D&D (2024) What would be the path between Wildshape Templates and Use an Beast statblock?

I think it was mentioned that the Druid is getting another pass with a revision to Wildshape (and Moon Druid) that's between the old Use a Creature statblock and the template approach that were both in previous UAs.

Could it be the template options, but you may use a low CR statblock as well?
Or a scaling template but you can you the movement, attacks and special abilities of a beast of a certain CR?

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I hope they give a clear option for both. If they try to go the template only route again I will downvote it completely. I am not interested in using a limited and uninspiring template, because there is no way WotC will make it customizable enough to be worth it without making it just as complex to pick and choose from as spells are. It’s the same problem I have with the Tasha summon spells, they are very limited in there customizable options.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think it was mentioned that the Druid is getting another pass with a revision to Wildshape (and Moon Druid) that's between the old Use a Creature statblock and the template approach that were both in previous UAs.

Could it be the template options, but you may use a low CR statblock as well?
Or a scaling template but you can you the movement, attacks and special abilities of a beast of a certain CR?
I’m hoping they try statblocks that fill different roles, with a choice of movement type, and which special action you have, and a special passive trait like tremorsense or crazy speed.

And then, also have existing monster statblocks.

I hope they give a clear option for both. If they try to go the template only route again I will downvote it completely. I am not interested in using a limited and uninspiring template, because there is no way WotC will make it customizable enough to be worth it without making it just as complex to pick and choose from as spells are. It’s the same problem I have with the Tasha summon spells, they are very limited in there customizable options.
I guess our votes will be cancelling each other. I vastly prefer a revised template option and will continue to 0-rate anything that supports Monster Manual scraping.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My hope would be for them to provide a number of “default wild shapes” directly in the PHB. These would be fixed statblocks rather than the generic level-scaling templates of UA4, and they would be specialized for certain tasks. For example, when you first gain wild shape at 2nd level, you could get CR 1/4 “combat form” that’s Medium and has solid HP, AC, and a good attack; a CR 1/8 “steed form” that’s Large and quadrupedal and has a high base speed; and a CR 0 “scout form” that’s Tiny and has stealth proficiency and a climb speed. Then at 4th level you could gain access to a CR 1/2 “improved combat form” that’s Large and has better stats than the standard combat form; and a CR 1/4 “aquatic form” with a swim speed (or maybe put that one at 2nd level as well). Finally at 8th level you gain access to a CR 1 “superior combat form” and a CR 1/2 “Aerial form” with a fly speed. These would appear right in the PHB, and players could describe them however they like. Then, provide a way for Druids to gain new forms by studying animals they encounter, just like Wizards can add new spells to their spellbooks.

OB1

Jedi Master
My hope is that they lock in the CR (instead of having it go up at higher levels) and then you add capabilities to those creatures as you level up, with Moon Druid getting a bigger list. So at early levels, your wolf is just a wolf, but at higher levels it's larger, does more damage, etc. Or a horse that can eventually fly, that sort of thing.

My hope is that they lock in the CR (instead of having it go up at higher levels) and then you add capabilities to those creatures as you level up, with Moon Druid getting a bigger list. So at early levels, your wolf is just a wolf, but at higher levels it's larger, does more damage, etc. Or a horse that can eventually fly, that sort of thing.
If they are going to have lists of new abilities/capabilities to add to monster stat blocks, you might as well have the template stackblock with all those abilities as options to add, so that you can build your own beast. Want your wolf to be able to pounce rather than pack tactics? You can make that choice.

The HP, AC, and all that for the list of existing beast stat blocks aren't really different enough to warrant tracking them as separate stat blocks for wildshape. Just compare a wolf to a panther. The differences between the raw stats are not significantly different enough to keep them unique from each other. It's the different special abilities and speeds that matter.

The template design (with a list of selectable beast abilities) is clearly superior for:
  1. Balanced, reliable design that is easily learned and doesn't change too much between wildshapes. You can always know your Wildshape stats at the level in question.
  2. Not needing to search for beast statblocks in the whole library of D&D and 3rd party books (but can still use them as inspiration).
  3. Capturing any theme the Druid wants, like power-scaling preferred beasts or chimeric beasts, even if there isn't an existing stat block for them. If you prefer your druid to have an affinity for wolves and want to be able to become a much more powerful Dire Wolf at 20th level, you can. If you want to create a chimeric "Ravenhound" (like an Owlbear), you can. You aren't limited by the requirement of a unique statblock in a monster manual.
  4. Saving precious pagespace, freeing it up for other design. You don't need to reprint all those MM stat blocks in a PH appendix.
The only thing missing from the original template idea are the special abilities like poison bite and spider climb, or pounce and pack tactics. As long as there is a list of about 20 special abilities to choose from to build your beast, you can describe it however you want. The stat block template can otherwise have Level/PB scaling AC, HP, Ability Scores, Speed, and the like. Template design does work in Summoning spells and subclass companions. It can be solid and flexible, like a lot of 2024 design. Open up the design theme options.

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
The problem with templates, is that building your own statblock is tedious, let alone 6 or 7 statblocks. With pre-generated, unique statblocks, you just pull it up, use your own mental scores and HP, and you're ready to go.

Remove ads