• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What world has the best maps?

What world has the best world map?

• World of Greyhawk (including the DUNGEON map)

Votes: 94 25.5%
  • Forgotten Realms (any version)

Votes: 133 36.1%
  • Eberron

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • Kalamar

Votes: 50 13.6%
  • CONAN d20/Hyboria

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Oriental Adventures

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 56 15.2%

• Poll closed .

reanjr

First Post
Turhan said:
I saw the Kalamar map a year or so back, but don't recall much about it. I don't play there, so it meant little to me. I occasionally play in the FR, so I'm predisposed toward it. I just got the first Greyhawk map, and though it is pretty nice, it has the hex grid on it. Yuck.

My vote goes to the FR map.

Kalamar did something really nice and includes with the campaign setting a transparency overlay with hex grid that you can use if you need it, or if you don't want it just don't use it. Brilliant.

reanjr

First Post
Coredump said:
The kalamar map that comes with the Campaign book (as opposed to the Atlas) also comes with a clear plastic sheet that has the hex pattern; thus you can use it as an overlay. Very handy, without putting the hex on the paper.

The Atlas (IIRC) details the cities, and some towns. There is plenty of space to put locations.

The atlas has a dot and name for every town above 500 population, I believe. The only detail for cities is the population count and the latitude and longitude (I believe to the second, but it might only be minute) (so that you don't have to worry about the map projection method if you want ultra accurate data).

Thanee

First Post
reanjr said:
I can almost guarantee you that those who voted for FR and GH have not seen the Kalamar Atlas
Yep, most only know the big settings and will vote the best they know from those.

So, unlike you require to know all the poll options, the result is rather flawed at best. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
reanjr said:
Kalamar did something really nice and includes with the campaign setting a transparency overlay with hex grid that you can use if you need it, or if you don't want it just don't use it. Brilliant.
That's not really a new idea, I think FR had that in the 1st Ed. box already. I'm actually glad they got rid of that stupid plastic sheet, but that's just me. :)

Do you need it to measure distances, or did they put a scale onto the maps, too?

Anyways, I do not know the Kalamar Atlas, have only seen the core book once. I often heard the Atlas is incredibly well done, tho. Other than that, my vote clearly goes to the FR 3rd edition maps. I really like the way they are done.

Bye
Thanee

Joe123

First Post
I say Mystara. The Hollow World and Known World were the two parts making up Mystara. There was a `globe' map with a coloured drawing of both worlds, (much like our map of Earth, but these were of two fantasy worlds). In addition, the long line of Gazetteers each came with a map that showed in even greater depth, many countries of the Known World (and some of the Hollow World) to a scale of 8 miles per hex. The only setting mapped more comprehensively might be the atlas that comes with Kalamar. Other than that, you'd struggle to find maps of a fantasy setting that are as detailed as Mystara. Third edition FR maps (from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book) are not nearly as detailed or comprehensive as Mystara.

Last edited:

Omote

First Post
dr harn said:
Harn by far. :D

The HARN maps are pretty frickin' good! I think thenew GH maps are tops, but HArn is a close second. Wasn't all that impressed by the Kalamar Atlas. I know a lot of work when into it, but overall just not quite as good as the others IMO.

.................................Omote
FPQ

wsclark

Explorer
reanjr said:
Rough guess? 1"=25 miles

[edit] On second thought, I think it might be clsoer to 20 miles. The thing covers about 6 million square miles, with each page covering approx. 30,000 square miles (about 8.5 x 8.5 in., with the rest of the page for town index and wide view with page numbers for adjacent sections of the atlas). I must note that this is all from memory, so the numbers are probably a bit off.
The Campaign Map is 1" = 60 miles and comes with the hex overlay.

The Atlas Maps are 1" = 25 miles and a millimeter ruler is perfect for measuring distances on it.

Remove ads