• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What WotC does better than other D20 studios. (mild rant)

Artimoff

First Post
I guess the Slaine series by Mongoose could be my ideal example.It started with a campain/players book followed by a book about the lands (DMbook), followed by modules and clan/splat books, followed by the company stopping there because that's all there is to tell.

I realise that Slaine probabaly ended due to lack of sales, but it kinda fits the example of what I would consider good planning. It gives me hope for their upcomming Conan series.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Re: Re: What WotC does better than other D20 studios. (mild rant)

{Let's see, 3e FR products

1st Monsters of Faerun
2nd FRCS}

Actually, Monsters of Faerun is a core D&D product. It doesn't even have an FR logo, and it uses the MM cover. It's not even set up like an FR product (in fact, the FR info for each monster is crammed into a paragraph at the end of it's description).

In any case, the _actual_ first 3E FR product was Into The Dragon's Lair, an adventure by yours truly and Steve Miller. :)

(And that's only if you don't include Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor, which was written even before ITDL but wasn't released until about a year later.)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
My on reply to such remarks is "We got more to the world than just one freaking mega continent!" But that's just the fanatic in me.

Btw Sean, nice to see you and thanks again for the book! ;) Check is still in the mail...on a slow boat from China. I sent it there first. ;)

Brennin Magalus

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Yes, the non-WotC settings draw interest, but EN World is lucky enough to have the company representatives post here. All the Forgotten Realms/Eberron have supporting them is a random post by SKR/Keith and there's still more interest.

The d20 campaign worlds have to go out of their way to do something clever to gain attention.

With the largest market share, WotC is able to sell mediocre settings such as the Forgotten Realms* simply by relying on name recognition. Other companies actually have to produce quality settings (e.g., the Scarred Lands) to maintain viability.

*The Forgotten Realms (much like SKR's opining on his message board) really sucks, IMO, and it should have remained forgotten in the dank recesses of Greenwood's twisted mind.

Brennin, welcome to the boards.

As a gentle reminder, we don't make personal attacks here. I'm going to do you a favor and remove the one in this post.

To save myself from editting this and then making a response to your post, I'll save myself the mouse clicks and say that SKR is welcome to any opinion he has, much as you are, and perhaps his message boards are a better place to question them. --Dinkeldog

Last edited by a moderator:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Looks like I came late to this controversy, which is probably for the best. What's with pitching so much heat SKR's way lately anyway? First the cat, now whatever this was.

Anyway, besides the remarks that amounted to little or nothing earlier (except for some good natured ribbing Nightfall's way), I would like to say that I don't think other companies have jumped on the D20 bandwagon willy nilly. They simply had different strategies. While I could go one about the different companies' strategies for a few pages, I'll just look at the Scarred Lands since it seems to be the one under attack here.

First of all, the original focus of the D20 license was to get new rules from different people out there (and please don't bring up the argument of everyone else supporting WotC's core rulebooks, I'm well aware of that). SSS comes along and puts out a monster book. At first it was viewed in its own right rather than being attached to anything larger. But hey, what is this Scarred Lands thing they keep mentioning? It keeps you guessing. Then comes Relics and Rituals - another book that stands alone in any D&D campaign, plus there's a lot of really cool stuff that found its way into that particular book. There's lots of spells, different types of magic, prestige classes, rituals, and so on. Its all good stuff, and I would challenge anyone who plays D&D to not find something in that book they can't use. Finally, a few books later, we finally get the Scarred Lands as an actual campaign setting instead of just a tease.

I would argue that had SSS not planned their product line out in this way; had they instead jumped in feet first with the setting and then done the support material, their D20 "larger conept" books would not be nearly as successful as they are. I would argue that they had the right idea, and I would also guess that they're still riding high on the success of their initial strategy.

Now, the Forgotten Realms is a different story. People already know it, but they wanted to know how the setting translated into 3rd edition. There's all kinds of crunchy goodness in that first book, but there was also a need to start again with a "year 0" for that setting so that it could be accessible for people who want to get into it for the first time. Its a different strategy than what SSS was implementing, and I would argue that they both succeeded.

Finally, do people care about the non-WotC setting books? Well, as someone who has done some work for WotC (in fact I did just finish working on something I can't talk about yet relating to the Forgotten Realms), and I also work quite a bit on Bastion's Oathbound, I would hope that the answer is yes. What WotC is able to do is give you the D&D you know in a new and exciting package. The tweaks to the rules will probably be minimal so that you don't have to relearn the entire game. And this is a good thing. I don't want WotC to hand me something that has a brand new custom magic system, different character classes, and alternate rules (except for Unearthed Arcana, but that's going to be a core product), I would rather have Monte Cook or Bastion Press hand me that type of alternate setting. If you buy an alternate setting, you should go in with the attitude that you may need to tweak the rules a bit to play in the way it was intended. When you do buy into a system like that, and it ends up being good, it will be a new and refreshing experience.

edit: By the way, I've met Ed Greenwood personally, and he is one of the kindest, most unassuming people I've had the pleasure to meet; though he definitely does have a thing for the ladies. :D

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads