• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would the LA be for a large human?

Aaron2

Explorer
I'm currently working on a race that is nothing but a human increased to large size and, thus, given +8 str, -2 dex, +4 con and +2 natural armor. They are sort of the typical Goliath race that once ruled the surface. They would lose the bonus skill points and feat but otherwise be nothing but very big people. They would be physically weaker than an ogre but wouldn't have any of the ogre's mental deficiencies. Right now I'm hovering around LA +2. This plus two HD of humanoid make a four level class with Large being the carrot.

-----------------------------------------
Start with +2 Strength, –2 Dexterity.

GIANT CLASS
Level
1: 1d8 HD, Feat
2: 1d8 HD, +2 Str, +2 Con, +1 natural armor
3: 2d8 HD, Feat, +2 Str
4: 2d8 HD, Large size, +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 natural armor
-----------------------------------------
(I'm not good at formating in posts)

Aaron

Last edited:

cerberus2112

First Post
Aaron2 said:
I'm currently working on a race that is nothing but a human increased to large size and, thus, given +8 str, -2 dex, +4 con and +2 natural armor. They are sort of the typical Goliath race that once ruled the surface. They would lose the bonus skill points and feat but otherwise be nothing but very big people. They would be physically weaker than an ogre but wouldn't have any of the ogre's mental deficiencies. Right now I'm hovering around LA +2. This plus two HD of humanoid make a four level class with Large being the carrot.

Aaron

According to Savage Species, there would be a +1 level adjustment for the unbalanced ability modifiers, a +1 level adjustment for reach (from being large), and a +1 level adjustment for natural armor, for a total level adjustment of +3. On top of two racial hit dice, this would make a 5 level class. Maybe:

Giant Class
Level Hit Dice Skill Points Special
1 1D8 (3 + Int)x4 feat
2 1D8 +2 Str, +2 Con
3 2D8 3 + Int +2 Str, +1 natural armor
4 2D8 Large size, reach, racial bonus feat
5 2D8 +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 natural armor

Sir Whiskers

First Post
cerberus2112 said:
According to Savage Species, there would be a +1 level adjustment for the unbalanced ability modifiers, a +1 level adjustment for reach (from being large), and a +1 level adjustment for natural armor, for a total level adjustment of +3...

I wouldn't count the natural armor as a level by itself, especially since this race has two racial HD (which are almost always worse than class HD). I'd say +2 LA (+4 total) is fine. All IMO, of course.

Remove ads