What would WotC need to do to win back the disenchanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Oh sweet Orcus, please tell me that we as a hobby haven't lost people to *gulp* toy trains!

YouTube - I Love Toy Trains Series
Ummm... *shuffle* I use toy trains in my games. :eek:

I run an steampunk Spycraft game, and nothing does better at representing a steam train than having a model on the table.

However, I have learned to leave the batteries out of the toy trains - gamers, no matter what age, seem compelled to turn the trains on and have them chug around the table....

The Auld Grump, they also seem to like the 'Whoo Whoo!' :p

Clefton Twain

First Post
First of all, sorry for the phrasing of my sentence, it was quite a bit short of stellar.

I can totally see why answers like that would piss someone off. But going from what you tell us, it seems to me that whoever you talked to probably is a nobody, not one of the designers or developers, which I assumed (and that’s really never a good idea in communication) you meant in your initial post.

With that in mind, I am not sure I understand why one low-ranked employee can turn you off from buying WotC’s products. Now, if it was Mike, Bill, James or someone like that, I could (maybe understand why one rude representative could turn you off the game you like. Unless you didn’t already not like it, in which case what happened with the representative has little influence on your choice to not support WotC anymore.

Either way, you are of course entitled to feel however you want, I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong. Just that I do not understand why you react like that.

Cheers

It wasn't this instance alone that soured me on WotC, but it sort of started the whole thing. No, it wasn't a designer. I've never met any of the designers or writers. Most of those with whom I am actually familiar are no longer with the company and have their own opinions on their former employer.

More than anything, WotC doesn't really have a game that appeals to me anymore. That, in conjunction with some of their past decisions/directions and the attitude of said employee plus a couple of other encounters, has led me to spend my $$ elsewhere. I did not intend to make my post sound like one dude drove me away from WotC. Certainly he did not help matters any, but it is a whole combination of things.

Maybe I'm old and jaded. :eek:

--CT

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some very basic terms at the heart of the D&D combat system are confusing - 'hit', 'damage', 'hit points'.

The only reason we don't find these terms confusing is because we've been playing the game for so long.

Um, major problem: The game has always had those terms. And each of us started playing at some point.

So, are you trying to tell us that we were all confused when we picked up the game? That would be... a bit more than you could reasonably claim, sir.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Um, major problem: The game has always had those terms. And each of us started playing at some point.

So, are you trying to tell us that we were all confused when we picked up the game? That would be... a bit more than you could reasonably claim, sir.
Imo it's common for D&Ders to go thru stages. We start off thinking that 'damage' and hit points are entirely physical. After playing for a few years, the inconsistencies become apparent and, over time, we resolve them in whatever manner we deem fit. I think confusion is a good word to refer to this middle stage in which we are aware of the contradictions but haven't yet solved them.

Jack99

Adventurer
It wasn't this instance alone that soured me on WotC, but it sort of started the whole thing. No, it wasn't a designer. I've never met any of the designers or writers. Most of those with whom I am actually familiar are no longer with the company and have their own opinions on their former employer.

More than anything, WotC doesn't really have a game that appeals to me anymore. That, in conjunction with some of their past decisions/directions and the attitude of said employee plus a couple of other encounters, has led me to spend my $$ elsewhere. I did not intend to make my post sound like one dude drove me away from WotC. Certainly he did not help matters any, but it is a whole combination of things.

Maybe I'm old and jaded. :eek:

--CT
Fair enough, makes a lot more sense to me now.

Cheers

Wicht

Hero
Imo it's common for D&Ders to go thru stages. We start off thinking that 'damage' and hit points are entirely physical. After playing for a few years, the inconsistencies become apparent and, over time, we resolve them in whatever manner we deem fit. I think confusion is a good word to refer to this middle stage in which we are aware of the contradictions but haven't yet solved them.

I think you paint with too broad a brush. I've been playing the game since 1982 and have yet to hit your "middle stage." Or maybe we just have a different opinion of what constitutes a "few" years.

Your hit points is equal to the amount of damage you can take before passing out. Its not any more complicated than that (however one wants to think of damage). And yes, as one progresses in levels one can get hit a lot more times. But its just make-believe; its not real and though I like a level of versimilitude in my games I have never once agonized over why a high level barbarian can fall from a cliff and live. It has caused me not an ounce of worry. On the other hand, I don't like healing to come from a guy shouting at you- that just seems silly to me: so everyone has different thesh-holds for what makes them lose their willing suspension of disbelieve, but what bothers you doesn't necessarily bother others.

Herschel

Adventurer
Except how much more actual, physical damage can a "person" take in their life? A first-level character is obviously less skilled than a 10th-level character, but his body doesn't really absorb more punishment. Way back in 1E they wrote about Hit Points being a combination of things and as you level you learn to better "roll with teh punches".

Or look at it this way: I played football in to college. I was a RB, so I had the ball in my hands and got tackled. When you get tackled hard, it hurts and you wear down. As I got better, it isn't that the tacklers hit with any less velocity (especially when you go up in level) but I became better at avoiding direct hits. I was able to avoid major injury in the game this way.

Hussar

Legend
See, this right here is why listening to various people talk about the game is so problematic. They present their points as facts, not opinions. None of the points Shazman makes are actually facts. They are certainly his opinion, and there may be varying levels of evidence to back them up, but, none of them are actually facts.

/snip If you don't like the way all classes have the same structure, or that everyone has at-wills/encounter/dailies, you know that 4E isn't for you. If you don't like having to focus fire on one kobold for three rounds to drop it, you know that 4E isn't for you. If you don't like some of the excessive gamist/metagamey things in 4E like martial healing, divine challenge, healing surges, hit points aren't physical damage yet you can become "bloodied" and "dying" by losing hit points, you know that 4E isn't for you. You can get all of this information about 4E without reading the entire PHBI or playing several sessions of it.

People can make all sorts of claims on the Internet without needing any evidence to back them up. Until such time as evidence is given, it's just a case of dueling anecdotes.

Take the grind issue for example. Some people claim that combat in 4e takes massive amounts of time. But, let's look at the evidence shall we?

On one hand, we have access to four WOTC podcasts, three run by a WOTC designer, and one run by just some guy. The podcast members were certainly not rules experts - in the Robot Chicken podcast, one of the players had never played a table top RPG in his life.

Yet, in all four podcasts, 16 hours of recorded playtime, we have fights that never last more than about 40 minutes, most lasting far less. In the Robot Chicken podcast, for example, they have five encounters in less than four hours. The DM's commentary even makes a point that the first encounter doesn't occur until the 40 minute mark. That's 5 encounters in a hair over 3 hours remaining. Certainly no grind there.

In the "Posterity" thread here on En World, a number of players are reporting combats that last less than an hour, with longer ones usually being special encounters - big boss type things.

OTOH, I have a number of people, many of whom actively dislike 4e, some of whom do not even play 4e and almost never have, claiming that 4e combat takes hours to play. That it "takes 3 rounds of focus fire to drop a kobold". Most of the grind claims are coming from those who are pretty antagonistic towards 4e as a whole.

About the only claim I've seen so far from someone whose opinion I actually trust is MerricB's. Here's someone who has not been constantly bitching about 4e saying that he has problems with combat length. I'm not sure if it's really a problem, but, it does carry a fair bit more weight.

But, that's my point. Those claiming that fights take all these hours refuse to provide any actual evidence beyond anecdotes from their games. People used to claim 3 hour combats in 3e too, yet, I don't think that was too common.

So, no, listening to random internet guy about making a decision about the mechanics of a game is not getting an accurate picture. At best you're simply playing into your own observation bias.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Right, but how can they market to "former" players who haven't given it a try? It's kind of like going after new people but yet not because they already have ideas/tastes related to the product driectly where true newbies more likely don't.
I've never tried playing 4e, though I bought and (mostly) read the first round of core books and have run a 4e adventure in 1e. But I still play D+D, and still consider - or would like to consider - myself as part of the market.

So WotC can still market 5e to me when it comes, and I'll certainly give it a look - and likely end up buying at least its version of the DMG and PH provided they are sold in book form.

Lan-"less rules, more guidelines"-efan

renau1g

First Post
In what way can the 3e fighter and rogue classes be considered counter to any common stereotypes associated with those words? Just curious.

Sure... well I'll just give a quick example of rogue, although it's not edition specific, 4e has this same thing.

Ok, so all rogues are good at stabbing people in the back right? It's their thing. If you look up rogue in the dictionary, it says "2. One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp." in addition to other definitions.

Now, by that definition Huckleberry Finn would seem to be a rogue, but I don't see him stabbing whatever the antagonist's name is in those books in the back. There's many other examples in popular fiction of someone cut from this cloth who wouldn't meet the D&D version.

TBH, I preferred Thief over Rogue for a class name as it was certainly a far better descriptor for what the class does. It finds and disable traps, pickspockets, stabs in the back, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads