• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would be better for this build?

Skead

First Post
Code:
Human Bard1/Paladin4/Fighter2/ Bard+13
Level Class                                    BAB                Feats
1     Bard1:                                     0    Power Attack, Melodic Casting
2     Bard1/Paladin1:                         1
3     Bard1/Paladin2:                         2    Snowflake Wardance
4     Bard1/Paladin3:                         3
5     Bard1/Paladin4:                         4
6     Bard1/Paladin4/Fighter1:             5    Devoted Performer, Two Weapon Fighting
7     Bard1/Paladin4/Fighter2:             6    Imp. Two Weapon Fighting
8     Bard2/Paladin4/Fighter2:             7
9     Bard3/Paladin4/Fighter2:             8    Divine Might
10    Bard4/Paladin4/Fighter2:            9
11    Bard5/Paladin4/Fighter2:            9
12    Bard6/Paladin4/Fighter2:           10   Practiced Spellcaster
13    Bard7/Paladin4/Fighter2:           11
14    Bard8/Paladin4/Fighter2:           12
15    Bard9/Paladin4/Fighter2:           12   Greater Two Weapon Fighting
16    Bard10/Paladin4/Fighter2:         13
17    Bard11/Paladin4/Fighter2:         14
18    Bard12/Paladin4/Fighter2:         15   [OPEN]
19    Bard13/Paladin4/Fighter2:         15
20    Bard14/Paladin4/Fighter2:         16

I didnt make it, but I really like the idea of a melee bard that doesn't have to use 10 different books to make him do really nice damage. It has amazing charasima synergy, but i wanted to know if I should go TWF or 2 handed?

thnaks!

Felix

Explorer
2-handed weapon. Some bard spell still have somatic components, and you can't use somatic components if you have a weapon in both hands. Also, you'll get more from Power Attack.

And of course there is the small matter of your Alignment. A Bard cannot be Lawful and advance in the class and a Paladin must be Lawful Good to even retain his abilities. Work this little wrinkle out with your DM and you'll be ok.

Maleketh

First Post
Felix said:
And of course there is the small matter of your Alignment. A Bard cannot be Lawful and advance in the class and a Paladin must be Lawful Good to even retain his abilities. Work this little wrinkle out with your DM and you'll be ok.

He has - Devoted Performer lets you advance as a bard even if you're lawful.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Felix said:
And of course there is the small matter of your Alignment.
Note the Devoted Performer feat at level 6, before he takes any more Bard levels.

IMHO, a better build would be to discard the Fighter levels, and instead go Greatsword (two-handed weapon) and Longbow. Your maximum per-round damage will go down, but you have to realize that the TWF Snowflake Wardance build's damage is based on a theoretical maximum, which assumes a round of full attacks -- and that ain't gonna happen often in melee. Archery makes it much more likely, and the Bard makes a godlike archer.

The trick is to simply take two levels of Bard first, then switch to Paladin for 4 levels. Take Devoted Performer (of course), but focus on using Power Attack and Inspire Courage for damage.

It'd look something like this:

1/ Bard 1 -- Power Attack, Melodic Casting
2/ Bard 2 (hey, first level spells! Take inspirational boost)
3/ Paladin 1 -- Devoted Performer
4/ Paladin 2
5/ Paladin 3
6/ Bard 3 -- Song of the Heart (Eberron)
7/ Paladin 4
8/ Bard 4
9/ Bard 5 -- Divine Might or Divine Vigor
10/ Bard 6
11/ Bard 7 (3rd level spells, get haste)
12/ Bard 8 -- Point Blank Shot or Extra Smiting or a Divine feat
13/ Bard 9
14/ Bard 10
15/ Bard 11 -- Rapid Shot or Extra Smiting or Practiced Spellcaster
16/ Bard 12
17/ Bard 13
18/ Bard 14 -- Precise Shot or Extra Smiting or Leadership
19/ Bard 15
20/ Bard 16 (ooo, 6th level spells!)

(Since Snowflake Wardance adds to your attack rolls, I don't really see the point of TWF + Power Attack. You are going to suck relative to what a Greatsword could dish out.)

If you can't get Song of the Heart, just invert the levels of Bard 3 and Paladin 4, and pick up Divine Might at 6th level instead.

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Quartz said:
Why are you taking 4 levels in Paladin?
Turn Undead + Power Attack -> Divine Might -> Cha to damage for a round, 3 + Cha times per day. Awesome for archers.

Cheers, -- N

Felix

Explorer
Maleketh said:
He has - Devoted Performer lets you advance as a bard even if you're lawful.
Pfft. I'd have known that if I was paying attention. As if.

:heh: :D

Nifft said:
Turn Undead + Power Attack -> Divine Might -> Cha to damage for a round, 3 + Cha times per day. Awesome for archers.

Cheers, -- N
Not bad for two-handed weapon tanks either.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Felix said:
Not bad for two-handed weapon tanks either.
Since it's a direct damage bonus and not an attack bonus, it's best for archers and TWF melee dudes. Bonuses to attack are best for two-handed tanks. :)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads