• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would it take?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Dreaddisease said:
On TV we have Xena, we have Herucles, we have the whole Gene Roddenberry spin-offs, we have Smallville, we have the Beastmaster, we have Buffy, we have Lost World, we have Charmed, we have plenty of others that I cannot think of. So why are we still missing a D&D based show? I ask this question seriously.

Personally, I think the problem here is that D&D-style fantasy (that is, Tolkien-esque fantasy) has become just mainstream enough to be somewhat cliche, but not enough to be understood/appreciated by those that don't actively get involved in it.

Simply put, most people know what an orc is now, and they recognize the somewhat iconic image of a varied-party fighting against them. So it's easy for people to, at a glance, write the show off without even seeing it. The fact that it will be, comparatively, close to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy in what it offers will only make the TV seem more lackluster in what it offers.

Of course, shows that I find appalling and/or unoriginal were on your above list, so maybe I'm wrong. :confused:

A story non-RPG people will appreciate & still based on generic D&D information.
The idea here is to have something that is watchable even without knowledge of the game. Use a story line that is common enough through the gaming community so that people can relate (i.e. stay away from templates, psionics, unfamiliar monsters, etc.). The promotion of the show can easily keep away from referencing to the sub-culture that we are apart of, as well as keeping the title of the show ambiguous such as "The Campaigns" or "An Adventure".

I see this as being a recipe for failure. Staying away from very esoteric parts of the game is fine (e.g. there's no need to tell us exactly how illithids reproduce through ceremorphosis), but trying to go "middle of the road" in what is offered will only drive people further away - if we go with the very traditional monsters, it will seem to close to LotR for newcomers, and too uninspired for old-hands of D&D.

I'm not saying that we can't have an interesting, great show with just the so-called basics, but there's no reason we can't have a guest villain who is a psion, or a half-dragon, or see an ixitxachitl. Just because some gamers don't use these parts of the game doesn't mean they'll turn the TV off in disgust if they see it on there. Likewise, something new and weird is likely to help dispel the idea among the non-gamers that this show is a Tolkien rip-off.

Attract both sexes with romantic sub-plots for women (keep it clean and very slow paced) and action for men and have a mixed group of male and females, with a common respect for both sides, even if the world is male dominated. Stick to the core rules, if only to keep the behind the scenes aspect something that all D&D fans can easily relate to. Keep an online character sheet of all the main characters, show level advancements and skill & feats & spells used in each episode. Keep the world simple, maybe a frontier type adventure to start with just so its easy to relate to.

You start out with some good ideas here, but things get somewhat unwieldy towards the end, I think. While romantic subplots are pretty necessary (since every show you mentioned above had a few), and sticking to the core rules is easy enough to do (there is enough there to go on without, as I mentioned above, looking like an LotR rip...though I still think, say, a psionic villain works fine).

Trying to actively display things like level advancement, skills, and feats, however, seems like a sure-fire way to screw things up. Things like these are so subtle that attempts to deliberately highlight them end up being too brazen, hitting the viewers over the head instead of pleasantly letting them realize what's happening on their own.

The online character sheet seems cool, but might quickly become outdated, and how complicated it seems could, again, scare away non-gamers who visit.

Cheap & Easy
Xena and Hercules were both filmed in New Zealand for budget purposes. A cheap location, open location is essential. The best reason to start in a frontier setting is to use small sets and few extras. Hire No-name actors, use lots of cheap extras. Stick with costume monsters at the beginning of the show before moving on to digital or animatronics. Battles should be simple, but don't skimp on showing the intensity. Remember, 1 - 5 levels are very simple. Stick with that and the audience won't feel to overwhelmed. Spend time explaining things to the audience, as the characters explain it to each other. Simplify each concept (just not the Star Trek:TNG way) for the intended audience.

And going in with cheap special effects is somehow better than with better-but-more-expensive ones? A guy in a suit still looks like a guy in a suit, and evokes Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for me more than anything else. Make-up to look like a hobgoblin is one thing...a guy in an owlbear costume is another thing altogether.

How the special effects look determines how seriously a show takes itself, and this is very hard to do when there is no real-life basis to model. Seeing characters attempt to act afraid of what is obviously a camera trick made to look like a magic missile just invites people to make fun of the show. Less is not more here; more is more.

Do NOT reiterate what is going on over and over! Audiences are smarter than people give them credit for, and the ones who like the show will work to understand it better anyway. The more popular shows are the ones where things don't seem to make sense at first, and if the characters spend more time than seems believeable talking about things for purposes of laying it all out, it strips some of the mystery and enjoyment from the show. Let the plot thicken, the audience will cut through it on their own. Nobody likes being spoon-fed.

Know What we Want
Harder and harder every year is the expectation of audiences. When you think they want more thought provoking TV, they will turn around and watch some stupid show instead. and vice versa. The key is to stradle the line.

Just the opposite here; trying to please everyone often ends up pleasing no one. Decide off-hand if you want the show to take itself seriously, like Alias, or make fun of itself somewhat, like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. The latter show had its moments of being dramatic, but had a lot of times when it made fun of itself with anachronisms, situational jokes, etc.

Help the audience relate
Use a character to narrate what is happening. Use the wizard. Why? The wizard is the hardest class to straight out accept for the audience, so force them to see it through his eyes, and use the narration to explain the more difficult subjects. I hope that made sense. Narrate at the beginning and end of the episode, even if there seems to be no point, just to catch the viewers up. Andromeda and Stargate SG1 are both notorious for getting very confusing quickly in their storylines, yet they make little effort to explain what is going on. Don't punish the audience for missing the key episode where the plot suddenly changed.

Again, bad idea. This is blatant spoon-feeding the audience, and I talked about that above. The best way to make the plot seem like a single, cohesive whole it to make it a single, cohesive whole. What happens in one episode should be referenced when something from it influences a later episode, but you don't need to give the audience a recap. They'll connect the dots on their own, and even be thrilled at the less-modular style of the episodes. This was a source of strength for Buffy.

Party size, party organization
7, why seven? Well you can introduce seven individuals in one show, sitcoms do it all the time. Base classes for the organization? Bard, Rogue, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter (or Paladin) Wizard & Barbarian. Two women, five men. No multiclassing & stick to the most common spells (at least to start). The one variant rule I would use for the show would be spell points. Unless someone can come up with a usable explanation as to why a Wizard who just cast Magic Missile has to cast a different 1st level spell than because he didn't memorize it twice. Believe me this will seem odd to an audience.

Also a bad idea. While a dramatic action show can handle a large cast, seven is pushing it - all the more so since you want them defined by classes, which is what they do versus who they are. While most shows have personality breakdowns (the brainy one, the whiner, the goofy one, etc). Trying to have them be defined by their class (the fighter, the arcane spellcaster, the barbarian) only lessens their characterization on the screen, since that translates too closely into the tabletop game's focus on power advancement. Don't be afraid to multiclass, since that usually has an accompanying question in why the character wants to explore a new path; that's good characterization, since it explored motivation.

As with the monsters, don't feel compelled to stick to the common spells. Just don't make magical effects up out of thin air.

Likewise, you seem to be abandoning your own rule about sticking to what's "core" when you advocate a spell-point system. That'd just tick off D&D players and confuse newcomers. Rather, explain (when necessary) the magic system as it is: sorcerers pull effects from the air (and, over time, learn more and more complex magicks), and wizards have to memorize arcane formula. It can be easy enough to explain that the memorizing process can "lock in" the magic energies in their mind, or something like that. New, complex things like that can hook an audience. It's whats different about a show that defines it, not what's watered down.

Cheese
Keep the cheese. Spread it around in the right areas, and acknowledge it accordingly. It is impossible to have a potential cult favorite without it. Just keep it out of the intense moments, even if it means the characters don't speak. Cheese can be used to lighten the mood in the program as well as a inside joke type thing.

Not all programs have, or need, cheesy moments. Alias didn't, Star Trek didn't, etc (though these shows may have had funny moments, humor is not necessarily cheesiness). Fantasy is especially risky with this, as the more overt the fantasy, the easier it is to not take it seriously when it has cheesy moments (Hercules was quite serious starting out, and Xena got more so over time). For example, Buffy was much cheesier than Hercules, but her show was set in the modern world, so it could get away with it. Shows that aren't taken seriously on some level don't develop a cult following, as there beomes too great a shame in having just that much interest in the show's world. If you wanted a D&D-style show that had a dark, edgy plot about uncovering and defeating an illithid plot to blot out the sun, that could be very much lacking in cheesy moments.

Ah, the power of no cheese.

Everything else I left out
Special effects are a hard thing to get down, just start imagining the various spells. Color spray, Silent Image, Fireball (how do you show fire for a split second without blinding the audience or violating reason when a rogue evades and has no damage even though they are within the blast radius?), magic weapon. Spend the money here and everyone will appreciate it, especially me.

Which is very different from what you said for the monsters. Why wouldn't it hold true there also? Especially since monster have spell-like abilities.

Use old English.

Do not use old English. That makes it very hard to understand, and appreciate. While it's okay to have a guest character or fringe-supporting character talk in "thee"s and "thou"s, this talk is off-putting to an audience. They want to relate to the people on screen, and a language barrier (which is what this is a form of) is greatly inhibitive to that.

Use old fashioned values.

Also, I think, a bad idea. Do old fashioned values include having equally-treated adventuring females that you talked about above? Old-fashioned is often equated with "outdated". The protagonists, at the very least, should have something resembling modern values.

Stay away from political issues. Like when a bear that attacks the party and dies it can be 'appreciated' by the ranger in a native-American way, but don't berate the audience with some sappy ritual or long message about animal rights.

Not mentioning that a lot of issues are political, this seems like a no-brainer. But this seems more a warning against sappiness than divisive politics.

If a decision or course of the campaign has a morale issue, don't make it the highlight, and don't have it directly relational to ethical and morale issue we have today (i.e. abortion). I think whether or not you believe in 'old fashion' values or social norms, you should have a show based in a medieval setting, use medieval values.

As mentioned, it helps that people watch these sorts of shows to indulge in some form of escapism, so don't give them the crap they have to deal with in real-life...give them just enough to relate this to their own lives, that's all.

Last edited:

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Also a bad idea. While a dramatic action show can handle a large cast, seven is pushing it - all the more so since you want them defined by classes, which is what they do versus who they are. While most shows have personality breakdowns (the brainy one, the whiner, the goofy one, etc). Trying to have them be defined by their class (the fighter, the arcane spellcaster, the barbarian) only lessens their characterization on the screen, since that translates too closely into the tabletop game's focus on power advancement. Don't be afraid to multiclass, since that usually has an accompanying question in why the character wants to explore a new path; that's good characterization, since it explored motivation.

Seven isn't impossible though- Star Trek: TNG made seven (Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, LaForge, Crusher, Troi) work just fine, not to mention a recurring cast of lesser characters (Wesley, the O'Briens, Guinan, Spock, etc) and nemeses (Q, Sela, Gowron, Du'kat)... so there is precedent for it. Though comparing anything to Star Trek is usually a bad idea, since Trek is generally the exception to any given rule regarding television... :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Tyler Do'Urden said:
Seven isn't impossible though- Star Trek: TNG made seven (Picard, Riker, Data, Worf, LaForge, Crusher, Troi) work just fine, not to mention a recurring cast of lesser characters (Wesley, the O'Briens, Guinan, Spock, etc) and nemeses (Q, Sela, Gowron, Du'kat)... so there is precedent for it. Though comparing anything to Star Trek is usually a bad idea, since Trek is generally the exception to any given rule regarding television... :)
I'd say three, plus a second tier of minor characters, then a rotating group of regulars. It really depends on the situation and the setting. If the group is based in a city, then seven might work; you have your primaries (Riker, Data, Worf on most planet missions), then the Crushers and laForges - secondary characters who are in many of the episodes and, once in a while, get an episode to themselves. Then you have your series regulars: your Barkley, your Yeoman Rand, etc, appear in a number of episodes as well. Maybe once every three years you focus on a minor character.

Similarly, you have Buffy/Willow/Xander as first tier, Angel/Spike/Riley/Giles as asst. First Tier, Anya/Tara/Dawn as second tier. Joyce Summers is a kinda of Second Asst. First Tier, demoted to second tier.

Unless you go for a scenario that lets it be an ensemble show. Then you have still about three first tier, but those change throughout the season.

Particle_Man

Explorer
1) Well Star Trek did touch on "touchy" issues, like racism (From Kirk kissing Uhura to those wacky aliens with half white/half black faces going after each other because the other had their faces the other way around, and both thinking the "solid" coloured ones were inferiors.

2) I sort of see an idea where 6 main characters are brought from this world into a fantasy world, by some "dungeonmaster", where they are given magic items and told to fight some bad guys (demons, dragons, orcs, whatever). Each item could define the "class" of the character (although we could play with it, maybe cavalier and thief-acrobat could be types). And maybe give them an amusing animal like sidekick, like a baby unicorn, for that cute factor. And like Quantum Leap, while they are there to solve problems in this fantasy world, all the six characters want to do, is find the way home.

That would rock, man! :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Particle_Man said:
Each item could define the "class" of the character (although we could play with it, maybe cavalier and thief-acrobat could be types).

We just need to go back to 1E Unearthed Arcana, and it should work just fine.

-Hyp.

s/LaSH

First Post
Umbran said:
Incorrect - being set in the modern world, Alias operates with a huge amount of assumed material: Cars and guns and cell phones and credit cards and newspapers and high-rise buildings and pet dogs and pizza...

One major problem with science fiction and fantasy TV is that most of those assumptions vanish. The show has to spend a whole lot of time informing the viewer about what does exist, and how it functions. That's a huge drag on a show that gets a whopping 40 minutes a week.

Yes, absolutely true. That's why I advocated extra world-building time and Innocents To Save. On Alias, people run around with guns in exotic locations, and we know roughly what they're fighting for (liberty! justice! stuff!) so we can root for them. On D&D, they'd be running around with sword and spell and crossbow in exotic locations, but we need to know what they're fighting for or it all seems a little distant and pointless. (Even if we're not talking about a mission-based, department-backed story structure, you need some of this stuff in the show. OK, you killed the dragon, why should we care? Are dragons endangered?)

Fortunately, there's a lot more fantasy stuff in the mainstream now than once there was. Ask anyone who's played Everquest or Final Fantasy how much gold something costs, and I doubt they'll look at you funny. 'Gold' as slang for 'currency' is a little detail that you might think would be strange, but can work easily. And magic swords, well, who hasn't seen Star Wars?

Dreaddisease

First Post
Thanks for the feedback.

One thing that was mentioned was the narration. I should comment on this as I believe it is almost essential to how the story should work. We have a sect of our potential audience that have no clue what is going on. This person would explain it. Its not that they have to narrate through the whole thing, just a couple comments here and there. Our problem is the introduction of a large group, the easiest way is to focus on one person. Even if they aren't specifically talking as an aside to the audience, you need to follow that person around. That is your key figure. When he is in danger, the audience is in danger, when he is watching someone kick butt, the audience does the same.

Group Size was another issue. 7 people are essential to represent, even subtly, the variety of abilities. You can state that eleven is more representational or 5 or less is easier to introduce, but the point is that somewhere in between is a better number. Introduce them in groups, or individually it doesn't matter. 7 is a lot easier than you think.

The example shows are not there to represent the style of the show I am envisioning, they are there to represent what we are missing. Thank you and good night to that topic.

You may not be included in the potential audience. Half the people I know hardly watch TV, and half the people here do the same. That is not the point of this conversation. I think the real idea is not to make a bomb like the D&D movie, or shows that are universally bad like Lost World, or Shena(sp) (if you like these shows then I am sorry, but my opinion can not be changed). I am attempting to get ideas out. I am not making this TV show, nor do I have the means or funds to do such a thing (unless someone made those possible for me).

Cheese. I can see both sides. I would like a serious story where the audience goes through a fantasy setting and sees lots of good (hopefully) special effects that represent interesting spells, monsters, and other stuff. The story unravels and the journey is wonderful. Then there is the other side in which we take a comic look at some of the game mechanics that are just plain silly in reality, or can be silly to try to comprehend. Not an easy choice.

Values, morals and old english. The point of the story is escapism, escapism to a distinctly Medieval setting. The only way an audience can believe or relate to the action and plot is to create a Medieval system of values and morals in a romantic way. Chivalry, subservience of a lower class, and others are just a few. Now on using Old English or talking with thees and thous, thats just for flair.

Thats all I can talk about right now.

jester47

First Post
I think the problem with most Fantasy Films and TV shows and the reason why they are not more readily accepted are that they constantly insult the viewers intelligence. If you look at Hercules and Xena, they were corny, and cheesy, but they did not for one minute pretend that they were not. Thats what makes for successful programming. Thats why Sam Raimi and Joss Whedon are so successful in their properties - they do not insult the viewers intelligence. The West Wing and Law and Order dont do this, neither does CSI. The typical viewer does not need to be talked down to. Show, don't tell. If wizard is casting a spell, your typical viewer will be able to say ah hes using magic to contact his buddy on the other side of the continent. Star Trek, Buffy and Angel have shown that you don't need a lot of explanation. That why a lot of star trek scripts said things like "Right Captain, and if we TECHNOBABBLE TECHNOBABBLE TECHNOBABBLE we will be able to make our shields stronger and the klingons wont have a chance..." Even in enchantments, when the enchanted character starts acting weird the viewer knows somthing is up. You might borrow spell names and if it comes up in conversation actually get to use the name, but you wont have to make it clear what spell was used every time. Some one just uses thier magic to get somthing done.

Identifying the property as D&D would probably not be the best tactic. I would think that a show that took a lot of D&D monsters and place names would work better than somthing named D&D... I would think it best to use it for inspiration not imitation. The title of the show in fact should come last...

Elminster/Uncle Jesse narrative is right out!

A.

Remove ads