. With every other edition of D&D, my GMing became less enthusiastic in proportion to my waning interest in running the system. 4e reversed field on this trend and dramatically. The more I have run it, the deeper enjoyment I have derived from it and the more profound my comprehension of its possibilities. Outside of a singular angry fist at the injustice of it all (and then a quick about-face as I walk away whistling and uncaring), I don't much care that 5e bears absolutely no resemblance to and has no ability to reproduce the 4e games I've run these last 6 years. I'll keep playing it hell or high water. I'm not going to act like a jilted lover (and I don't feel like one).

I really do know exactly what you mean.

Every other edition has worn me out as a DM except for 4E where, if anything, I have more ideas now that when I started to run it. (And I came in late because the edition warring browned me off so badly I thought I would just stick with 3.xE....) It's also the only edition where I would consider being a player: I actually played two LFR games a few years which were the first time I had played in something like 25 years!

Also like you, I don't take its cancellation as a personal attack by WotC. They screwed the pooch badly in so many ways with 4E, particularly with its initial adventures and pseudo-adventures paths, but despite their role in killing the edition, it was simply a business decision that was not personally targeted at me.

I'm also not worried about the lack of ongoing support. I have tonnes of material across a range of editions that I will never be able to fully use no matter how long I live. I just want offline versions of the tools, preferably legal....

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Do people want a PF-esque "this game is exactly like 4e so you can use all your old books" or do they want more of "this game plays like the definitive 4e, with all the subpar options removed and some of the clunkiness fixed"?

I'd work with either. 13th age right now is scratching my "plays kind of like 4e, but smoother" itch, though my table likes tactical combat on the grid so I don't think it will replace 4e for us.

My Personal Stance
I dug 4e about 40%. The core ideas were pretty good, but the implementation was often lame. Like, I have very little interest in keeping my 4e books relevant, because they're filled with thousands of marginally-different but narratively-uninspired character options. But I wouldn't mind having a game that played a lot like 4e, just without all the chaff and fiddliness. Let me have interesting mechanical options in combat, but do so with elegance.

Ah. Gamma World.

I will admit that as much as I like 4e, I have actually houseruled a lot to get rid of the fiddliness and make it more like Gamma World. For example - we migrated over to the Gamma World "add your whole level" system and have ditched bonuses that come from magic items and feats. We've also reduced the number of feats that PCs get to a more manageable level, since I figured most of those feat slots existed PURELY to make the math work. One of the things that I really like about 4e's engine is that they were so open and up front about the math behind the mechanics that it becomes relatively easy to adjust the system so long as you keep the core numbers that things are built around in mind.

Bounded accuracy would be trivial to implement in a system like this because you just change "+ your level" to "+ your proficiency bonus" and you're basically done. Fix monsters by subtracting their level from defenses and then adding a fudge factor between 1 and the max proficiency bonus, tweak the DCs for skills to a flat set of DCs that maybe bump up a bit at Paragon tier and again a bit at Epic and you're pretty much done. In fact, I kind of figured that the "bounded accuracy" mechanics were a natural progression from 4e/Gamma World mechanics (and something I'd considered houseruling for 4e myself before being overruled by folks at my table who enjoy rolling giant totals on their attack rolls :) )

Raith5

Adventurer

("If you're on difficult terrain and are flanked, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with flails," probably was not actually a feat in Dragon magazine, but it could have been. "This necklace lets you get resist 5 psychic against a single attack once per day" actually did exist, and was boring as hell, especially since there were 10,000 other magic items that were equally boring.)

I'd like to take 5e's concept of bounded accuracy, and its impressive feats, but mix in the pushing/maneuvering aspect of 4e, as well as the status conditions (but not as many of them, and with safety valves for solos). Get rid of the slavish adherence to math-balance, throw in a few more broad and flavorful powers (a la, "You can control fire, and here are some examples," instead of "Once per encounter you can use this one particular fire attack and you'll like it!"), and probably shrink the number of levels to 10.

I don't want small mechanical effects that make me incrementally better. I want dramatic and flavorful abilities that are all strong and fun. The game Go is amazing and complex, where tiny moves develop your strategy as you slowly overwhelm your opponent. But God of War is a lot more viscerally exciting.

Agree. I would buy the rpg you are thinking of here! I think 5e was animated by some of the concerns you note here but has weighed down by going back to some ideas and aspirations of earlier editions. I understand why they are going back to earlier editions - and I respect the playtest engagement with the D&D community and the aspiration of modularity - earlier editions are just no longer my cuppa of tea, design wise. Slaughtering sacred cows is the price of progress that I am happy to pay.

Pretty much this, removing some OP content as well. But I'd also like to see a few things like action points vanish.

I just want offline versions of the online tools that I can back-up and know I have access to forever.

I'm not a huge fan of the e-tools but the community in general is, and I think that's necessary. Will these e-tools work in Windows 15? Probably not :( Then again, I wonder if D&D 8e will even have physical rulebooks.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) I'm not a huge fan of the e-tools but the community in general is, and I think that's necessary. Will these e-tools work in Windows 15? Probably not :( Then again, I wonder if D&D 8e will even have physical rulebooks.

They probably will. After all, they're not complicated. I imagine it will be like .txt files: they've been readable for roughly a generation, right? Frankly, I can live without the monster builder now - I often create monsters in Word documents as I have the numbers all in my head - but I cannot live without the Compendium. That's my bare minimum. And, if worse comes to worse, I will laboriously save each page by hand....

D&D8E? I don't think so. I think 5E is the end of the tabletop editions for D&D. It's clearly not a priority judging from the reduced headcount and scaled down plans and I think it's basically being kept alive while Hasbro tries to find how to make a major score from a movie or three or some other media.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads