• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What would you like to see added to 5E before it's published?

The Little Raven

First Post
A change from the overly verbose "natural language" to something more simple and strongly codified. And more rigorous design, since I've been extremely unimpressed with what they've shown us in the playtest packets.

Raith5

Adventurer
I would like to see an option for static defences (one of the good innovations from 4th) rather than rolled saves.

I quite like the classes in DDN but would like to see some more interesting spells. Cleric cantrips and 1st and 2nd level spell are way too boring.

I would also like to see monsters revamped and 'stretched' a little. I think way too many of the monsters are clumped around 7-11 hid dice/ level. A hill gaint is 8 hd and level 6 . In my view that is too low. I think lifting giants and demons by a level or two would be a good thing.

NewJeffCT

First Post
What I want is a pony, and a unicorn, as well as them paying me $5,000/month to play the game.

;)

In all seriousness, the big thing I'm looking for is faster and easier combat.

shadow

First Post
The Little Raven said:
A change from the overly verbose "natural language" to something more simple and strongly codified. And more rigorous design, since I've been extremely unimpressed with what they've shown us in the playtest packets.

It's somewhat of a balancing act. While I would rather not read overly flowery, "purple prose" (like Gygax occasionally fell into into in the original AD&D books), I do prefer more verbal descriptions than tables and boxes of numbers. One of my biggest complaints about 4e was how powers were largely written as stat blocks with only a brief verbal description. Although if you were familiar with the rules, it was relatively easy to go through and make sense of them, it was hard for me as a player to get inspired by flipping through the abilities list and seeing block after block of charts and numbers.

Li Shenron

Legend
In the 3 corebooks, I'd like to see:

- more subclasses, at least 4-5 per class

- many, many more feats

- a few more wizard spells, but not that many, just the iconic spells still missing

There are also some changes I'd like, but one by one they are ruling them out so I'm losing all hopes. The only one hope left is at least getting a decent human race, with something that (at least optionally) replaces the horrible stat bonuses.

sheeranonymous

First Post
I'd like to see templates come back. I made a half-red dragon barbarian character in 3.5, and then 4E seemed to do away with templates. It severely cut back on overall character customization in my opinion. I know that some of them were complicated and overpowered, so they should fix some of them (like the half dragon), but I'd still like to see them come back.

And speaking of 4E, I don't really like how barbarians worked in that version. It'd be nice if they scaled it back to one rage with a potential of death.

Gundark

Explorer
I'd like to see templates come back. I made a half-red dragon barbarian character in 3.5, and then 4E seemed to do away with templates. It severely cut back on overall character customization in my opinion. I know that some of them were complicated and overpowered, so they should fix some of them (like the half dragon), but I'd still like to see them come back..
I am not sure what you mean by "do away with" but I remember there being templates in the core 4e books. I think that 4e design philosophy behind monsters just made templates Unnecessary

sheeranonymous

First Post
I am not sure what you mean by "do away with" but I remember there being templates in the core 4e books. I think that 4e design philosophy behind monsters just made templates Unnecessary
It just seemed like there were significantly fewer. I can understand dropping half-dragons, to a certain degree, at least as PC templates, because they were hard to deal with, but then there were simpler ones like Winged Creatures that also seemed to have been dropped. I guess what I should have said was "I'd like to see a lot more of the old templates return."

Remove ads