• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will Masterplan be after the C&D?

[sblock]
Bobby.png

[/sblock]
Once you upload a file, you can export, link, print out sheets, and do tons of stuff. The point being - the data is stored on a third party server. The only difference is only the method of transfer.
I don't think it's quite the same. Above, you're just saving a character file, which has in it the data for the tiny handful of powers your character has.

In contrast, Masterplan can download, archive, and review the entire catalogue of monsters available in the compendium.

The main difference seems to be the volume of the downloaded content, which is an order of magnitude larger in Masterplan's case.

guivre

First Post
Sure, but the concern may be with how easy it made it to share the contents of DDI. WotC seems to have much less of a problem with something like IPlay4E, which actively connects to it during use, but doesn't datamine and store the information outside the Compendium.

No data mining is being performed by Masterplan.

Kafen

First Post
I don't think it's quite the same. Above, you're just saving a character file, which has in it the data for the tiny handful of powers your character has.

In contrast, Masterplan can download, archive, and review the entire catalogue of monsters available in the compendium.

The main difference seems to be the volume of the downloaded content, which is an order of magnitude larger in Masterplan's case.

Oh, I agree there is a quantity and scope difference. However, the point about Mastermind being an archive suite while other sites like iPlay4e are not storage sites is a false one. Both software options store data. iPlay4e stores data in Character Builder files and sql format while Mastermind locks them the .library format. On a technical level, both suites store data. The quantity is beside the point.

malraux

First Post

It doesn't even have the data for the powers. It has the name of the power. The text of what it does is still stored on the DDI server.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Oh, I agree there is a quantity and scope difference. However, the point about Mastermind being an archive suite while other sites like iPlay4e are not storage sites is a false one. Both software options store data. iPlay4e stores data in Character Builder files and sql format while Mastermind locks them the .library format. On a technical level, both suites store data. The quantity is beside the point.

But the Character Builder files don't contain the text of the powers or anything like that. The Character Builder program does that. And iPlay4E doesn't store any of the "fluff" data either. It provides links to the compendium entry.

guivre

First Post
What do you call going through and cataloging every element of database in your own format.

It's called information retrieval or any number of other terms, but not data mining. Data mining is a technical term with a specific definition. Masterplan does no data mining.

Kafen

First Post
But the Character Builder files don't contain the text of the powers or anything like that. The Character Builder program does that. And iPlay4E doesn't store any of the "fluff" data either. It provides links to the compendium entry.

However, the point about data storage is my point - both suites store the data. If you want to say that iPlay4e is hotlinking the data and using WOTC's bandwidth, I agree with you. The fact that both suites store some data is still present. The amount of data is beside the point once you start firing off C and D letters at people. I am not fond of that license model. Players tend to get upset when the easy buttons are all broken. It is why I am watching this one. If WOTC is going to start doing this to software devs... *shrug* I am expressing my worry. :p Players like cool toys and I want my toys.

Last edited:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
However, the point about data storage is my point - both suites store the data. If you want to say that iPlay4e is hotlinking the data and using WOTC's bandwidth, I agree with you. The fact that both suites store some data is still present. The amount of data is beside the point once you start firing off C and D letters at people.

The difference is that iPlay4e, if you no longer have a DDI subscription, no longer provides you with the information from the compendium (assuming the power is not in the free stuff that everyone has access to.) Masterplan allowed you to download the compendium data and then continue to access it, even after your subscription had ended.

malraux

First Post
It's called information retrieval or any number of other terms, but not data mining. Data mining is a technical term with a specific definition. Masterplan does no data mining.

Regardless of the exact technical term, its clear that MP replicates a rather large portion of the DDI database. Getting hung up over obscure terms is beside the point.

Remove ads