What would you pay/charge for a heavier warhorse?

What would you pay/charge for this heav[i]ier[/i] warhorse?

dungeondweller

First Post
I'm going to say 1,000 GP because you've made it bigger, badder, AND faster than the normal Heavy Warhorse and because values are not linear. The closer you get to the top end of any product, the sharper price increases get.

You have to ask yourself... Where did a horse like this come from and what goes into breeding and training horses so much better than the former "best of the bunch"? One hint... It's going to be a prime breeder and the price will be high, probably higher than what it's "worth" - but such is the nature of the best. (Go out and buy a really good Scotch Whiskey sometime if you want a case in point...)

All that said, I've never run a campaign where horses were particularly important... And I've never played in one, either... But in an Arthurian / pseudo-historical campaign, I could see something like this being a nice addition.

I statted up CR 9 and 13 versions of Red Hare, using the Wild Cohort "template" and dropping the silly abilities (eg Evasion).

In any event, I wouldn't pay any money for an AC 16 mount. That's just weak.

frankthedm

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I statted up CR 9 and 13 versions of Red Hare, using the Wild Cohort "template" and dropping the silly abilities (eg Evasion).
Mounts practically needed Evasion is a sad reality of this combat system.

I have a few problems with the entire concept of an Extra Heavy Warhorse,
What breed is it based on? A heavy warhorse was traditionally a large breed such as a Clydesdale and they don't come much larger than that.
As the breed of horse gets larger, they get slower, not faster. Speed should be 40 not 60.
Where does the natural armor come from? Thick hide or chitinous plates? The Feat Improved natural armor is unbelieveable. (this sounds snarkier than I mean it to sound.)
Basically, you've created the fantasy version of a giant horse, you would need a ladder to mount/dismount; barding would cost at least 4x the norm; it would be slow as molasses, and wouldn't be able to do more than hold more weight and get in a good kick every so often. How much would I pay, not one red dime...If I were a farmer though, this would make an excellent draft horse.

Remove ads