What would happen if the Track feat was removed?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
TheAuldGrump said:
How big is a 'small party'? If it is three or more then you might want to leave it as is, for one or two you might want to talk them into getting a dog and having it trained it to track, adding some muscle to the group at the same time.

There are some really interesting points and ideas here.

Our group consists of four guys, with a (sort of) 3 PC party. Two guys alternate as the DM or a player, and two others are dedicated players. The latter pair's PCs are there for every session, and the other two PCs take turns being present.

The dog option is a nice work-around for a group without Track! It still leaves us in the hole for Investigate, Research, and Urban Tracking though, and I'd like for the PCs to be able to actually find information if they invest ranks in a given skill.

I do like the idea of making them into Improved feats: +4 bonus to the skill for that task, and permits checks over DC 20. I'll propose it to the co-DM for a trial run, and we'll see how it goes.

-blarg

Timeboxer

Explorer
blargney the second said:
I do like the idea of making them into Improved feats: +4 bonus to the skill for that task, and permits checks over DC 20. I'll propose it to the co-DM for a trial run, and we'll see how it goes.

Just a last suggestion -- it may be more appealing to your players if Improved Track, Improved Research, and Improved Investigate actually took less time than without the feats, as well. Say something along the lines of "takes half as much time," or "you can retry this skill with this feat," or something.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Amy Kou'ai said:
Just a last suggestion -- it may be more appealing to your players if Improved Track, Improved Research, and Improved Investigate actually took less time than without the feats, as well. Say something along the lines of "takes half as much time," or "you can retry this skill with this feat," or something.

That's a great suggestion! :)

Timeboxer

Explorer
I must admit to thinking that a lot of the normal PHB feats are rather underpowered (e.g. a lot of the skill feats), and I think that between a +4 to that use of the skill, the ability to break a DC 20 barrier, and taking less time, it actually becomes a desirable feat to take without being particularly overpowered.

BWP

Explorer
blargney the second said:
The dog option is a nice work-around for a group without Track! It still leaves us in the hole for Investigate, Research, and Urban Tracking though

That's why you make sure that the dog is very, very smart!

:cool:

Staffan

Legend
My tracking house rule:
1. Increase all DCs for tracking by 5.
2. Remove the "Must have the Track feat to follow tracks" rule.
3. Change the Track feat to "Gives +5 on tracking rolls."

In a sort-of-related thing, I've also removed the rule about only rogues (and scouts and artificers) being able to find/remove traps with DC 20+. I really do not like rules that limit the applications of skills to people of certain classes.

Remove ads