• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What Will The First 4e Computer Game Be?

Kaodi

Hero
I do not care to speculate whether 4e will be a better or worse system, more like or more unlike " CRPGs " .

I am just wondering whether:

1. The game will be set in the Forgotten Realms, Eberron or some other setting.

2. Whether the publisher of said game has been in on 4e, as the publishers of early 3e games were in on 3e before it was released to the public.

I have a feeling that Forgotten Realms will again steal all the glory, despite being the settle of almost every decent D&D CRPG ever. Personally, I will always hope for Eberron, yet that seems unlikely unless Wizards allows for a CRPG to scoop the stuff unique to Eberron in order to tide the fans of the setting over until the release of the new campaign sourcebook.

As to the second point, chances are that someone was, as game developers are no strangers to NDA, but you never know. Could be a very long time until we see a 4e game, or at least a decent 4e game if the first couple are rushed.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

gnfnrf

First Post
Kaodi said:
2. Whether the publisher of said game has been in on 4e, as the publishers of early 3e games were in on 3e before it was released to the public.

Well, I know a game designer who worked on NWN2 and swore loudly when the announcement went public ("We have to redo the engine AGAIN!?!?"), so, if someone has been developing a game early, it wasn't them.

--
gnfnrf

I would love to see an Eberron game that takes place in Sharn, City of Towers. Imagine lifts, skybridges, skyoaches, soarsleds, massive towers, a floating quarter, dark seedy lower levels, and an Undersharn for dungeon delving. It's huge and very densely populated!

PaSquall

First Post
Ravenknight said:
Baldurs Gate III :) Hopes are high.
Doubtful, alas...
The only thing sure is that it will be Atari/infogrames doing it, and there will be a neverwinternights 3. Will it be the first, that is the question...

Last edited:

avin

First Post
BG 3 The black hound? Nope :(
NWN3? yuks...
I'd like to see a TOEE-like engine...

... but I bet it will be a MMORPG. What's the lv 30 point if not this? ;)

Jhamin

First Post
Remember that the first 3.0 rules Computer game was that awful Pool of Radience followup.
Anybody can shovel out something awful that uses the new rules. I'm waiting for the first game that uses whatever the strength of the new rules will be to do some interesting stuff in Computer format.

I'm thinking that it will be at least three years (two years after 4.0 comes out) before we get a decent game. The people making the game need time to digest system *and* make a game.
Given how intertwined Game Development and the RPG worlds are, I'm guessing we would have heard something by now if any CRPG people were working on a 4.0 game.

Remove ads