• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would happen if you reversed all the alignments for all the creatures in the Monster manual?

Celebrim

Legend
[MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]
What if we removed the association between “light” and “good?”

In this world it would have to. The problem that I was trying to elucidate (see it there), was that I'm not sure that this association is as tenuous as all that. I'm not sure you can remove the association.

Even if you try to start with a world reversed, it doesn't feel like it can last. Vampires are good aligned? Surely they'd have to stop feasting, stop polluting, stop dominating. And vampires and every rotting corpse is now good? Is death a goodness? Can we align good with annihilation, claim an empty dead universe with night forever as a benefice? Can you just call everything that was woe weal, and it be so? Or, if you turn everything upside down, will it not be forced to turn with it? Is it all as arbitrary as a bunch of hats? At first it seems so, but the more you dig, the less it feels like you can animate every evil with a spirit of good, and every good with a spirit of evil, and escape very far from where you started.

G

Guest 6801328

1. Kill all the evil monsters for being traitors.

2. Kill all the good creatures for their past crimes.

3. Take their stuff.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I could see an Egypt/Aztecs in the Underdark type set up - perhaps great cities of Lawful Good Orcs who willingly give up their blood to feed their chaotic Vampire/Lich/Mummy Overlords so that they can defend the Mother Dark from the evil forces of the Burning Sun. Death, Decay and Undeath (Immortality) are all viewed as positive aspects of the Mother Dark whereas Light is seen as harmful and healing blasphemous.

Put it on the surface of a tidally locked world where one side is always Dark, or perhaps one where ther sun only rises once every 10 months during the Reign of Fire

Remove ads