• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Would You Like From the Mongoose?

Gamer Girl

First Post
I saw some postings on http://www.mortality.net/board/read.php?TID=4793 that were interesting.

I thought the suggestions for a Quintessential Aristocrat were pretty good. I don't think anyone has done one of those yet. If so, it hasn't been very memorable. There are some definite possibilities for this category. If a Quintessential Aristocrat comes out, I may have to start a new character to try it out.

Anyway...that's my vote.

Frilf

Explorer
Well, I for one would like to see Mongoose clean up their spelling. I mean words like "behaviour", "colour", "valour", etc., are constantly being misspelled. Don't you guys have an editor? Sheesh! And to think you Brits invented the language! :)

[Editorial note: the expressed opinions in this post are not necessarily those of anyone in particular. The comments were made in a highly tongue-in-cheek manner and should not be taken as being rude, annoying, or in any way pro-Yankee.]

[We interrupt this editorial note to say that the opinions of the editor are not necessarily those of the person in particular that made this post. And now, for something completely different...]

Seriously, though. A Slayer's Guide to Kraken would be cool. It would also nicely complement your nautical line of products and the Sahuagin book. Can't sail around indefinitely without running into giant sea beasties, y'know :D ::grins evil DM grin::

Ditto on the slaad book. That would be very nice. However, shouldn't it be titled the Slaad's Guide to Slaying other Creatures?

Darrell

First Post
What I would like to see:

About a gajillion more Slayer's Guides.

A hardcover "Ultimate/Power Class"-type book detailing old and new 'core' classes instead of prestige classes.

A d20 'low-magic' ruleset (and maybe a setting, as well).

Regards,
Darrell King

Shadowdancer

First Post
I've been holding my breath waiting for a Quintessential Bard book. Today, when I looked in the mirror, the blue was starting to turn to purple. Please hurry!

SebastianDB

First Post
The Noble, Upper Social-Class

I've been on an Elizabethan-lit kick lately (re-reading a few things here and there -- like Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"). I never get bored with the recurring subject of social standing (class) that arises time after time in many literature classics during this period.

Thus said, I would definitely be interested in seeing a series of sorts that was able to expand on the multilple sub-classes that exist in a noble, upper-class culture. There are many areas to delve into regarding aristocracy and its social constructs, such as:

--Gender differentiation (women had it soo much harder in Elizabethan times); differences within each sub-class for men vs. women
--Educational upbringing and privilege
--Reverence of religious leadership
--Its relation to marriage (the downfalls and rises of marrying-up or marrying-down; also varies for men and women)
--Pitfalls of being down-classed (removal of titles and honor)
--Effects of relationships with the noble (the "halo" effect -- i.e. servants to the noble have more "pull" with their peers)
--Rights and privileges
--Forming and shaping pubilc opinion (heightened Diplomacy skills)and trends ("keeping up with the Joneses")

These are just a few things that I can think of off of the top of my head.

I think that this would definitely be a challenge to accomplish. But if you could add more depth to the existing aristocrat arsenal, then I think you would be able to take off in a whole new direction with gaming. Of course, don't lose the blood-lust that I live for.

Last edited:

Samothdm

First Post
Ideas for New Books

Here are my two-cents (or, tuppence, in honor of our English friends across the sea):

1) I second the idea on the Quintessential Bard. I've been thinking about this for awhile and even thought of taking a stab at writing one myself since I hadn't seen it done yet. I'd love to see some alternatives to the "singing bard", such as dancing, storytelling, poetry, acting/performing, etc. I do this a little in my world, such as having Japanese-style "Noh" performers actually be bards, but I change the rules a little. I'd love to have a real workable system for something like this, though.

2) The Quintessential Half-Races. Half-orcs have been done, but I think a book with options for other half-races (including the oft-neglected half-elf) would be interesting. Some ideas could be half-dwarves, half-ogres, etc.

3) I like the idea of the Quintessential Aasimar and Quintessential Tiefling. It could maybe be two halves of the same book. I thought that was a cool idea.

4) Okay, this is a personal bias, Matt, but I'd love to see a Quintessential Aristocrat book. :) Also, a Quintessential Expert book would be cool, too.

Neo

Explorer
arnwyn said:
I would like to see a large, detailed, and comprehensive set of barony/realm/kingdom running rules, that starts right at the "beginning". The PCs build a stronghold in the middle of nowhere. Now what? How much would it cost to build a road? How soon do settlers arrive? What should the taxes be? What resources, and how much, can be gained from a certain area of land? At what point do the peasants revolt or become fanatically loyal (ie. a "general happiness" scale)? Etc. It should cover everything from a small bit of land all the way up to a kingdom with multiple cities. No book like that has been done in 25+ years of gaming, AFAIK...

I also wouldn't mind a set of decent economic and merchant rules, such as if the PCs want to build a tavern or inn on their downtime and (maybe!) make some money. Or transport cargo on a ship they own while they're on their way to an adventure location. Or a caravan...

Just suggestions, of course.

I'm glad its not just me whose noticed this particular subject hasn't been touched in any detail, with the exception of Birthright (vut that player more like a boardgame in many aspects) at all!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads