• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you change?

Mercurius

Legend
One of the groups I play in is playing D&D 4E and I'd change the power system in it if I could figure out a good way to do it. I'd definitely prefer a fatigue point system for powers, like something similar to what GURPS has, but it seems like it'd be impossible to balance everything with a point system like that.

Yup, me too. I'd like to see a "spontaneous power" system so that one is not limited to pre-configured powers. Also, more flexibility so that you can boost a given power by increasing the target number (I do this already).

I'd also like to see a simpler core with more emphasis on Class Features and less on powers and feats, with those being more optional as kind of "modular detailed differentiations" from features.

I would have put in 4e (or, to be more honest, any edition of D&D past OD&D) different types of arcane magic, modeling elementalists, summoners, and so on, with different spell lists, different class features, and different ways of using magic. This is rather than the 3.x on up method of simply determining if a caster is Vancian or not.

I like this. I am reminded of the magic systems of Brandon Sanderson--they are all quite different and would make nice systems in an RPG. This is one way in which the power system is simply aesthetically unattractive to me: it homogenizes every kind of magic so that while the idea and description might be different, the underlying numbers are the same across the board.

Clarabell

First Post
The system im working on uses some interesting things like Death Essence. If you aquire 100 Death Essence, you are dead. You have mana. You can go over your limit, but for every 5 you go over, you gain 1 death essence. Its like the whole "using magic you aren't powerful enough to use will kill you" thing.

Oh yeah, and the reason i'm asking for your opinions on this is so I can make my system better ^^. So any new ideas are good too.

dicechild

First Post
What I do

What kind of things would you or have you changed in whatever system you use as far as gameplay or rules go?

For me, I'd change the spells per day system in D&D. Never have liked that. That and I'd change combat so its more active, fast moving.

I have changed several things in the past and probably will do more in the future.
I created a critical table with d100 on a normal human body to represent which part was hit by a critical, and then would make something specific happen to hamper characters/NPC/monsters when they were hit with a normal crit. Also do like the triple 20 kill rule.

I would like a system that balances magic better in 3.5E because I always end up with 5 guys who all want to have huge swords and armor, and only one MU. I have thought of running a campaign where you could prepare a certain number of spells, and use them as many times as you want, but after the first time, they would have an increasing chance to do other random effects, or not work at all. This would be down to a minimum based on character level and level of spell. Still working on the system, but I will let anyone know about what I have on it who is interested.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The system im working on uses some interesting things like Death Essence. If you aquire 100 Death Essence, you are dead. You have mana. You can go over your limit, but for every 5 you go over, you gain 1 death essence. Its like the whole "using magic you aren't powerful enough to use will kill you" thing.
So, would the Death Essence points be permanent? An extra mana source for the duration of the rest of your life?

Clarabell

First Post
One solution i used for the spells per day system was to put in mana and say that spells cost spell level+1 mana. Your total mana was your wisdom plus your int bases. It was assumed in combat that you regen 10% mana every turn, so if you have 30 mana, you regen 3. If it was out of battle, it was assumed you basically had infinite mana as long as players used it responsibly.

dicechild

First Post
I think that system is a good one Clarabell, but maybe it would work with making them age prematurely as well. Then you could just say every time they go over 5 they add a year to their age. Then at certain waypoints they would learn they were overusing by using the aging affects on characters.
I am not very familiar with the mana system though, but would like to learn, does anyone have a good link?

Clarabell

First Post
So, would the Death Essence points be permanent? An extra mana source for the duration of the rest of your life?

Basically, yes. There's only one way to remove death essence, and thats by a necromancer. The only problem is that a necromancer has to take the death essence upon themselves, which they probably will not do.

And if you encounter a powerful necromancer, which they are rare in my system, they can take your death essence and use it against you to kill you.

I got the idea to add death essence actually from the Cleric Quintet, where cadderly builds the cathedral and ages.

I think that system is a good one Clarabell, but maybe it would work with making them age prematurely as well. Then you could just say every time they go over 5 they add a year to their age. Then at certain waypoints they would learn they were overusing by using the aging affects on characters.
I am not very familiar with the mana system though, but would like to learn, does anyone have a good link?

Nope. Its pretty much just something i came up with on my own one day because the spells per day thing was really pissing me off.

Aldarc

Legend
* remove Vancian-style magic
* implement universal magic system (i.e., remove the distinction between arcane, divine, psionic, etc.)

athos

First Post
I like the pathfinder change to D&D 3.5 where they give you unlimited 0th level spells. This is very nice at low levels. Of course I don't play pathfinder, so I don't get this benefit, but it struck me as a clever addition to the rules.

Who wants a character that can cast 3 spells and then is done for the day?

I have also seen spellcasters be given a bonus to 0th level spells based on the ability mod, this is nice too, but not as generous as unlimited 0th level spells.

Remove ads