• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you Dream Character be!

northspot

First Post
If you were to remove the Game system out of the equation, what would your dream character be? So don't think in terms of standard races or classes just respond with a description of the character.

This is more of a curiosity item, and for any Game Designers (or DnD Next), just wondering where designers should put forth the effort in creating a good game.

My characters often shift based on the last guy I played, but often my choices are guided by the underlying game engine...I wonder if you could describe your idea character outside of a game engine what would it be like?

I put together a survey with this as one of the questions, most of the questions are very quick, just the description of the dream character might take some time...but it's also the fun part.

Here's a link to the survey:
Favorite Character Survey

Results will be shared here in a few weeks, to allow sufficient responses to be gathered...Or simply reply in forum with your answers.

A lot would depend on the GM. It seems I never get a GM who wants to tell the same type of stories I do, so I find a way to fit his narrative. But it would be great if I could have a GM who cared as much about the characters as he did about his plot. The one GM I do have who likes to really involve PCs is a bit too fond of "bad-ass awesome sweet" stuff for any sort of nuanced roleplaying.

So, if I were to make my ideal "bad-ass awesome sweet" PC, it would be an agile lightning-flinging mage, able to dabble in a lot of different varieties of magic, with a focus on being able to do short- and long-range teleports. With a magic staff, so I can thwack people. Fragile but with lots of tricks to outwit and outmaneuver enemies in battle, and capable of researching just the right spell to handle things when I have enough time.

Ringlerun

First Post
Thats a tough one to think about a dream character. I guess it would be a fighter type, strong, nimble with a huge constitution. I wanderer from the steppes or other inhospitable area. Cunning and resourceful but not that bright. Small and stocky maybe one of the smaller races. Skilled in stealth, tracking and hunting. A naturalist that knows how to use plants for healing or poison. Uses unusual weapons like blow pipe and darts. When pushed to the limit in combat can shapeshift into an animal form to flee or to fight.

northspot

First Post
Thats a tough one to think about a dream character. I guess it would be a fighter type, strong, nimble with a huge constitution. I wanderer from the steppes or other inhospitable area. Cunning and resourceful but not that bright. Small and stocky maybe one of the smaller races. Skilled in stealth, tracking and hunting. A naturalist that knows how to use plants for healing or poison. Uses unusual weapons like blow pipe and darts. When pushed to the limit in combat can shapeshift into an animal form to flee or to fight.

That's the kind of description I'm looking for, here's the guy I would like to play:

An angelic (winged-humanoid) archer/alchemist. Essentially he creates elemental arrows and oils for the group to dose their weapons with allowing them drastic increase in elemental damage or enhancing the base type of the weapon. Healing and other elixirs could be made as well, and grenade type missiles could be constructed, or vials that would create zones of fire or acid on the battle field. His motivations would be primarily gathering reagents and formulas for new creations/concoctions, and spending his free time replenishing his inventory.

The idea came from a friends characters in Asheron's Call, and I just thought that it would be a fun character to play. They would start off focusing on Archery/Hunting as their means of survial and Fletching Skill with Alchemy to improve this ability, as the gain experience they would eventually branch out into melee skills for basic defense and survial, but always seeking to expand their formula library.

I always have any number of character concepts waiting to be played (whether they would actually work well within any particular D&D system or not) so I don't have a dream character as such. Nothing that I've always wanted to play but have been unable or unwilling to for some reason other than that I happened to be running another character at the time.

In thinking about this though I am reminded of a PC concept i had that was inspired by a miniature I'd picked up and painted. He's a witch doctor. The sort that just walked out of an old Tarzan or Alan Quartermain movie. Big, colorful feathered headdress, painted hide shield and spear. Has a lot of abilities based around herbalism and alchemy. Leans toward rituals as opposed to "combat" spellcasting. Sees omens in everything (useful or not, accurate or not) and relies a lot upon convincing animal and other "spirits" to do his bidding or trying to keep the "evil spirits" from interfering.

northspot

First Post
Another guy that would fit into any RP system that I've wanted to play or have one of the characters play, since I typically DM is a Knight or Paladin, modeled after Bill Paxton's character in Frailty. I'd wield an axe named Otis and occasionally a name of a demon would appear on my axe that would need to be destroyed...Now this could be actually a adventure hook for the DM, or simply that the character is insane...it would be a fun character in any case.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
A spellcasting pixie usually hiding in the hair of her barbarian party mate so no one would even suspect anything until the barbarian, seemingly, starts throwing spells around :devil:

Remove ads